ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Correction Detail - Mitsubishi EvoX FQ360 in Black

Megane R26
First up, apologies for the quality of these pictures, my camera seems to struggle somewhat with taking pics indoors, which has really annoyed me for this detail, as the car looked stunning at the end (modest I know, lol!). If anyone could recommend a better camera for indoors, I'm all ears. I have a Panasonic TZ6 which is spot on in natural light/outdoors, but awful indoors...

Anyway, on to the detail....

I was contacted earlier this week with regards to restoring a bit of life back into the paint of this stunningly stealthy Evo X FQ360. Like most Jap cars, Evo's have notoriously soft paint, and often very, very thin, making them very challenging to detail as you often don't have a lot of clearcoat to play with. This particular example had been subject to repeated 'immigrant car washes' over its 3 year life, so I was expecting the paint to be pretty bad...

So anyway, I arrived to begin this car at 10am. Here are a few befores:

P1030815.jpg

P1030812.jpg

As ever, I started with the wheels, arches and tyres, using AS G101 and various brushes:

Rinsed off:

P1030821.jpg

G101 via foaming spray head applied liberally and worked:

P1030822.jpg

P1030824.jpg

Then rinsed off (blurry pic - grr!)

The car was then washed with Zaino Z7 Car Shampoo, using two bucket method and Dodo SN Sponge.

It had been de-tar'd and clayed for me last week, so this stage was skipped (I checked to see if it needed doing again), so the car was rinsed off and dried:

P1030826.jpg

Next up, I began to assess the paint. I expected the paint to be relatively thin, but...

P1030827.jpg

That was one of the higher reading on the bonnet and roof! The lowest ws 69.1!!!

The sides of the car had a bit more to play with:

P1030831.jpg

I really need to invest in a better PDG, allowing me to measure the different layers, as I was slightly apprehensive about polishing the roof and bonnet on this car. Gently does it...

The paint itself, as expected, was in a rather sorry state... (illuminated with a Brinkmann)

P1030833.jpg

P1030836.jpg

P1030838.jpg

Swirl city then!

After playing with a few combinations, I was getting very good results from Megs 205 via 3M Polishing Pad (Yellow) on my 3M Rotary with 3M backing plate.

This 50/50 shows the level of correction:

P1030840.jpg

As you can see, some deeper RDS remain, but I agreed with the owner that chasing down each and every scratch isn't the wisest move given how thin the paint is on this car.

Another 'after'

P1030842.jpg

Before:

P1030843.jpg

After:

P1030844.jpg

An after showing remaining RDS, which I didn't attempt to correct further:

P1030845.jpg

Bonnet before:

P1030851.jpg

Bonnet after:

P1030855.jpg

Lime Prime was used on the carbon fibre skirts and various parts around the car, via 3M 3" Polishing Pad (Yellow)

A random arty after:

P1030872.jpg

After the polishing stage was completed, I did a thorough IPA wipedown to remove any polishing oils, and followed up with one of my favourite sealants...

P1030881.jpg

Z2P was applied via MF pad with a spritz of Zaino Z6, then left to cure for 30 mins and removed via Poorboys Mega Deluxe MF and Z6 spritz.

I followed this up with a couple of layers of Z8, approx 30 mins apart, and a final Z6 wipedown.

Also:

- Glass with AS 50/50
- Wheels with Zaino Z2P
- Tyres with Pinnacle Black Onyx
- Plastics with 303
- Exhaust with Optimum Metal Polish

The afters...

P1030884.jpg

P1030885.jpg

P1030887.jpg

P1030892.jpg

P1030893.jpg

P1030896.jpg

P1030897.jpg

P1030899.jpg

P1030905.jpg

P1030910.jpg

P1030913.jpg

P1030914.jpg

P1030918.jpg

P1030920.jpg

P1030927.jpg

P1030928.jpg

P1030929.jpg

Total time - 8 hours!

I have an RB320 Impreza next weekend, and a Pearl White EvoX FQ300 the weekend after... I quite enjoy doing these 'rally saloons'. Luckily the next two are outdoors, so hopefully the pics will be a lot better!!

Thanks for reading

Russ.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Corr, what a beast! I love the little CF spoiler thing on the roof.

Nice work, too. I know how challenging these can be!

Look forward to the others..

Bumder With A Buffer
Corr, what a beast! I love the little CF spoiler thing on the roof.

Nice work, too. I know how challenging these can be!

Look forward to the others..

Vortex Generator ;)

Im hoping to upgrade my VIII to an X at somepoint...they look lush. Good skills Russ

Excellent as always sir. Brilliant looking toy.

Camera wise, are DSLRs out of the question?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Immense work on a big bus Russ!

Time spent? I hate doing anything bigger than 3 doors! ;) I have an M5 to do soon and I can feel my back aching already!

A camera is a good detailing tool imo but your TZ has lasted/worked so well, it's only indoors where it maybe isn't great, play with the settings? Find out what works indoors?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That looks great mate!

How do you find the zaino? I was gonna order some today

The way I try to explain the big Z is... For £16 what kind of wax can you buy that offers as much as z2 does.

So easy to use alongside it's partners, aio, Z6/8.

Although add in some Zaio and Z6/8 and you're into £50 but imo well worth it!