ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed :(

Clio 200
Hey, much as the question on reflection is a bit of a 'mistake', I understand the panic which ensues following an incident and we all learn by our mistakes, don't we?
Also, you know what dads can be like!!:eek:
Hope you get everything sorted (including new plates).

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If the plate looks standard font, spacing, etc then nothing to worry about. If it has a stupid font and ghosting, etc then you might have a problem with someone who is anal about it. I would be 95/5 split towards you being perfectly fine. :)

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Insurance don't give a f**k about plates. What possible difference would a number plate make to the fact she ran into the back of you?

Renault Clio
How is it a stupid question? Please enlighten me. I was told on here by numerous people that they were ILLEGAL, so why wouldn't I be worried that having something illegal on my car could void the insurance? Do I work for an insurance company? Do I know the ins and outs of their policies? Sorry for being cautious and seeking advice, how idiotic of me.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
How is it a stupid question? Please enlighten me. I was told on here by numerous people that they were ILLEGAL, so why wouldn't I be worried that having something illegal on my car could void the insurance? Do I work for an insurance company? Do I know the ins and outs of their policies? Sorry for being cautious and seeking advice, how idiotic of me.

Even if your insurance was made void because of the plates (it won't) you won't be claiming on your insurance, it's the person who hit you's car insurance that will be paying up. Even if your car wasn't insured full stop, the 3rd party insurance company would have to pay up.

Renault Clio
Even if your insurance was made void because of the plates (it won't) you won't be claiming on your insurance, it's the person who hit you's car insurance that will be paying up. Even if your car wasn't insured full stop, the 3rd party insurance company would have to pay up.

He isn't admitting fault though.

Renault Clio
He doesn't have to. If he hit you from behind he's at fault, simple as that. Unless there are other facts you haven't given?

I pulled out of a junction onto the main road because he was so far away it was perfectly safe to do so, well, it would have been if he wasn't doing 50mph. I was clearly established on the main road and he still couldn't stop because of his speed. So he is trying to say that it's my fault for pulling out, and it's my word against his. I have pictures that show how far away from the junction we were, to me the junction is just irrelevant, it's like he wasn't even looking. My insurance company said that at the moment (before they've seen the pictures and spoken to the police) I'm the one that's at a disadvantage because he was already established on the main road. It's a joke. They also said that even if he was speeding, it's my error of judgment. How the hell am I meant to know that he is speeding when he is so far away?

I pulled out of a junction onto the main road because he was so far away it was perfectly safe to do so, well, it would have been if he wasn't doing 50mph. I was clearly established on the main road and he still couldn't stop because of his speed. So he is trying to say that it's my fault for pulling out, and it's my word against his. I have pictures that show how far away from the junction we were, to me the junction is just irrelevant, it's like he wasn't even looking. My insurance company said that at the moment (before they've seen the pictures and spoken to the police) I'm the one that's at a disadvantage because he was already established on the main road. It's a joke. They also said that even if he was speeding, it's my error of judgment. How the hell am I meant to know that he is speeding when he is so far away?

So he was speeding and couldn't stop in time due to speeding, sounds like 100% his fault imo, if he was doing 30 then I presume you'd have had plenty of time to pull out and everything would be ok?

Seems like a ballshit case (for how your insurers are dealing with it) that'll go 50/50 due to insurers being tossers from what you've put above :(

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Hmm sounds like a tough one. Does sound a little like you pulled out on the guy, but at the same time he really should have been able to stop. Proving he was speeding will be very difficult, but your distance fromt he junction should help with that.

Ideally you need witnesses, do you have any?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It'll be your fault, you won't be able to prove that he was speeding at all. He will say you pulled out on him and he couldn't stop in time. If you had looked twice you'd have noticed his speed.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Unless he has video proof of you pulling out on him in a stupid manner i.e no time to avoid you then you have nothing to worry about imo.

172 Cup
Sounds entirely like your fault actually.
If you ever cross a line on the road you have to yield to traffic on the other side of that line regardless of the speed it is doing. If you can't judge speeds properly that is your fault. As you were unable to calculate how quickly he was closing I would wager you have also given an inaccurate estimation of his actual speed.

