ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed on the a54 :/

ZED TEA
Just on the way home from Ashbourne on the a54 doing about 40mph and the back end flew out, wheel straight up the curb drifting, poped the tyre then spun right round and ended up in a hedge and ditch :// Broke the Front light, front bumper and the rear tyre. unsure if it was the road conditions or my tyres that cause it, just suddenly went.

Not to bad considering the road and the crash, could haved been so much worse :/, anyway tempery bodge tomorrow with zip ties and a plaster sticker :D,, ooo and Fitting this aswell :)

Very Good Condition, just needs blacking :)..

Dave.

Be prepared for this to get ripped to shreds...

Is that back tyre as baldy as it looks in that pic?

ZED TEA
Very Small bend! hardly turning!!, inspected the road after and it was extremly slippy, no oil on it though :/, lady came out of her house and said it happens very often and has seen them on the roof. while i was there repairing my car a audi a6 came around and his back end nearly went!! thought i was going to have to dive!.

Fiesta ST-3
Im also curious to know how it just stepped out? On a straight?

You have now answered my question.

Last edited:
  Clio
this happend to me a few years back tight bend slipy surface mrs going on in my ear and the back just WENT i stayed calm and tured out of it.

lucky for me i escaped no harms to the car or us . I did go out the next day and had 4 brand new tyers fitted and tracked thou just to make sure

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If that's the case, I think you need to notify the council tbh.

And sue them?? If its as common as you say, the road isn't maintained properly and is a danger to other road users.

ZED TEA
I only picked up the wheels last week and seemed pretty good to me, plenty of Tread

Dont look bad to me, going to report it to the council....

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Unless full on slicks, it's really hard to tell from pics how much tread is on a tyre (esp the ones you've posted). They have legal limits for a reason. Upto that point you should be fine. Okay, they may not clear standing water as well as full tyres, but still do the job, & do the job well enough to go round a corner at 40mph anyway.

I personally think the reason for this is your inexperience. The tyres look aggresivley cut, what tyre are they? Perhaps you're not used to them? I know I put some Yoko A520's on my Williams many years ago and they're an aggresive tyre, not quite a semi slick but getting there. First corner in the wet, not going quick, I just understeered, nearly into a kerb. So I can sympathise.

ZED TEA
Unless full on slicks, it's really hard to tell from pics how much tread is on a tyre (esp the ones you've posted). They have legal limits for a reason. Upto that point you should be fine. Okay, they may not clear standing water as well as full tyres, but still do the job, & do the job well enough to go round a corner at 40mph anyway.

I personally think the reason for this is your inexperience. The tyres look aggresivley cut, what tyre are they? Perhaps you're not used to them? I know I put some Yoko A520's on my Williams many years ago and they're an aggresive tyre, not quite a semi slick but getting there. First corner in the wet, not going quick, I just understeered, nearly into a kerb. So I can sympathise.

Ive got used to them now, driven them in diffrent conditions ect, i just think it was an excessivly slippy road and a bit of bad luck tbh

the tyres are symetrical, can see the right hand side and left hand side are different.

Was it a right hand bend?

nope, it was a left hand bend :/

A54?

A52 goes through Ashbourne...?

Deffently the a54....

260% JCW
Ive done something like this before, no damage though. Going a tad to fast for the conditions, tight corner, lift'd off and hey presto cheeko time. My own fault.

260% JCW
Also is that front left tyre on the right way? From this view and the tread pattern on the other tyres it looks lke it?

ZED TEA
Also is that front left tyre on the right way? From this view and the tread pattern on the other tyres it looks lke it?

nope the front tyres has lots of tread on it, also fairly decent Continental Sport Contact 2's, i guess its just one of them things....
good excuse for a front sport bumper and wings though....

Low!
This happened to me. Going round a large roundabout, was wet but not raining and all of a sudden the back end went. No idea what happened just eneded up doing a few 360's! Luckily I was the only one on the road at the time.

