ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cracking from rear when clutch is depressed.

Mazda RX8 & Clio 197
I have had this issue since day one of having my 197, it doesnt happen all the time but is more prominent changing gears from 1st to 2nd, its basically a crack/slap noise that sounds quite metalic but it happens when the clutch is depressed and I think it attributes to when the car rocks slightly as you put the clutch down.

I have had the car into Renault and another garage now to check over the car but they are at a loss as to what it may be so I was wondering if any of you may have an idea.

Things done so far by Renault:

All engine mounts checked for play and dogbone mount replaced
Steerring Rack bolts tightened
Subframe Bolts tightened
Suspension inspected

Just to point out I have only just noticed the noise seems to be coming from the rear of the car so havent been able to inspect any parts.

I am at a complete loss now, its not affecting the driving of the car in any way but the noise is incredibly annoying. It is also very hard to replicate as it doesnt make this noise all the time but it does seem more prominent when the car is cold.

Any ideas?

Mazda RX8 & Clio 197
Ok its entirely possible I have just stumbled across the problem whilst looking for something else, basically dont trust the stealer!

I have just grabed the top engine mount on the offside and shaken it and there is a silly amount of play in the mount. B@stards!

Mazda RX8 & Clio 197
Thanks for the reply, I may have been a little rash with my second comment because actually there isnt an awful lot of movement in the mount, have a feeling it may have been my phone in my pocket that knocked against the car :eek:.

Would you still think this is mount related though?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for the reply, I may have been a little rash with my second comment because actually there isnt an awful lot of movement in the mount, have a feeling it may have been my phone in my pocket that knocked against the car :eek:.

Would you still think this is mount related though?

Yes I would if its happening at the back of the car when you engage and disengage the clutch.

Its got to be either play in front suspension or play in the mounts really, and if you are sure its coming from the back, then that points to the mounts.

Try getting someone to hold the car on the handbrake and then go to engage the clutch as if doing a hillstart and see how much it moves (dont get run over doing it though!)

Mazda RX8 & Clio 197
I am getting a little rumbling coming from what I think is the topmount on the nearside but hadnt linked the two together.

The only reason I say it is coming from the rear is becuse I had a passenger in the rear of the car at the weekend who said it sounded like the noise was coming from behind her, its very difficult to locate it as with the window open whilst driving it sounds like it is coming from the centre of the car but definitely not the front.

Thank you for you replies and help I really appreciate it.