Renault Clio
It'll be your fault, you won't be able to prove that he was speeding at all. He will say you pulled out on him and he couldn't stop in time. If you had looked twice you'd have noticed his speed.

Well actually there's a pub right by where the accident happened and the landlord has already said he is willing to send the cctv to the insurance company which will hopefully prove how fast the maniac was going :)

172 Cup
Well actually there's a pub right by where the accident happened and the landlord has already said he is willing to send the cctv to the insurance company which will hopefully prove how fast the maniac was going :)
Ah good, should help mitigate things at least. Still it is morally partially your fault, 50mph is hardly so crazy fast. If you saw he was coming you should have waited until you could judge his speed and only pulled out if you could do so without him having to slow down, regardless of if he was speeding. Sorry.

Renault Clio
Ah good, should help mitigate things at least. Still it is morally partially your fault, 50mph is hardly so crazy fast. If you saw he was coming you should have waited until you could judge his speed and only pulled out if you could do so without him having to slow down, regardless of if he was speeding. Sorry.

No but you don't understand how far away he was when I made the decision to go, I pulled out, travelled quite a distance up the road and then bang! He's a 17 year old boy racer and his reckless driving caused the accident, not mine.

172 Cup
No but you don't understand how far away he was when I made the decision to go, I pulled out, travelled quite a distance up the road and then bang! He's a 17 year old boy racer and his reckless driving caused the accident, not mine.
well if that's the case the distance you are from the road you left should surely be all the proof you need?

Renault Clio
well if that's the case the distance you are from the road you left should surely be all the proof you need?

Hopefully mate, I haven't spoke to either insurance company since I sent them the evidence, and they haven't spoken to the police yet who will hopefully make them aware of how far away from the junction I actually was.

172 Cup
send them the google maps ;)
post pics here? is that allowed? it's not like it's a criminal investigation.. is it?

Renault Clio
You can see the junction on the pic, but bear in mind my car is at least 3 or 4 cars in front of him ( and he reversed into that position after hitting my car, but even so, look how far away from the junction he is ). A riot van parked inbetween us and asked me to reverse because of how far forward I was! You can also see a car pulling out of the junction on the pic and by the time that car reaches the point of the collision you can see for yourself that he would be well established on the main road like I was.

He managed to swerve and only hit the left end of my car with the front right end of his car, which is while the whole of the rear isnt smashed on my car.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
tbh those pics make it look like you pulled out in front of him. If you were established on the road, the impact would have been rear centre. As it is, the damage is his front right and your rear left, which means you were still in the process of pulling out of the junction when he hit you (from a junction in the right). If I was the insurance company, I would put that down as your fault for not judging his speed correctly and pulling out in front of him. p.s. your number plates will not affect you claim. On the bright side, your damage looks purely cosmetic.

Renault Clio
tbh those pics make it look like you pulled out in front of him. If you were established on the road, the impact would have been rear centre. As it is, the damage is his front right and your rear left, which means you were still in the process of pulling out of the junction when he hit you (from a junction in the right). If I was the insurance company, I would put that down as your fault for not judging his speed correctly and pulling out in front of him. p.s. your number plates will not affect you claim. On the bright side, your damage looks purely cosmetic.

the only reason he didnt damage the whole of the rear was because like anyone heading straight for another vehicle, he swerved onto the pavement and caught my left side with his front right side!

how could i have possibly been at an angle when we are so far away from the junction? The whole things a joke! I was completely vertical and so far passed the junction its unreal.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
the only reason he didnt damage the whole of the rear was because like anyone heading straight for another vehicle, he swerved onto the pavement and caught my left side with his front right side!

how could i have possibly been at an angle when we are so far away from the junction? The whole things a joke! I was completely vertical and so far passed the junction its unreal.

Im not saying that's how it actually happened, I was just saying what it looked like from the pictures as the debris appear to start further back. Your car would have been shunted a bit and I imagine a car length would have elapsed in the duration of the crash. As there's no pictures of where the cars were at the point of impact, its had to say for sure how far along it was (from the pictures).

Ph2 Flamer
Its the astra drivers fault, just look at the f**king monkey gurning out the back of the car in the top picture.