ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Critics Needed!

Something Not French
I'm getting married next year and thinking of booking this photographer. Hes been recommended (friend of a friend job) and has already done a wedding at the venue we've booked.

I need a photographers eye to critque these images as they all look pretty good to me.

Any help / comments would be great.

Bare in mind that he posts ALL of his photos taken on the day and doesn't filter out lesser pictures.

http://mywedding.ezekieltaylor.co.uk/rebeccaandchris/

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'd have to agree with Revels here.

I'm in the same position trying to book one for next year. We have got our shortlist down to 4 people now and are waiting to hear back from them to see if they are available for that date.

We have a meeting with one on Thursday night and hopefully a few more meetings with the others.

It is probably the hardest choice that we have to make as we are both in to our photography and we want to make sure that they are able to offer what we want.

Don't rush in to it IMO, have a look round and pay that bit extra for someone decent. See if you can look through all their pictures, not just what they put online. Also ask what rights they have over your pictures. Do you get to keep every image that they take or will they just give you the edited ones? I know the one we are meeting said he will give me every RAW file to do what I want with them.

Good luck with everything.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I think I could do a better job than those guys! Then again, I did take that "So you want to be a wedding photographer' 5 minute course posted on here a while back :p lol

Seriously thought, they dont look the best guys to go with imo.

Something Not French
In fairness, we do want informal style shots.

I take it then that his technique / skill / whatever is generally poor.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Bare in mind that he posts ALL of his photos taken on the day and doesn't filter out lesser pictures.

I think his error starts there. Crap photos should be binned, especially if you are selling photos for a career which is based on reputation and quality of work.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Have you even looked at any other people in your area? It doesn't really matter if he has shot at the venue before, I assume many others will have and either way, a good photographer should be able to go to any location and take some good shots.

And you say you want informal type shots, well you should be able to sit down and have a chat about how you want your pictures doing.

My brother got a cheap photographer for his wedding and he hates every picture. He was the cheapest and a friend of a friend apparently. He was awful.

Remember, you will only (hopefully) get to do this once, just make sure you pick someone that you are going to be happy with.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yeah, if you want informal shots, give a passaround camera to the guests to take these shots. The wedding photographer should be delivering quality shots only.

In fairness, we do want informal style shots.

Then you need someone with talent.

Lining up all your Aunties and shouting something funny to make everyone smile doesn't need that talent.

yeah, if you want informal shots, give a passaround camera to the guests to take these shots.

Do that if you want but you'll end up with awful pictures from people who have no idea what they're doing.

Informal shots are a lot harder to get right than the 'standard' ones.

Something Not French
Ok, so he's toast then.

Anyone know a photographer in the East Midlands (Derby) area?

I've googled a thousand, but websites don't tell much at all.

Something Not French
  Cayman S Edition 1
Pay a group of photographers from the forum. Theyn you'll get a nice mixture of shots;)

2.2 bar shed.
If you want a decent tog then you need to know one, or expect to pay £1000+. It's 10 hours contact time, with another 20 in post production. Doesn't sound unreasonable at all to me?