ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup 172 or not?

clio sport 172
hi guys sounds abit of a stupid question but im not sure if my 172 is the cup model or not?how would i know? my hpi check says not a cup and the insurance company says its a cup?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Post some pictures and then someone can actually help.

It should have cloth interior (unless replaced) no climate or aircon (aircon was an option on a few), mondial blue or iceberg silver,
Must be ph2 obviously. No ABS, no engine cover as standard, cup badges on the doors, standard with 16" silver turini's.

Few other bits too like bolt spacing on the hubs for the suspension.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
172Cups came in 2 colours...Mondiale Blue and Iceburg Silver. Came with cloth interior and had 172Cup on the doors (although they would probably be off by now!)

The lights will not be Xenons, no side airbags in seats, only 4 seats (no middle seatbelt is main visual thing and no split fold rear seat)

Picture of your car would help.... ;)

clio sport 172
car was silver but it had full respray in frozen white.its got half leather interior, hasnt got engine cover on but the engine has been replaced at some time so maybe they just left the cover off.

clio sport 172
just checked it also got the middle seat belt attached to the roof in the rear aswell, why is my insurance company saying its a cup then any ideas?only reason i need to know is to buy the correct parts.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
just checked it also got the middle seat belt attached to the roof in the rear aswell, why is my insurance company saying its a cup then any ideas?only reason i need to know is to buy the correct parts.

Doesn't sound like a Cup. Lots of insurance companies get them mixed up.

What parts are you after? Almost all parts except what's already been mentioned above are identical for both models.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

A cup is more expensive to insure so you'd best check if it is or isn't.

We need pictures or a reg plate as it may have spent time on here.

clio sport 172
need wheel bearing as the front drivers side is really whirling bad if im doin 70mph and the faster i go the louder it gets.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Post up the reg and someone will check (or PM me if you like and I can check for you)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If it's 51-plate it's almost guaranteed to not be a Cup...I don't think they started being registered until 03 (although there may be the odd 52-plate Cup out there).

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
PM received, still no wiser though. MyCarCheck app holds virtually no data on it (just says it's a Renault Clio 2ltr) but the Motor Insurance Database shows it as a Cup.

What does the V5 say?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Given that its had a respray and clearly lots of other stuff done to it, there is nothing that can guarentee one way or the other really other than ask renault based on the chassis number.

Everything different is pretty easily swapped between the two, non abs is probably the biggest clue though.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Given that its had a respray and clearly lots of other stuff done to it, there is nothing that can guarentee one way or the other really other than ask renault based on the chassis number.

Everything different is pretty easily swapped between the two, non abs is probably the biggest clue though.

Would have thought they'd have been unlikely to do the hubs so perhaps that's his best bet to check? They're different on the 172 cup aren't they?

That said just to clear things up. Does this car have a sunroof?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would have thought they'd have been unlikely to do the hubs so perhaps that's his best bet to check? They're different on the 172 cup aren't they?

That said just to clear things up. Does this car have a sunroof?

Hubs are the same on cup and non cup, its the wishbones that are different, but my non cup one has cup wishbones for example.

None of them have a sunroof, so I assume you mean to prove its not a white base model shell used to rebuild one?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
No 1*2's had Sunroofs Rhys.

I know dickhead :p

I'm guessing it's a rep with the conversion if it's had an engine put in and a respray. The white ones on here were both non sports iirc.

Would also explain the confusion between V5 and the insurance etc and HPI checks if it's one that's been done and then registered.

clio sport 172
no sunroof on mine guys either.iv got to sort which model i got so i can buy the parts i need wishone being 1 of them,mine was definatly a clio sport from factory its not been changed.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
no sunroof on mine guys either.iv got to sort which model i got so i can buy the parts i need wishone being 1 of them,mine was definatly a clio sport from factory its not been changed.

Whichever yours was, buy cup wishbones, why would you want the awful standard ones instead?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
?
thought the cup and non cup wishbones are different fitting mate?

The only difference between the 172 and 172 cup wishbones is that the cup ones sit the bottom balljoint slightly further forward which gives you slightly more caster and improves the handling.
No enthusiastic driver has any reason to ever have the non cup ones IMHO

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes they will fit, but you MUST get the same for both sides, ie both cup or both non cup, and the cup ones are better for handling.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Dvla dont necessarily get the car right. My old 306 was a 1.6...imported from Germany (but purchased there as a UK spec car by member of forces based over there). Dvla had it down as 1.4 but to make sure I was covered, I registered it with DVLA as 1.6 (meant more in tax, but didnt want write off and inaurance not being valid!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
172 and 172 cup yes the hubs and bearings are the same

Only one different for hubs and bearings is the 182 cup (and hence the trophy based on it too)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dvla dont necessarily get the car right. My old 306 was a 1.6...imported from Germany (but purchased there as a UK spec car by member of forces based over there). Dvla had it down as 1.4 but to make sure I was covered, I registered it with DVLA as 1.6 (meant more in tax, but didnt want write off and inaurance not being valid!)

Guy I used to work with bought a brand new Alfa, the logbook turned up saying BMW, lol

S3, Polo
I bought a pair of Cup wishbones from a breaker on eBay for £35 delivered. Bushes seem good and after giving them a going over with a wire brush, and a spatter of Hammerite smooth they look like new! Get some bought!

I used to have a Cup but now have a boggo 172 and I prefer the lardy car (with Cup tweaks!), TBH.

ABS & A/C FTW.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Check they actually are cup ones, lots of breakers seem to not know the difference.

We've got what I think is the perfect fastroad daily and occasional trackday car blend:

Lardy non cup with leather/aircon/abs/xenons
Trophy front seats
Cup dampers and wishbones
Cup turinis
Lightly modded engine (ARPs, supertechs, 197 cams etc)
Standard ECU running an RS2 inlet.

Sure its a little slower than it would be minus the leather and aircon etc, but its so much nicer as a daily with them.

Its cool the way you can mix and match the parts so easily :)