ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cordless Impact Wrench

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looking for a cheap one of these to make changing wheels quicker and easier, any recommendations?

Looking at this one but seems almost too cheap http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir24-24v-cordless-impact-wrench

I would like a dewalt/makita but dont want to pay so much for something that will only be use once a month. The ones NWP used looked good but not sure what they were.

Edit: Just found this https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/...s-impact-wrench-1-2andquot-square-drive-body/ but not sure what batterys it takes, if it takes the same as our other makita stuff it could be good.

ph1 172
ive got the cheap one from machinemart..think it cost £25
works well but wont take much punishment.
good for suspension top mounts and rear disc nuts.

Polo + Micra
looks like that makita takes the 18v Li-ion batteries

i was looking at getting the makita btw450 to go with the other 18v makita tools i've already got

I was thinking about this today, Not looking for one to un torque and re torque bolts.. Just one to take the bolts in and out fast.

Suppose id just be looking at a attachment to a normal drill wouldn't i?

I've had that Clarke one in the first link for the past 2 years it's great I'd highy recommend it. Makes changing the wheels at trackdays so much quicker, don't need to loosen them off just jack up and use it to undo all the bolts. It's great on topmounts too! I was going to spend a lot of money but the Clarke one does the job!!

clio 182 cup
Looking for a cheap one of these to make changing wheels quicker and easier, any recommendations?

Looking at this one but seems almost too cheap http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir24-24v-cordless-impact-wrench

I would like a dewalt/makita but dont want to pay so much for something that will only be use once a month. The ones NWP used looked good but not sure what they were.

Edit: Just found this https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/...s-impact-wrench-1-2andquot-square-drive-body/ but not sure what batterys it takes, if it takes the same as our other makita stuff it could be good.

realistically, a "cheap" impact gun probably wont get your nuts off. i have had several and now have a dewalt 18v unit 418Nm. once the nuts have been driven on and got themselves wedged in the taper or have rusted and siezed on, even the dewalt can struggle. its well worth investing in a good one of your gonna buy one at all. ive had 4 different ones now ant the dewalt is the only one i feel is upto the job...and its quite efficient so batterys last long enough to do the job.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66213...nch?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-DEWALT IMPACT-_-66213

very good price. i paid closer to £400 a year or so ago.

e91 330d/type r mini
I've had that Clarke one in the first link for the past 2 years it's great I'd highy recommend it. Makes changing the wheels at trackdays so much quicker, don't need to loosen them off just jack up and use it to undo all the bolts. It's great on topmounts too! I was going to spend a lot of money but the Clarke one does the job!!
i will second that i bought mine about 18months ago and use it for the same as you and its ideal :)
no point in spending loads of money on an expensive one when this one does all the jobs i need with ease

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Tuesday i went and had ago and talk with the guy at machine mart about the one in your first link. He reccomended i get the one on a cord for less.

Its cheaper and near twice as powerfull.

I love it already!

I have no need for an ipact wrench any where else then my drive so the corded is fine for me.

also the corderd comes with 4 impact sockets which is handy if you dont have any?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
We have a Sealey one, not sure on the model. But its been good. Brilliant when changing wheels after a track day when you just CBA.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the comments so far, only want it for changing wheels so may go for the cheap one to try it out, not like it will get heavy usage.

Tuesday i went and had ago and talk with the guy at machine mart about the one in your first link. He reccomended i get the one on a cord for less.

Its cheaper and near twice as powerfull.

I love it already!

I have no need for an ipact wrench any where else then my drive so the corded is fine for me.

also the corderd comes with 4 impact sockets which is handy if you dont have any?

If I wanted one for home i'd get one to run off the compressor but i want it for track days/using at other peoples houses so needs to be cordless.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheap ones can do the job just fine.

I bought mine on eBay 4 years ago for £55 delivered, came in a sturdy case with 2 batteries and is more than capable. I always start and finish by hand though.

