ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch Slipping

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
During my trip to the Isle of Man my Clio developed a clutch slip but only when pulling away from a standing start.

Under load it appears fine.

The clutch does also make a slight noise when the peddle clutch is engaged (like you can hear it spinning against the flywheel) even when the car is stationary.

Not sure if it could be linked to when the PAS gave up? Could I have got fluid on the clutch?

The clutch was only installed in October and has only done around 600 miles and it was fine when first installed, which is why I think it could be linked to the PAS/Cadwell spin?

Any help would be great especially as I'm due to start sprint events in just under 4 weeks!

Thanks all.

Tom

I was going to suggest the clutch cable until I read about the PS Fluid, that wouldn't of done it any good mate. Coolant is bad enough sometimes. Did you have a leak and if so where from?

What clutch did you replace it with in October?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I was going to suggest the clutch cable until I read about the PS Fluid, that wouldn't of done it any good mate. Coolant is bad enough sometimes. Did you have a leak and if so where from?

What clutch did you replace it with in October?

TBF the power steering fluid leak was more towards the alternator side but it was all over the engine bay when it let go.

IMG_4813.JPG

At the connection above, although this pic is taken after I put a load of liquid metal around it.

It was replaced with a standard Valeo item, although now running a clutch release bearing from GSF as the original Valeo item had snapped off the supporting lips on the original release bearing.

It's possible if you say the fluid went everywhere but not sure that's the issue.

I would recommend swapping that PS pipe... From the picture it looks like the low pressure one but still wouldn't like to rely on liquid metal mate.

If it's just when pulling away maybe the cables knackered and not releasing properly or the different unmatched clutch bearing is causing the issue, but why did the Valeo one break is also the question.

Have you tested higher gears at low revs and planting your foot?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
It's possible if you say the fluid went everywhere but not sure that's the issue.

I would recommend swapping that PS pipe... From the picture it looks like the low pressure one but still wouldn't like to rely on liquid metal mate.

If it's just when pulling away maybe the cables knackered and not releasing properly or the different unmatched clutch bearing is causing the issue, but why did the Valeo one break is also the question.

Have you tested higher gears at low revs and planting your foot?

Sorry the old picture to show where the leak was coming from, I've since gone EPAS. The liquid metal was a temporary fix to get me from Cadwell Park to home (Essex)! The Valeo item was snapped when it arrived in the post, and due to needing the car for Cadwell I quickly got one from GSF.

Indeed, I've done from 40mph in 5th gear and foot flat to the floor and not slipping at all...

Prior to the power steering leak/spin it was fine?

@Scrooge have you any ideas?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My first suggestion would be cable also mate. The new release bearing was almost identical to the Valeo apart from it had stronger tabs. The valeo was like some cheap knock off nigel one for some reason

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Odd about the release bearing? Was the fork etc all ok?

Is the clutch cable clipped in from pedal the box properly?
Fork was fine, the clutch bearing fell apart as I took it out of the box, was stood there with it like what the f**k is this s**t?!'

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
My first suggestion would be cable also mate. The new release bearing was almost identical to the Valeo apart from it had stronger tabs. The valeo was like some cheap knock off nigel one for some reason

Fork was fine, the clutch bearing fell apart as I took it out of the box, was stood there with it like what the f**k is this s**t?!'

I'll give it another look this week, ever changed a clutch cable @Scrooge or do you fancy changing one!

Odd about the release bearing? Was the fork etc all ok?

Is the clutch cable clipped in from pedal the box properly?

I haven't really check anything yet. I'll give it a once over one night this week.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Report back once you've swapped the cable. Unless your entire gearbox is saturated in PS fluid lol

Will let you know, for some reason I'm not convinced its the clutch cable.

When I get home tonight I'll have a look at it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Will let you know, for some reason I'm not convinced its the clutch cable.

When I get home tonight I'll have a look at it.
Is there any oil between the engine and gearbox when you look under the car?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It is a problem, although as long as you get them from the right place then there’s no worry.

Where did you get yours from @a17vts ?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Deeply worrying tbh

I did a clutch on a T4 transporter the other week and when the chap opened the valeo package there wasn’t even a release bearing in it ffs

That’s just poor from whoever sold it, any decent business would do a 5 second check to make sure the kit was complete.

Valeo are pretty good with stuff like that and get replacements out straight away, it annoys the hell out of their customer service team when something’s missing.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Rear main oil seal mate on the engine.
But you'll soon know if there is traces of engine oil.

I'll check at the weekend but I do seem to remember my engine being covered in oil on that side.

There were mutterings regarding fake Valeo`s recently.

Interesting, yet worrying!

It is a problem, although as long as you get them from the right place then there’s no worry.

Where did you get yours from @a17vts ?

TBH I got mine from eBay however was a reputable seller, although I do remember mine was old stock, IIRC it was dated 2016. @Scrooge may remember better than me.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It sounds like it could’ve just been thrown about a bit over time then, unless that seller did try saving a bit of money and tried some ‘cheap’ stock.