ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold-start difficulty

At times during cold-start, my bella seem to be chorking a little... would need a slight rev to clear her throat. Was told that the flywheel could be the cause for the difficult cold-start. Anyone knows what exactly is this flywheel thingy, ie what is it for and why the need to clean it? Could my ignition cables or plugs be the cause for the said prob too? Thanks a mill.

The 172 has very strict EURO3 emissions compliance, and when it comes to cold start it has to make those emissions regs from the first turn of the engine, unlike EURO2 where there was a 5 min warmup period allowed. This is why MK2s have a 2nd lambda.

So it will run rouch, especially when cold as it cant simply dump a whole load of fuel in on coldstart.

Its normal on 172s.

Oh, and if your reffering to the CAS or TDC sensor as some call it, it doesnt need to be touched, unless faulty.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

there is a tech note regarding poor cold start on 172s.the repair is new injection software see your local dealer.a tdc sensor fault would normally cause a complete non start and wouldnt cause a rough start.the pain with tdc sensors is that if they fault the computer will register a fault but when it next starts up the fault is sometimes erased from the memory.

Is that planned do u think?

make the car to pass, then at first service its changed to suit the customer?

lol

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the fact that the ecu erases the fault once its running is a software issue/mistake as the computer should memorise all faults until we erase them.have had this at work a few times that where i have noticed it,only on tdc sensors though never noticed it on anything else.another point is if you try and start the car with any throttle applied it wont register a tdc sensor fault in the first place,strange eh.

i guess, but in HK replacing TDC sensors was as frequent as a regular service. for some odd reason, they just always broke, and then there were the auto boxes (almost all cars in HK are auto)....man. And espace auto boxes!!!! early ones! argh!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

ah yes on older renaults tdc sensors used to fail all the time(espicially when they got hot).used to get a lot of bent flywheels on the autos as well.old espace how horrible.changed a few auto boxes on the v6,what an arse of a job.in fact most jobs on any old espace was a pain in the arse.

we have a little chinese man in teh gearbox overhaul room, and hes always in there, on the floor, govered in box oil (never mind the cancer!) with baulk rings, synchros, shafts all over....grinning........boxes go in, then come out new lol!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i look like him sometimes when im doing ambulances.renault warranty the tight f**kers always make me strip and repair the boxes.