ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Converting Drum to disc on mk1?

Ph2 Valver, Mini
i have what started out as a mk1 1.4rt, it has valver brakes on the front but still has drums on the back, how do i go bout converting to discs and is it difficult?
any help much appreciated!!:approve:

I don't see the point personaly I wish my car had drums as disk arn't that big and impressive and the back does very little anyway.
Anyway fotment should be easy you just need to set the pressures up right.

Ph2 Valver, Mini
reckon ill stick to drums then! just get some drilled and grooved discs and some ebc pads or somethin for the front! Cheers anyhow!

If running fast track, with performance discs, and a high powered engine, surely the rears would heat, fade, and then cause probs like the rear spinning out?!

Interesting, thats the 2nd time I've heard of a Clio TT this week. There's not much Google info on it, apart from lots of impressive (and some less impressive) youtube vids.

So its a Clio (mk1?) with an Audi TT engine. This is a custom, handbuilt mod so there is a just a handful of them out there?

THE ClioTT was built by MattBlack. it is now owned by Not Normal Developments (forum name). it uses the VAG 1.8 20vT engine. it was originally a mk2 ph1 clio in orange. It was then converted to a mk2 ph2 and painted in Matte Black. There are a couple of mk1 clios that have had the same conversion done. Things may have changed since, but definitely when it was in the hands of Matt Black it used the original rear beam which was drum brakes

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
THE ClioTT was built by MattBlack. it is now owned by Not Normal Developments (forum name). it uses the VAG 1.8 20vT engine. it was originally a mk2 ph1 clio in orange. It was then converted to a mk2 ph2 and painted in Matte Black. There are a couple of mk1 clios that have had the same conversion done. Things may have changed since, but definitely when it was in the hands of Matt Black it used the original rear beam which was drum brakes

i thought it was the same shell with a Ph2 front end?

Flan did a Mk1 with a less powerful version of this :)

Seems pretty nippy! If he'd gone to all that effort, why on earth did he start off with one of the lesser models with drums I wonder? (if this is indeed true).

it was a sleeper

Brilliant, so happy!! Just Urban Dictionary'd 'sleeper'. This is exactly what I've been trying to do, didn't realise there was name for it! Adore the classic look of my mk1, but it would be superb with a 172 engine. A cheap but chic modern classic with careful exterior modding, but will fly from the lights is everything I want and need from my drive! Please help me get there. I will be posting along the way but will need ClioSport assistance to make it happen!

Quote from Urban Dictionary:
Often reffering to what appears to be a ordinary looking stock commuter car that is anything but stock under the hood. Pretty much the exact opposite of your every day riced up civic.
My bone stock looking 1967 Volkswagen Beetle with a dual carbed, big bore and race head equiped engine gives quite the ego bashing when a ricer can't hold up to his own challenge at a light.

Last edited:
Having said all that, I'm sorry but I would still be very nervous about taking a 400bhp (TT) lightweight car around corners at high speed with stock £20 a pair drum brakes on the back. Common sense says it will all end up a bit James Dean.

I can't help but notice all the impressive youtube speed tests (quarter mile in 12 secs etc) are in a straight line! I wish a drum / disk swap was simple (as it would hardly implicate a covert upgrade), but have decided to make do for now - it might be better to uprate rear brakes if necessary after implementing other upgrades*

*as he screeches into the bus stop.

Last edited:
well i have just read the new owner is actually taking it to 500bhp and as far as I am aware is still on those £20 drums ;) PM him and ask him about it. I am sure he will confirm the drums are fine.

well i have just read the new owner is actually taking it to 500bhp and as far as I am aware is still on those £20 drums ;) PM him and ask him about it. I am sure he will confirm the drums are fine.

For some reason, I actually like and believe you ( ;) ), but can you please post some contact details so I can further discussions with the mechanic.

Having said all that, I'm sorry but I would still be very nervous about taking a 400bhp (TT) lightweight car around corners at high speed with stock £20 a pair drum brakes on the back. Common sense says it will all end up a bit James Dean.
You shouldn't be braking in the bends.

Seems pretty nippy! If he'd gone to all that effort, why on earth did he start off with one of the lesser models with drums I wonder? (if this is indeed true).
No need to stock were good enough plus he works at a breakers yard so no dought got the car cheap. it was a 172 engine car first.
So its a Clio (mk1?) with an Audi TT engine. This is a custom, handbuilt mod so there is a just a handful of them out there?
4 I think at last count.

If running fast track, with performance discs, and a high powered engine, surely the rears would heat, fade, and then cause probs like the rear spinning out?!
Nope not realy.