ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Correcting timing without touching aux belt

2002 Clio II Ph2 172
Hello.

Im correcting the timing on my 172, because one year ago i used weak non OEM timing tools. Disaster. Finished checking with OEM kit and yes, timing's off.
Recently bought a complete OEM genuine Renault tool kit and they are something else. Strong, heavy, and fit very precisely on the tdc pin and cam shaft locations. No more play. They're thicker than the non oem ones.

But when i was about to undo the cam pulleys cover i noticed that to get it off you have to remove a bolt that also holds the part that holds the top AUX tensioner bolt.

Am i missing something, or do i have to take the aux belt off again, just to get to the cam pulleys?
Can't i just get that cover off without messing with the aux belt? At the moment i dont have a decent jubilee clip with me.

Also, can i reuse the aux belt? Its only been one year/ around 5000 miles. The belt looks great. Gates kit.

Thank you very much
Vitor Alves