ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Convince me to keep my 172

Leon TDI

Hello everyone!

So should i keep my 172. Its been a catalogue of hassle since the day i traded in my MGF for my X reg 172.

1) Within 24hours i had to call out the AA as it failed to start. The Patrol Man couldnt get to the engine as screws on the silver engine cover were cross threaded. He managed to get the car started and it worked fine for another couple of days.

2) Again, a few days later it failed to start, and the AA towed me to the Renault dealership where i brought the car. There was a problem with the timing sensor which was replaced.

3) When i checked the oil last week, the garage failed to fix the cross threaded screws, and its due to go back to the garage on the 20th for this to be fixed.

4) When activated the alarm* does not imobolise the engine. It is due to go back to the garage on the 27th for this to be fixed. It has to go to a city dealership to fix the alarm, as the local dealer does not have the equipment/skills to fix locally.

5) The vertical door trim is loose which rattles when the window is down.

6) The adjustable seat belt mechanism by the door has a really annoying squeek, when ever the belt moves whilst driving.

* A question on the alarm/imoboliser. My 172 has a LED mounted on the plastic housing down by the gear stick console. Is this standard on 172s, as this doesnt look factory fit.

I have told the garage i am not happy at all with the car and want it thoroughly checked out when it goes back in on the 20th.

I brought the car as i love my friends 172. but i think all this negative feedback after only owning the car for a month has put me off the 172. So tell me how great your car is convince me to keep it!

Woof

work through these issues, and you once they are sorted you wont regret what you ave bought, dont worry, you too will soon be driving and modding your car (But be warned - I havent driven my car for 3 months! hehe but its gonna be all worth it tomorrow :) )

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 10 October 2003

LoL its development, and I wasnt in a rush hehe

nowt major, so I doubt anyone will talk about it ;)
So where is the development at now Roamer?

Convince me to keep my 172

How about if you dont keep it the Cliosport heavy crew AKA as "CHC" are going to come round and knee-cap you?

;)

Audi S3

y dont u write down all that is wrong with it tell them to fix it all... and tell them that if they dont or u get any more problems u will reject the car. and go buy a rivals ( CTR etc.) just an idea

Other than that go buy a willy much better he he

The alarm is fitted by dealers once it arrives in the uk, so that’s normal.

All I can say is, its worth sorting out the problems if you really do enjoy driving the car, I have never regretted getting a 172 despite some minor niggles and the fact that its French!!

Youll soon be looking like this ---> :D

just do two things:

1. start the engine (with or without the help of the AA man),

2. drive it round some twisty roads within your limits, but safely quick.

If you dont have a smile on your face after that, then Ill prescribe you some Prozac.

Dr Martin

Hi Woof

I have a 172, ive had it for about 4000kms now. I bought it second hand. Its been to the dealer 5 times sorting out rattles, carpets, gas pedal, clutch, exhaust and it needs to go again for the window washer bottle. The dealer sorted out all the problems to date, without any problems. I get p#$%ed of everytime and think of selling it, until I get behind the wheel, then all bad feelings just melt away and I relax and enjoy one of the best cars ever created. Features and performance many cars can only dream about!

Rather get another one than selling and buying something else.

Clio 172 Rulezzzzz!!!

Mk2 Golf GTI

"Convince me to keep my 172"

well it could turn out like roamers, thats a good enough reason for me!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Woof on 10 October 2003

Hello everyone!

So should i keep my 172. Its been a catalogue of hassle since the day i traded in my MGF for my X reg 172.

1) Within 24hours i had to call out the AA as it failed to start. The Patrol Man couldnt get to the engine as screws on the silver engine cover were cross threaded. He managed to get the car started and it worked fine for another couple of days.

2) Again, a few days later it failed to start, and the AA towed me to the Renault dealership where i brought the car. There was a problem with the timing sensor which was replaced.

3) When i checked the oil last week, the garage failed to fix the cross threaded screws, and its due to go back to the garage on the 20th for this to be fixed.

4) When activated the alarm* does not imobolise the engine. It is due to go back to the garage on the 27th for this to be fixed. It has to go to a city dealership to fix the alarm, as the local dealer does not have the equipment/skills to fix locally.

5) The vertical door trim is loose which rattles when the window is down.

6) The adjustable seat belt mechanism by the door has a really annoying squeek, when ever the belt moves whilst driving.

* A question on the alarm/imoboliser. My 172 has a LED mounted on the plastic housing down by the gear stick console. Is this standard on 172s, as this doesnt look factory fit.

I have told the garage i am not happy at all with the car and want it thoroughly checked out when it goes back in on the 20th.

I brought the car as i love my friends 172. but i think all this negative feedback after only owning the car for a month has put me off the 172. So tell me how great your car is convince me to keep it!

Woof
Other than an initial problem with the timing sensor all you have is a few squeaks.. nothing much to complain about as most cars come with a lot more wrong than this. The alarm will get sorted. Once you get past the few niggles of a new car you will love the car not loathe it.

Quote: Originally posted by canfordcliffs on 11 October 2003

Yeah ditch it and buy a TVR, they are very reliable.
You ever seen one crash? I know what Id rather be in!!!

Surgeons are currently fighting to save my mates leg after he hit a lamp post last monday!

Keep the 172, once the little niggles are sorted you will love the car!

Volvo S60 T5

Keep it, great car, so what if its got a few rattles what car aint! stop being so picky and have fun in it.

Get two new keys coded and bin the other ones to solve the non start.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Id keep it, kept mine, had a quite a few more teething problems with mine, but when I go out for a late night blast and come back with big grin it reminds me why I put up with the s**t.

Also think its cool how people take a second look at teh silve 2.016v badge on side.