ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CMC Composites race splitter

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Every time I see a Clio with this sort of thing fitted, I have a little laugh to be honest. I would bet that, if you back-to-back tested this with and without, it would make precisely zero difference. If any science has gone into the design, I would be amazed.

This may upset their fans, but I think they just look a bit try-hard. The Fabia splitter looks 100x better and you can put the £130 you save towards something that will actually make a difference. That money spent on tuition would make orders of magnitude more difference to lap times than a bit of plastic nailed to the bottom of your bumper.

Rant over :tongueclosed:

I have to disagree, aero mods (when done right offcourse) do work. If you notice the difference of just a splitter, I don't know, but they most certainly have an effect. Go drive 100 km/h, and stick your hand out the window.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I have to disagree, aero mods (when done right offcourse) do work. If you notice the difference of just a splitter, I don't know, but they most certainly have an effect. Go drive 100 km/h, and stick your hand out the window.

That's the critical statement; when done right. I understand the benefits of aero (I have an engineering degree and worked in the motorsport business), but I would be amazed if any genuine R&D has gone into this. If it had, I suspect it would be much more than 140 quid.

106 rallye
That's the critical statement; when done right. I understand the benefits of aero (I have an engineering degree and worked in the motorsport business), but I would be amazed if any genuine R&D has gone into this. If it had, I suspect it would be much more than 140 quid.

Ha ha, i also have an engineering degree and worked in motorsport aswel as turbine engineering etc. You come out with some stupid statements sometimes!

Have you looked into this kind of thing on race cars? Btcc cars? They do it will 11mm ply wood. They think it works, iv done some testing on my corsa when i was at tbe nurburgring and a front splitter does increase downforce. High speed stability iscthe aim of the game with a splitter, if you dont notice a difference your not trying hard enough.

s**t like canards dont have any effect as theyre too small to create and turbulant air. Do you know the theory behind splitters or just read stuff off the internet?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I smell an argument approaching [emoji16]. So if a clio hit 100 mph on track how much downforce would a plank on the front make? And how much more stable would the car be? I've driven my clio at 100mph on a private road and didn't find it unstable enough to make me think about improving it somehow.

106 rallye
I smell an argument approaching [emoji16]. So if a clio hit 100 mph on track how much downforce would a plank on the front make? And how much more stable would the car be? I've driven my clio at 100mph on a private road and didn't find it unstable enough to make me think about improving it somehow.

Turn the wheel at 100mph. It reduces lift, it has to be set far enough out to make it work. My point is you just cant say it doesnt work, thats moronic! Set it right and it works brilliantly

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Turn the wheel at 100mph. It reduces lift, it has to be set far enough out to make it work. My point is you just cant say it doesnt work, thats moronic! Set it right and it works brilliantly
Fair enough. Looking on the website for this one, is there anything there that would persuade you that it's been tested properly and that anyone would be able to set it correctly and feel its effect?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Ha ha, i also have an engineering degree and worked in motorsport aswel as turbine engineering etc. You come out with some stupid statements sometimes!

Have you looked into this kind of thing on race cars? Btcc cars? They do it will 11mm ply wood. They think it works, iv done some testing on my corsa when i was at tbe nurburgring and a front splitter does increase downforce. High speed stability iscthe aim of the game with a splitter, if you dont notice a difference your not trying hard enough.

s**t like canards dont have any effect as theyre too small to create and turbulant air. Do you know the theory behind splitters or just read stuff off the internet?

How is what I said stupid?

Of course you're right; a well designed splitter does make a difference, I never disputed that. But what are the chances that this has ever seen a wind tunnel, basic CFD analysis or even a genuinely experienced eye looking over it? At £140 a go, slim I would guess. I suspect a BTCC team might have a slightly larger R&D budget than some random fella on eBay.

All that being the case, it's more likely to be a piece of plastic in the rough shape of a splitter that's been nailed to the front of a Clio, with more attention paid to looks and ease of fitting than aerodynamic performance.