Oil Burner
Spend less money on bumpers and more money on tyres. I agree with Kevster, it does look like the tread is designed to clear in the opposite direction to how the tyre is fitted, might be wrong - but worth checking.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Lift-off - at 40? Doubtfull.

It'll be tightly packed and shiny tarmac, loss of rear traction and i'll guess the tyre once garnished a front axle - now not 100% flat on the rear - spinny spin spin!

PMSL at "40mph" being thrown around like sweets. Can't spin out at 40. I was only doing 40. Tyres don't let go at 40. I was doing 40 and the back FLEW out. No way would that happen at 40. At 40? Must be tyres for that to happen at 40. 40? Must be the road.

Just f**king L.O.L. Define what's too fast for any given corner FFS. I took a corner at 80mph the other day. On the M1. I don't know the road where this happened so I'm not judging. The speed means nothing without knowing the road. What I do know is that not all roads have the same grip all the time. It only takes a combination of water, adverse camber, and a bit of bad luck, and it's game over. Happens all the time. That's why we have to pass a test. Experience counts for a lot. You crashed. Glad you're ok though and the damage is light.

Roffle at someone doing a few 360s on a rounder about. Just f**king LOL!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I only picked up the wheels last week and seemed pretty good to me, plenty of Tread

Dont look bad to me, going to report it to the council....

One wheel on your wagon, not surprised the handling was suspect. I've only ever run four-may have to try this.

Glad you're still alive :)

Sorry to hear about the bump, but your tyres are fooked. If you picked them up last week, let this be a lesson; buy decent tyres, not second hand knackered ones. Remember, they stick you to the road... or not, in this case.

1.2 Dynamique 16v
The main thing is that there is no serious damage to you or your car.

Just take it easy/easier in the wet bud!

Renault 5 GT Turbo & 172
Mate, Main thing is your OK and i'm guessing your going to learn from this experience. Looks like the damage is minimal and can be fixed by yourself.

Just to clarify for the kickers, Drobbly bought the wheels and tyres from me last weekend, they were on my 172 when I bought it, 2 budget tyres and 2 continental sport tyres, i ran on them for 3 weeks, and while they are all past their best, they are all still legal. They are certainly not bald, but i would say they only have a few thousand miles left in them at best.

I only have one question. Do you know what an Asymmetric tyre is? If not don't worry, I'm sure a few people on here don't and are reading this going "i didn't know that". It's a tyre which is put on to suit the direction of travel, i.e. you buy a set of 4 and 2 are put on the NS and 2 are put on the OS. The tyre is designed to work in a certain direction, it really wont work very well in the opposite direction, plus add rain to the mix and well..............you get the message. If you have put them on wrong (unknowingly to you) this would definitely explain your situation. I'm sure you'd rather admit to this than have everyone dig at you about your speed, tyres, driving skill etc. If the one in the boot is the NS rear it looks right, but are the others?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've lost the back end at 40!

But it was a corner covered in mud and I was going to fast.

Seriously though give him a break! Even if he's talking s**t to us (which you don't know) He knows the truth in his own head, and hopefully, if he was going too quick, he's scared himself enough to never do it again.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Let me put it this way, you have two Continentals up front and two, what appear to be Federals on the rear. Poor budget tyres give probably half the traction as a decent premium tyre.....fact.
Combined with the fact that it was wet/greasy/muddy/whatever means that you were on course for a hiding.
Surely anyone with half an interest in their cars handling would realise that s**t tyres equals a s**t time in the wet and addressed the situation accordingly? Even if you can't afford two new decent tyres of the same brand as the other two, at least put the DitchFinder tyres on the FRONT!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear.

Up side is you didn't blame oil, black ice or the frost of hell for the accident but seriously 40mph?

I love silvervisions/cup spoiler/carbon splitters over the only thing that keeps the car in contact with the road surface, priceless.

White clique
the only time i had a wobble was when i had a slow puncture on my 182 at the back and i didnt notice at all as the tyre walls are stiff so I could barely see any difference, i went around the corner at about 40 and it scared the crap out of me.

That does seem a violent reaction at 40 - oil spill?