ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of HD-DVD questions...

The Bus and MRT
Does anyone have a list of which movies a completely HD.. i.e. were filmed using HD exquipment and will give the best quality?

Anyone know a cheap place to buy them online that currently has them instock? I'm looking at Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire and Batman Begins at the moment

Revels Mum & Sister
Correct me if I am wrong but for years and years and years.

The actual film they come from is far far higher than HD Res anyway? So it shouldnt really matter

One of the best Disks at the moment is Miami Vice. Real test of a screen as well as its a very dark film.

Cheapest place for QUICK delivery I found was Ebay actually. Lots of sellers doing new ones there for decent prices. Failing that Virgin and HMV sell them for £17.99-24.99 a pop

The Bus and MRT
Correct me if I am wrong but for years and years and years.

The actual film they come from is far far higher than HD Res anyway? So it shouldnt really matter

One of the best Disks at the moment is Miami Vice. Real test of a screen as well as its a very dark film.

Cheapest place for QUICK delivery I found was Ebay actually. Lots of sellers doing new ones there for decent prices. Failing that Virgin and HMV sell them for £17.99-24.99 a pop

Ok Cheers mate... Miami Vice has to be one of the worst films I've ever seen though so I'll give that one a miss :S

yes mr rasclart is right film is a higher resolution well it has no resolution thats down the the machine that scans the film

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Scan film at too high a resolution though and all you will see is the grain.

yes but there is more scope for detail in it than 1080p

might be better with digital cinema 4k tho (even then its still scanned from a film reel)

but it does depend on the original film stock 16mm film wont be as detailed as 35mm and 70mm

Last edited:
R

rich[182]

As far as I know the only mainstream movies filmed entirely digitally are Starwars Episodes 2 and 3

Sony and Panasonic joint developed the HD digital camera's during filming Episode 1

I think 20th C Fox at the moment are siding with Blu-Ray, I would imagine the picture quality of Episode 3 (the cameras were improved after Ep 2) from Blu-Ray on a 1080p LCD would be astounding since the entire production & process from filming to the Blu-Ray transfer is entirely digital from start to finish

The picture from Ep3 std DVD is very good anyway, I've seen it demo'd from a Dennon std DVD player upscaled to 1080p on a Sony Bravia 1080p and the picture quality was incredible

I saw Ep3 at a DLP cinema a couple of years ago and it made normal cinema look like VHS lol

Below was a post from 1999

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/bts/production/news19991115.html

dk

911 GTS Cab
AFAIK there are quite a few new films being filmed in HD these days but as was said above celluloid is a higher quality anyway so film reel is not dead, its not really about the actually product being put onto.

When digital camcorders came out people couldn't work out why they still used film. Then when dvd camcorders were out people thought they were better as they were digital but dvd has problems with panning, you still find it hard to beat a tape, its still recorded digitally onto it etc.

R

rich[182]

I think digital filming makes the post production work MUCH easier to carry out, I know what you mean re. celluloid, Some of the photography and colours on some of the John Wayne westerns of the 1950's (John Ford director ?) imo is far superior to anything nowadays, for a start everything is in focus 100% both foreground and background, nowadays some of the background focus is appauling imo, and thats even on cellulouid now ! is it the techniques or the film thats different ?

E91 M Sport
I've only watched a few HD-DVD's, but I found the following:

King Kong - amazing quality, clearly filmed with the latest equipment with HD in mind.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - as above, not quite as glossy, but still very impressive.
Serenity - not great, quite hard to tell the difference between it and a good SD DVD.
Full Metal Jacket - amazing for something filmed in the 80's - very natural looking, just shows how good film can look.