ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cons of rs tuner pop and bang map?

turbo 182
Before i start don't slate me! I'm not some chav whos going to be flat out down the Main Street popping and banging all night once i get it mapped lol, simple question really what are the cons from it? I presume to get the actual pops its over fuelling? Can this cause stress to engine components? Current decat with standard system but with out mid silencer, will it blow the baffles in the rear boxs? Also come mot time ill put cat back on, will it still pass mot with this map? Cheers probably been asked millions of times and i have searched but not found what I'm looking for. Thanks

Lotus Elise
Exhaust can suffer, exhaust valves can suffer from the extra heat same with the exhaust manifold.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Over fueling, bore wash, fcuked engine.

Apart from that its great.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Will kill the engine and it will fail the MOT as you need to decat the car in the first place, all the popping and banging will kill the cat.
Plus as others have said some engines are starting to die from having this in place, just have the 98RON Std map, all the same bar overrun and this one is a lot louder than just pops and bangs, youtube Clio 182 scorpion and Yozza, two cars on a drive by with decat and pop and bang, it's horrible, your neighbors will want blood.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Will kill the engine and it will fail the MOT as you need to decat the car in the first place, all the popping and banging will kill the cat.
Plus as others have said some engines are starting to die from having this in place, just have the 98RON Std map, all the same bar overrun and this one is a lot louder than just pops and bangs, youtube Clio 182 scorpion and Yozza, two cars on a drive by with decat and pop and bang, it's horrible, your neighbors will want blood.

The OP said he would refit the cat, so it would pass the MOT with the overrun map on.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
The OP said he would refit the cat, so it would pass the MOT with the overrun map on.

True, but imho it is a lot of hassle, plus if i'm right in my assumption leaves the cat joins which aren't normally exposed to the outside open to corrosion making it a bit*h to get back on, just for a bit of engine destroying noise.

and It will no doubt require a new cat/mani fitting kit after a year as those springs will be nice and rusty..... again more hassle, then there is the problem of the police / vosa finding you on the public road.

I'm not clued up on remapping so what does the 98ron map actually do?

I'm under the impression it evens out the power so you don't have to drop down a gear and wait for the 5k kick?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

I'm under the impression it evens out the power so you don't have to drop down a gear and wait for the 5k kick?

You would still have to drop it a cog to make progress, it just smooths out the power throughout the rev range hence removing the "5k kick" that you feel on the standard map.

The 5k kick is more a dip in the standard map at around 4.5k and then picking back up again at 5k, I think. I'm sure someone more clued up will be along soon though.

Fiesta ST2 MP215

Basically it makes cold running much much much better, slightly more torque down low, mpg up by 1-2. but overall the car just ruins noticeably better.
5k " kick" is still present but not as sharp if you'd consider it that.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Worst thing from pops and bangs is regular lambda replacement. Claims of bore washing are silly, its a tiny extra amount of fuel.

Have p&b on mine but not an RS tuner map, Dan at 519 did mine and tbh unless i drive it like i stole it then it doesnt pop at all, its nice ocasionally on an downshift or when im having some B road fun, but after the first week of pop bang pop down the road it lost the 'oooo bang' factor.

clio 172 ph2
i have just took this map back off my car after about a month. my mpg dropped to 27 and the car ran and started sh%$e. i mailed henk about the issues and he said that it should not be any different than normal but it defo was! not sure if he maybe sent me a "bad map" as i had got the launch controll map for free from some1 on here. ron98 map back on and car running good again and getting 34mpg

BG 182 & 225 T
i got the pop and bang tuner map on my 182 about a month ago and i can only say good things as far the performance!! the ron98 map would be just as good for the power/performance side of things but the pops and BIG flames do make it that extra bit fun!:p

i noticed more torque straight away, and beaten cars i couldnt have before!

