ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Compression test results

Done a compression test on my engine. Haven't driven the car due to clutch problems just want to see if its healthy enough to warrent fitting new belts and clutch

Dry test
1 - 180
2- 164
3- 170
4- 180

Head will be coming off to fit a Megane head gasket whilst doing this I'll lap in valves and fit new stem seals

But are those results ok??

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Slightly worried about number two, I'd re-do the test to confirm and then do a wet test.

Ideally you'd want a maximum of 10 difference across the cylinders, 180->164 is slightly outside that.

Can't do another as engines almost ready to take out. Unless a cold test will be ok?

Wet test did bring up the results but it went up to around 210psi

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Leakdown test is like a reverse compression test where you use compressor to pump air into the sparkplug hole and it measures air loss.

Requires a bit more than a compression test, but it does give you a better idea of the condition.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Erm.... yeah i think so.

You need each cylinder that you're testing at TDC though, so 1 and 4 will be at TDC together and then 2 and 3.

Also need to stop the engine turning over by locking the crank, usually do this in gear if it were still in the car.

You can then listen for where the air is escaping.

Will give that a try when engine is out. I can visually inspect the bores when I go to change head gaskets for the Megane one to reduce the CR

dan's cast offs.
what make tester did you use? if it was a gunson or whoever it is who uses the same one then i'd take the results with a pinch of salt.