ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering a 172/Cup/182...

hey, i have finally convinced myself to just go all out and get one of the above. though i am not really sure which is best for me to go for. i am going into renault sometime this week to see whats available etc.

from my budget i could either, buy a 172/Cup outright, or i could put a large deposit down on a 182, and use some of the change to go on holiday.

what do you all think i should do? thanks

Remapped derv Golf

If it were me......

Id get a second hand 172. I own a Cup but Id perfer to have a real 172 for "everyday" use. Id stick on Turinis and cup spoilers!

Youll loose loads of cash on buying a new 182! Not worth it imo. I will never do it again!!!!

Personally I like my toys and for th loss in performance even though I do track work Id go for a 172 full weight.

Everyone has different tastes though. You are in a good position to buy a car so you might fine the dealer able to get a decient priced 182 with all the stuff in the end to total about £11k (dont forget that you can use there 0% credit and stick the money in the bank and earn interest whilts Renault is paying fr it.

yeah thats what i am thinking. really like the flame red colour, well think that is the name of it. and think i would rather hav all the toys etc.

surely you cant get 0% finance on a 182? what size of deposit do they normally look for. i have only had one car and i got it from my mum, so this is all new to me! lol

Remapped derv Golf

0% means f**k all when you loose 1.5k as soon as you drive it out the dealership. Unless you can get an awsome Friends and Family discount at Renault - dont bother buying new.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 02 July 2005

0% means f**k all when you loose 1.5k as soon as you drive it out the dealership. Unless you can get an awsome Friends and Family discount at Renault - dont bother buying new.

I am in the same possition in buying one of the mentioned RS Clios.. you have a good point about this.. if there were not many extremely low mileage cars on the web for sale.. then I could understand buying new.. but there are tons on Clio 182s for sale... think I may just let someone else take the £1.5k hit.

Most are £10k for a low miler 182 with cup packs fitted on Autotrader.co.uk and everyones gonna take a discount for cash.. so under £10k u got a low mileage as new 182 with all the goodies! Last I heard traders are offering to buy for only £8k - £8500 on almost new 182s!

Also, the Inferno Red 182 colour you mentioned u like is no longer in production on the 182! There may be a few left in storage being cleared, but no more from last week!

ok cheers, i was on about the flame red on the 172 non cup. might be the wrong name but im sure someone will correct me. would a dealer be able to source a used/nearly new car for me? if i went in to my local one, would they be able to find one from somewhere else in the country?

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 02 July 2005

ok cheers, i was on about the flame red on the 172 non cup. might be the wrong name but im sure someone will correct me. would a dealer be able to source a used/nearly new car for me? if i went in to my local one, would they be able to find one from somewhere else in the country?

My bro went into Reno just to see one, and came away with a used 3k mile 182 with cup packs.. so they may have a used one...ring and ask your local dealer if they have any coming in etc... but ull save more by buying privately.. why do u want to buy from Reno? Ull still have the 3 year warranty remaining?

2005 Impreza WRX STI

dont go to a dealer for 2nd hand mate buy private!much cheaper. get an aa inspection if your not sure and hpi check it. u will still be better off than buying from renault

not to bothered where i buy one from, would prefer privately, its just to maybe get a test drive etc just now so i can make my mind up, seems to make sense to me?

172 Cup is a lot of fun if you can drive, if you dont think you can or are unsure of your ability, id go for a 172.

/y0z

i think i would prefer a 172 with the cup spoiler, just as i like my gadgets etc. lol. but if i could get either i would be happy

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 02 July 2005

i think i would prefer a 172 with the cup spoiler, just as i like my gadgets etc. lol. but if i could get either i would be happy

Same as you mate, I really like the Cup.. with the Turinis! but will be an every day (week day) car... and for better build quality and more luxuries... think Ill take the full fat version 182. I wouldnt use it as a track day car, so the weight saving isnt as important to me.

Both quality cars.. but each person will have different reasons for owning either Cup and Non-Cup. I am planning on getting a Full fat 182 and fitting the Anthracite Turinis like the trophy... think they look spot on.

Sinclair C5

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 02 July 2005

172 Cup is a lot of fun if you can drive, if you dont think you can or are unsure of your ability, id go for a 172.

/y0z
lol, because the 172 cup is such a hard core racer compared to the 172 :confused:

Remapped derv Golf

Let make one thing clear! A Cup has just as good build quality as any other RS CLIO! They just have less gaddets and cheaper seat covers!

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by warine_warrior on 02 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 02 July 2005172 Cup is a lot of fun if you can drive, if you dont think you can or are unsure of your ability, id go for a 172.

/y0z[/QUOTE]lol, because the 172 cup is such a hard core racer compared to the 172 :confused:

The Cup is quite a different drive to the 172 mate. A tad skitish in the wet.

I was in a similar position at the start of the year - i.e. wondering whether to get a new 182 or a used 172.

I got a 3-year old 172 Ph2 because the bang per buck factor was higher. Finding a brand new 182 for less than £13k wasnt that easy when I added all the extras and considered that I didnt live near any car supermarkets!

Id recommend you looked at some slightly older 172s or 182s rather than spending on a new car if youre not 100% that you want a brand new one.

Get a ph1 172...they look better, come in better colours, are cheaper, have toys, basically the same car...

Burgandy 174 sport t

Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 03 July 2005

Get a late 172.