I never claimed to be an aerodynamics expert. My point was simply that if the OP is looking for gains, he would likely get a bigger bang for his buck elsewhere.

106 rallye
How is what I said stupid?

Of course you're right; a well designed splitter does make a difference, I never disputed that. But what are the chances that this has ever seen a wind tunnel, basic CFD analysis or even a genuinely experienced eye looking over it? At £140 a go, slim I would guess. I suspect a BTCC team might have a slightly larger R&D budget than some random fella on eBay.

All that being the case, it's more likely to be a piece of plastic in the rough shape of a splitter that's been nailed to the front of a Clio, with more attention paid to looks and ease of fitting than aerodynamic performance.

I never claimed to be an aerodynamics expert. My point was simply that if the OP is looking for gains, he would likely get a bigger bang for his buck elsewhere.

Btcc use 11mm ply and stick it out about 6inch, no big budget needed for that!

Im going to be buying one of the cm splitters eventually, they do work.

What else can you do on a clio for 140quid to improve it? Not a lot. Lose weight is free, decent suspension is expensive, engine work is expensive for minimal gains, so what is better for your money? Bit of aerodynamic stability is always a winner in my eyes

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

What else can you do on a clio for 140quid to improve it? Not a lot. Lose weight is free, decent suspension is expensive, engine work is expensive for minimal gains, so what is better for your money? Bit of aerodynamic stability is always a winner in my eyes

Not particularly up on the BTCC. Does a bloke just cut a random shape out of a bit of ply and guess where approximately to nail it on? Just because the material is cheap (chosen for good reasons no doubt), doesn't mean the whole approach is guesswork. The aero on NGTC seems to be quite restricted, including the front splitter, so I suspect that plays a part in the seemingly low tech approach. Though I expect more effort has gone into the shape and positioning than you are giving them credit for, not to mention the impact of the flat floor and the rest of the body panels being bespoke. Given the tight regs, any area of potential advantage will be exploited, budget permitting. If it was as simple as chucking a splitter at the car, race teams wouldn't invest untold millions in CFD and wind tunnel testing.

As I've been trying to say all along, you need to define "works" and "well designed". If you're looking to modify the aerodynamic performance of a car, opening the window "works", it doesn't mean it works well. If this splitter creates 0.1% of additional downforce, it's technically working, but is probably entirely indiscernible to most users. As I have said all along, no one with a brain would deny the potential benefits of a well designed aerodynamic device. What I am questioning is the evidence that this is well designed.

As I said, tuition will gain more time than a splitter ever will.

To each his own.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I have one.

Purely helps my bumper stay on and solid as my bumper mounts are completely broken lol

9F91AAEE-9F57-43B2-BD35-166E43A76BEC.jpeg

130 bags isn't a lot of money looks cool if you like it buy it wouldn't personally buy it for aero gains as there isn't any proof it works sadly

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You don't know how well it'll do till you try it.
Lots of Aero stuff looks pretty stupid, it seems the more silly it looks the faster the car can go.

tilton-interiors-mitsubishi-evo-9-voltex-front-splitter.jpg

4b0f74243f726defeaa60d7aa9d5f92e.jpg

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Just as another option....-
http://bycdesigns.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_17_64&product_id=104

BYC who make a lot of "aero" parts for civics (hence the name BackYard Civics) started making afew "aero" parts for the clio. if I was going to go down the splitter route, which I will be at some point, id be buying these mounts and making my own.
Mounts to the chassis and subframe, as the option to add a air dam also.
IF there was any Cheap gains to be had from a splitter on a clio id personally put my money on this providing the person making the actual splitter did it correctly.
....they also so sideskirts and a BGW which I think if coupled with a flat floor would see the best "GAINZ BRO"
IF I man up and don't mind having a big wing on the back I may go the whole hog, splitter, skirts, flat floor and wing but time will tell:wink:

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I love mine but get sick of tripping over it when I'm in the garage or when I almost stand on it and have to throw myself out the way.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member

There is no way that splitter will improve track times. Its only for show.