ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Convince me to buy a Clio rather than a MG ZS 180

clio renaultsport 18
Hi, I've got a 4 kids and a wife, so "we" have an 07 Smax 1.8 tdci remapped to 140, and a standard 06 998cc C1, both owned from new.
I've decided to sell the C1, budgetting for £3k, and spend this on something more "fun" ..... I am a homeworker, so usual mileage is 5K pa ......
I have a fondness for the MG badge, and planned to buy an MG ZS 180 Mk2 (2005) which retail 2k-3k ..... I have been to see 5 MG ZS 180 Mk2 since Oct, including one today (see the Ignition Blue one @ Hucknall) BUT each one I've view has had a SHOWSTOPPER ..... I'm in S36 S. Yorks, and it would appear that MK2 MG ZS 180 within a 70 mile radius are as rare as Hen;s teeth .....
Yesterday I went to see 04 Clio 182 91k FSH/belts done/Scorpion Exhaust + panel filter ...... retailing @ £2.1K in Bradford .....
there seems to be "more" renaultsport around ....
So I have £3K to spend .... convince me to STOP looking for the "holy grail" Zed, and start looking for a Clio ;)
Cheers
Paul in Penistone

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had two facelift ZS180's and they are bloody superb cars. I had a nightfire red and a trophy blue saloon.

Good cars, but the build quality is shambolic, they literally fall apart round your ears. Cambelt kits are about £700 fitted.

Clio's are a completely different bag. The build quality is (marginally) better but they are a different car to drive.

Tough call in all honesty!

*Edit, the MG's are proper basic. Keep fit windows in the back, Aircon as standard (climate cont was an option!) and that's about it. Woeful plastic leather look chairs too.

With the clio's, if you buy a normal one, you'll get auto lights, auto wipers, Xenons, leather/alcantara etc.

Thinking back, for a daily, i'd love to have my blue saloon back again. Loved that car.

mg-zs-saloon-05.jpg

Last edited:
Cambelt Aux belt and dephaser + service is £700 on a Renaultsport Clio tbf.

Not doing great at this convincing so far are we lol!

Erm.... Welcome, buy a clio, they are bloody good fun. The end.

clio renaultsport 18
Cambelt Aux belt and dephaser + service is £700 on a Renaultsport Clio tbf.

Not doing great at this convincing so far are we lol!

Erm.... Welcome, buy a clio, they are bloody good fun. The end.
The big problem with Zeds I've seen is the lack of Cam belt change (not reflected in the price)/build quality (water ingress/loose door handles) .... great drive though ...

clio renaultsport 18
I've had two facelift ZS180's and they are bloody superb cars. I had a nightfire red and a trophy blue saloon.

Good cars, but the build quality is shambolic, they literally fall apart round your ears. Cambelt kits are about £700 fitted.

Clio's are a completely different bag. The build quality is (marginally) better but they are a different car to drive.

Tough call in all honesty!

*Edit, the MG's are proper basic. Keep fit windows in the back, Aircon as standard (climate cont was an option!) and that's about it. Woeful plastic leather look chairs too.

With the clio's, if you buy a normal one, you'll get auto lights, auto wipers, Xenons, leather/alcantara etc.

Thinking back, for a daily, i'd love to have my blue saloon back again. Loved that car.

mg-zs-saloon-05.jpg

Nice motor ....Todays viewing was a 55 in the same blue as your photo, so Rover were sending them all out with all the extras .... full leather interior, full electrics, but it had not had the Belts done .... I was the 1st to view it,bUT the dealer knew it was the best on offer in the Uk at the moment, so would not budge on the asking price .... LOL, it was sold today to the next viewer ... its still on ebay, but removed from autotrader + garages own site .....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I sold a 54 plate, identical to the one above, belts done, 61,000 miles, 2 owners, proper clean car, and I advertised it for £1999 and it sold within 24 hours. I then took about 5 more calls on it.

After doing more research I should have had it up at £2999.

Gutted! lol

WRX
As a family man too, I'm struggling to think how to convince you as I like MGs too. I could have said you'll get nearly twice the mpg but that doesn't really matter on 5k. Build quality and general reliability should be better on Renaults and the performance maybe marginally better I suppose. But if you've got the kids and need to take them out, 4 doors is so much easier.:banghead: If I was in your position, I think I'd just be open minded and go for the first good one out of the two that caught my eye.

04BGFF182CLIORS
ZS180's are cracking cars - one of the best handling FWD chasis' in my opinion (and the opinion of some people in the know) The V6 is an awesome engine aswell. Basic cars, but massively under-rated.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Years ago I nearly bought a rover 45 as a family car due to the massive boot. I just can't get past the imagine of these MG's. A personal thing I know but round here a lot of them are chav'd up and driven by ejit's.

My dad had a 25 for ten years from new and it didn't hold up well both in the interior and mechanically.

clio renaultsport 18
Come on team ..... convince me !!!!!... I've been looking for the "right" Mk2 Zed since October ... I'm now begining to believe they don't exist in the North of England, and.... BTW ... the Smax is used for family shuttles .... the "fun" car, for taking me to training, *single) kids activities

WRX
Not on the V6.
If you are only ever going to use it for fun then get the Clio!
I use mine for work and track and the wife's for "home use".

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
The MG will cost u a fortune in repairs take this from someone who had non stop problems with one, Clio all day

WRX
Well the performance overall is very similar, if like me you're having a midlife crisis and want to be a big kid, reliving your younger days in a hot hatch, go for the Clio. Sure you won't regret it. However my sensible part says when you're at family age, often you need the bigger car.