Have just bought a Jan 04 (53 plate) 172, it has all the gadgets a 182 has. Saves a bit
tell me its not black and ur from glasgow area?

hey, thanks for the replies. yeah i am not too keen on buyin new, just as the depreciation is supposed to be pretty bad. think i will hunt around for either a 172, few years old, or a 182 nearly new. think i will be going for the non-cup version though. cheers

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 02 July 20050% means f**k all when you loose 1.5k as soon as you drive it out the dealership. Unless you can get an awsome Friends and Family discount at Renault - dont bother buying new.

No but buying a new car gives you a 3 Year Warranty, tax for a year and free roadside assistance for a year, which also gives peace of mind.

Also you get the opportunity to own the car from new and look after it properly, if you decide you want to change, you can chop in in with the dealer and start again...

Wanna save money and get a decent car, buy a 2002 Polo. Want to have fun, go get a Renaultsport Clio!!! You only live once... you might aswell enjoy it!!

Thats what im thinking just now, could just go for the 1.6 16v, or a megane coupe, but think i would get bored of them quite quickly, im looking for somethin to last me at least a couple of years. so a 172 seems about right.

was out in a CTR last week, that was just amazing imo, just seemed to keep pullin and pullin, just wish i could afford one of them!! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 03 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 03 July 2005

Get a late 172.

Have just bought a Jan 04 (53 plate) 172, it has all the gadgets a 182 has. Saves a bit
tell me its not black and ur from glasgow area?

nah ste lives near me down in Lincolnshire.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..2nd hand full fat 172, money left over to get some new wheels etc and go on holiday :cool:

The 172 cups dont have ABS, xenon lights, a/c & leather/alacantra seats is that rite? Has anyone gone from ABS to non ABS whats it like? Im going to buy a 172 cup i think in 18 months after my lease is up on my 1.2.

Sinclair C5

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 02 July 2005

/y0z
lol, because the 172 cup is such a hard core racer compared to the 172 :confused:

The Cup is quite a different drive to the 172 mate. A tad skitish in the wet.
I dint ask if it was diffrent mate, I asked if it was a hard core racer compared?

Its a budget hot hatch in both forms, live with it girlfriend !

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Quote: Originally posted by clio_zak on 03 July 2005

The 172 cups dont have ABS, xenon lights, a/c & leather/alacantra seats is that rite? Has anyone gone from ABS to non ABS whats it like? Im going to buy a 172 cup i think in 18 months after my lease is up on my 1.2.
i went from a punto gt which has abs, to my cup. One thing people dont realise is that abs doesnt really shorten the braking distance, it just makes steering easier to control in a skid, as it cant lock up. IMO the cup brakes are awsome, lots of grip touch wood not locked up since purchase (dec) If you need abs to drive, you shouldnt be on the road because your driving too fast for the conditions

dont worry about it, just ask yourself do you need it?

[Edited by gt_gaz on 03 July 2005 at 6:17pm]

^^Bollox - the ABS system is computer controlled to stop the brakes locking up and bring the car to a halt in a short distance. Youd be hard pushed, if at all, to find a human thatll be able to do that quicker. By your arguement, stamping on the brakes and having them lock would brake quicker...not the case.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

there is f**k all difference if you dont lock the brakes, ie skilled driver, the difference is the control if you do lock, you cant steer if it does lock up, where as you can with abs......

What im saying is that it would take a VERY VERY skilled driver to apply be able to brake as hard as an ABS system but without locking up. Certainly amongst the BK drive through bretheren youre not going to find anyone!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

taken from a site about abs systems......

Purpose: ABS was designed to help you maintain DIRECTIONAL control during emergency stops and when road conditions are poor. By maintaining control, you have better chances of avoiding a crash. ABS is especially useful on wet and slippery roads

owned.

How owned? Im not disputing what ABS does, im disputing that Mr Joe Public is going to able to do a better job (i.e brake quicker in any situation).

LMAO *rolls eyes*

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 03 July 2005

^^Bollox - the ABS system is computer controlled to stop the brakes locking up and bring the car to a halt in a short distance.
but it doesnt though, it makes it easier to to steer IF you lock up. If you dont lock the wheels there is no difference in stopping differences.

so what i said isnt bollox, its factually correct. People have this clouded vision that abs is a majical thing that majorly reduces braking distances, it doesnt it just helps control

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

/y0z
faster, better brakes, better balance/ handling?

Quote: Originally posted by gt_gaz on 03 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 03 July 2005

^^Bollox - the ABS system is computer controlled to stop the brakes locking up and bring the car to a halt in a short distance.
but it doesnt though, it makes it easier to to steer IF you lock up. If you dont lock the wheels there is no difference in stopping differences.

so what i said isnt bollox, its factually correct. People have this clouded vision that abs is a majical thing that majorly reduces braking distances, it doesnt it just helps control
As i said, im aware of how ABS works but for your ordinary bloke in the street to have as much sensitivity on the brakes as this system (i.e be able to brake absolutely as hard as possible without locking up) isnt going to happen. Therefore under hard braking, hes going stop quikcer with ABS than without, wether they lock up or not.

See what im saying...its not an issue of braking performance (without locking) being better with or without ABS, its wether youre going to find anyone whos got the ability to apply the maximum force without locking better than a computer...youre not.

ABS is better in all cases for the masses....fact.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

/y0z

Its comments like this that make certain cup owners sound so self righteous.