ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup or Non-Cup 172???

Clio 172
Hi,

Im extending my search for a 172 and was just wondering which is best, the 172 or 172 Cup?

Cheers in advance.

WRX
Just road use : normal 172
Road and a bit of track : either, with perhaps a slight lean towards Cup. Depends how many track days really.
Track only : Cup
But in reality, either are fine for both road and track use. My normal 172's done loads of track days and will be raced properly next year.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
In reality the only difference is weight and maybe 2 or 3 extra bhp due to no aircon,
plus a good non cup will perform better than a crap cup.

It's all down to what kind of life it's had.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
As above, if its for road use then a non cup would be the better choice as it has the toys.

If its track then a cup would be my first choice but ive got a non cup which ive used for trackdays.

In reality, theres naff all difference between the range of 172/182s.

Clio 172
Ive found a 2003 non-cup, dark blue, 101k and had the belts done at 70k, has had new rear shocks, just had the brakes done front and rear, new backbox, owned by an enthusiast bt has a new car and needs to sell this. It has full service history too. We have agreed on £800!!!!

But I love the electric blue Cups lol.

What do you think???

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
If it's got documented service history with proof of belts at 70k,
then £800 is a good price, as long as there isn't a load of hidden problems he isn't telling you.

I paid a hell of a lot more than that for my cup and although I fooking love it I wish I had waited a while longer and for a non cup for a lot less money.

Saying that I love my cup and have made it my own now so all is well lol.

Ive found a 2003 non-cup, dark blue, 101k and had the belts done at 70k, has had new rear shocks, just had the brakes done front and rear, new backbox, owned by an enthusiast bt has a new car and needs to sell this. It has full service history too. We have agreed on £800!!!!

But I love the electric blue Cups lol.

What do you think???
That price is mega cheap imo, hope all is OK with it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Proper spec one if its for anything other than building a race car, in which case go for the Tesco value 172 cup.

PB Clio 172
don't go for a cup, you will miss the things its missing and a car with no ABS in this day and age is plain stupid IMO

182 FF
Seats are better in 172 vs cup imo, they are shite on track you just fall out but the standard172/182 leather ones are a loads better

Countryman JCW
Seats are better in 172 vs cup imo, they are s**te on track you just fall out but the standard172/182 leather ones are a loads better

I disagree with that. My cup seats are far better than the seats i had in my Ph1 172 and 182. Only downside to the cup seats are they look crap, and have no lumbar support

+1 to everything said above. If its a track car then go for a cup, for everything else get a 172. As ive said before the difference in performance is negligible, especially out on the roads. If its looks your bothered about get a cup spoiler and some turini's.

RB 182 195bhp
don't go for a cup, you will miss the things its missing and a car with no ABS in this day and age is plain stupid IMO

Why is no abs stupid? It's only a Clio, not a Ferrari, just don't drive like a tool. Tvr's don't come with abs, they cope and have more than double the bhp. I agree air con is nice, as is leather but it's really not essential.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
As someone who has recently sold their cup;

No discernable advantage day to day. Yeah you save some weight but if youre a porker like me - makes no odds. Save some money and buy the better specc'd cheaper 172. £120 on a cup spoiler and you wont be able to tell the difference.

Lack of ABS can sometimes be erm..... sticky.

clio 172cup
Depends what your after really ? I'd never had air con so I wernt going to miss that .

I mostly went for the cup because of looks. I wanted a car I was happy with looks wise standard and didn't want to start buying spoilers and alloys etc , been there done that .

Yes it lacks certain things but I don't miss them and I've got a standard car that I love the look of.

Plus the cup blue is stunning :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As someone who has recently sold their cup;

No discernable advantage day to day. Yeah you save some weight but if youre a porker like me - makes no odds. Save some money and buy the better specc'd cheaper 172. £120 on a cup spoiler and you wont be able to tell the difference.

Lack of ABS can sometimes be erm..... sticky.

Its weird that the budget version of the car new (cups were a few K cheaper) are now often fetching more than the more expensive full fat variants are!

For me it came down to air con. Cup just wouldn't cut it on a long drive in hot weather for me. If it was a weekend toy when it wouldn't matter but if its a daily I'd try find a non cup. Only down side to non cup 172's and both 182's are the wheels IMO.

Considered a ph1? More I see them, the more I wish I had one.

PB Clio 172
Why is no abs stupid? It's only a Clio, not a Ferrari, just don't drive like a tool. Tvr's don't come with abs, they cope and have more than double the bhp. I agree air con is nice, as is leather but it's really not essential.

its a powerful car which needs abs, try driving a 5 turbo! that was the last time I will be driving a car with no ABS

what was the advantage of taking away ABS? naff all it was a stupid thing to do, ABS has nothing to do with someone so called driving like a tool its got nothing to do with that!

RB 182 195bhp
its a powerful car which needs abs, try driving a 5 turbo! that was the last time I will be driving a car with no ABS

what was the advantage of taking away ABS? naff all it was a stupid thing to do, ABS has nothing to do with someone so called driving like a tool its got nothing to do with that!

It's not a powerful car really though is it. 170 bhp isn't mega power, people coped before abs was invented and had more power than that, people should cope now.
I have had my cup a year and a half, lack of abs has only effected me twice, both times was when the weight came off one front wheel and just that wheel locked up. It's not a big deal though is it?
I do agree there is no real advantage of taking away the abs, and it was a silly decision, but it's not the end of the world, and wouldn't put me off a car i was viewing at all.
Tbh the advise I'd give op is just to find the best example you can, cup or non cup, you'll still enjoy it :)

PB Clio 172
It's not a powerful car really though is it. 170 bhp isn't mega power, people coped before abs was invented and had more power than that, people should cope now.
I have had my cup a year and a half, lack of abs has only effected me twice, both times was when the weight came off one front wheel and just that wheel locked up. It's not a big deal though is it?
I do agree there is no real advantage of taking away the abs, and it was a silly decision, but it's not the end of the world, and wouldn't put me off a car i was viewing at all.
Tbh the advise I'd give op is just to find the best example you can, cup or non cup, you'll still enjoy it :)

yes its a powerful car yes, but as said before power has nothing to do with ABS, if you think that why would you fit ABS to a smart car for example.

times change, cars get safer etc.

there you go then, I have had zero scary moments in my 172 under braking, oh wait I have ABS !

piece of mind I wouldn't buy another car without ABS

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I prefer a car with no ABS than with, ABS is just for drivers who don't know what they're doing tbh, more of a safety precaution

RB 182 195bhp
yes its a powerful car yes, but as said before power has nothing to do with ABS, if you think that why would you fit ABS to a smart car for example.

times change, cars get safer etc.

there you go then, I have had zero scary moments in my 172 under braking, oh wait I have ABS !

piece of mind I wouldn't buy another car without ABS

Seriously, it's not a powerful car. It's a hot hatch, think you need to get back down to earth.
Times do change, you say cars get safer, I say they get heavier, more numb and more boring.
Abs is not crucial in daily driving, just don't freeze on the pedals and you'll be fine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I prefer a car with no ABS than with, ABS is just for drivers who don't know what they're doing tbh, more of a safety precaution

I also prefer the feel of non ABS, but the what you have said is just not true at all TBH, a good ABS system (which admittedly the clio one isnt amazing) can outperform ANY F1 racing driver let alone the rest of us.
Hence ABS was developed in F1 to allow cars to perform better than a driver with one pedal can ever hope to achieve (as he cant control the 4 brakes separately like ABS can!)

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
For those times in stupid traffic where people go 80 then nothing and everyone slams in there brakes( which happens)! No abs would scare me