I bought a cheap battery gun once. Wish I'd saved my money and just got a more expensive one to start with

Exactly. Get a stubborn wheel nut or a hub nut and your back to the breaker bar.

Nothing touches Snap-on, but theyre £400+.

Mac do a good one too, bit cheaper iirc. Not tried any others so cant comment.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
I got one from maplins for 60 its apparently just a rebranded Clarke one. It works well and good for.wheels and most diy jobs but what I did find is if the bolt your trying to get out has been rattled on with a air gun then it struggles. But its great on top nuts and those bolts Citroën love to use that have about 300 threads. It's also really handy for going other stuff like laying decking firearm screws in like no man's business. Seemed to do a better job than my dads drill, but I think its because they deliver the torque differently.

RSC 182 Cup
Thanks for all the comments so far, only want it for changing wheels so may go for the cheap one to try it out, not like it will get heavy usage.

If I wanted one for home i'd get one to run off the compressor but i want it for track days/using at other peoples houses so needs to be cordless.

What about a 12v one that plugs into the lighter socket or hooks directly to the car battery? Shentai (Chinese company) make one that's very powerful and cheap to buy. Heaps of people who own them rave about how good they are - do a bit of Googling.
12v%20impact-1.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/37455-shentai-12v-impact-wrench.html

172 cup

borrowed a mates one of these today, exact same as in link. Quite good actually

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
which one did you go for in the end mate?

and was it any good?
Still not got one, but really want one.

Might just get the machine mart one tomorrow. Should of got it when i had my vat free voucher but nevermind.

I dont even know exactly how to use them though lol, do i need to torque the bolts up still or not?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Bought a clarke one today, like in the OP.

Wont even remove a wheel bolt as it is now! Its rated at 200Nm and my bolts are torqued to about 100Nm so its s**te basically. Will be going back on Thursday.

Get what you pay for!

Lionel Richie
yup the cheap ones are crap, even some of the £200 ones don't last very well, i won't tell you how much the snap on ones are!

yup the cheap ones are crap, even some of the £200 ones don't last very well, i won't tell you how much the snap on ones are!

I will then, £400 - £600 ish...

Worth every penny if you make a living changing flat tyres at the side of the road!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Yep, well it was worth a try.

Surely it should be able to do what its rated to do though lol

I would love a decent snap on one, even a dewalt but for what I will use it for its really not worth it. £100 was my limit for this!

Edit: Lol at this on the machine mart site

Ultimately, if this cordless impact wrench fails to free something, it’s probably never going to move!

I had the chance to get a Repo'd one the other week for £250, it had hardly been used...Should've snapped it up.

Il stick to my powah bar!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One

Bought my dad one for christmas a couple of years back, uses it everyday and has had no problems at all. My mate whos a technician uses one at work everyday. With fast charge and spare battery its ace.

Bought a clarke one today, like in the OP.

Wont even remove a wheel bolt as it is now! Its rated at 200Nm and my bolts are torqued to about 100Nm so its s**te basically. Will be going back on Thursday.

Get what you pay for!

Is it fully charged?
Maybe its a faulty one? Cant see how Everyone i know who has one raves about it and yours wont und a nut that can be undone by hand?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Bought my dad one for christmas a couple of years back, uses it everyday and has had no problems at all. My mate whos a technician uses one at work everyday. With fast charge and spare battery its ace.

Is it fully charged?
Maybe its a faulty one? Cant see how Everyone i know who has one raves about it and yours wont und a nut that can be undone by hand?

Yep, fully charged and I just put it on the bolt, go full pelt and it just keeps on impacting the bolt but never removes it, just like it would if it was too tight for it.

I've seen one being used before and it is just as if this one cant undo a bolt that tight.

Fiesta ST3
Yep, fully charged and I just put it on the bolt, go full pelt and it just keeps on impacting the bolt but never removes it, just like it would if it was too tight for it.

I've seen one being used before and it is just as if this one cant undo a bolt that tight.

was the said nut tightened by a air gun at all?

ive read if they are, you need a high end cordless wrench to get these off