BG 182 & 225 T
i have just took this map back off my car after about a month. my mpg dropped to 27 and the car ran and started sh%$e. i mailed henk about the issues and he said that it should not be any different than normal but it defo was! not sure if he maybe sent me a "bad map" as i had got the launch controll map for free from some1 on here. ron98 map back on and car running good again and getting 34mpg

i agree on this, the mpg is a bit worse but if driven well can still achieve 33mpg!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Mpg is no worse in my opinion. Mines not an rs tuner map though its from Paul @ RS Tuning.

182 / 370Z/ 320
Have p&b on mine but not an RS tuner map, Dan at 519 did mine and tbh unless i drive it like i stole it then it doesnt pop at all, its nice ocasionally on an downshift or when im having some B road fun, but after the first week of pop bang pop down the road it lost the 'oooo bang' factor.

Same here although with an RS Tuner I loaded mine up the other night and still to here a pop or bang !
Ady

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Was just about to say that , no chance of bore wash from it

Try sniffing the oil of a car where someone has used the pops and bangs map a lot (ie kept backing off at high rpm) and it ends up smelling of petrol so it appears there is something in the "bore wash" rumours, although I personally believe it to be as much about the change in driving style (long coast downs from high rpm can exaggerate bore wear) than from the difference in the map itself.

If you fit the pops and bangs map and drive normally I dont believe you will get issues but then you will also not really get any pops and bangs either very often, its the people who like to drive in a way to keep introducing the pops and bangs that have the issues with bore wear.

The blowing exhaust baffles to bits, knackering lambda sensors, and increased risk of exhaust valve failure are all risks too, and again are far more likely to be an issue if you keep driving in ways to promote the pops and bangs then if just driving the car normally with that map on.

Try sniffing the oil of a car where someone has used the pops and bangs map a lot (ie kept backing off at high rpm) and it ends up smelling of petrol so it appears there is something in the "bore wash" rumours, although I personally believe it to be as much about the change in driving style (long coast downs from high rpm can exaggerate bore wear) than from the difference in the map itself.

If you fit the pops and bangs map and drive normally I dont believe you will get issues but then you will also not really get any pops and bangs either very often, its the people who like to drive in a way to keep introducing the pops and bangs that have the issues with bore wear.

The blowing exhaust baffles to bits, knackering lambda sensors, and increased risk of exhaust valve failure are all risks too, and again are far more likely to be an issue if you keep driving in ways to promote the pops and bangs then if just driving the car normally with that map on.

What sort of afr are they getting on the over run ? I turned my over run fuel cut off as it was a pain in the ass and most of the settings in the ecu same to be locked out , this is on itbs btw

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What sort of afr are they getting on the over run ?
10s or even less, but its not just the fuelling thats the issue for increasing the ring wear rates, its the EGT changes as well that it must be seeing (although I havent measured) from the ignition r****d introduced.

I turned my over run fuel cut off as it was a pain in the ass and most of the settings in the ecu same to be locked out , this is on itbs btw
This map doesnt just leave over run fuelling on, it increases it, opens the TB (on the ph2, or opens the icv on ph1) more to allow more air through and then retards the timing to ensure it still makes no power.

Its kind of like very very mild antilag essentially, but without having a turbo to make any use of it, lol.

10s or even less, but its not just the fuelling thats the issue for increasing the ring wear rates, its the EGT changes as well that it must be seeing (although I havent measured) from the ignition r****d introduced.

This map doesnt just leave over run fuelling on, it increases it, opens the TB (on the ph2, or opens the icv on ph1) more to allow more air through and then retards the timing to ensure it still makes no power.

Its kind of like very very mild antilag essentially, but without having a turbo to make any use of it, lol.

Ah lol I thought it would just turn the over run fuel cut off and r****d the timing , that's was ktec had done to my base map but it sounds silly so I just fixed the timing and leaned out the fuel on over run

Mpg is no worse in my opinion. Mines not an rs tuner map though its from Paul @ RS Tuning.

Agreed, mine is better overall because of the map and low down power i can drive like a granny and am still getting 37-38mpg where as befor i had cams and remap it was 33-34 and i was trying to drive like a granny then aswell.

Im sure if a granny really drove it, it would hit 40mpg tbh. Not that a granny would ever drive a loud chavvy clio.