ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Race Car Going

Well, it looks like the Cup Car will be gone in the not too distant future...:( and that means a road/track car is on the horizon. I'm not interested in engine mods as the money/bhp ratio is out the window, (hence why I purchased the Cup Car in the first place), so I suppose that just leaves suspension and brakes.
What amazed me most about the cup car apart from it's gearbox, (best performance upgrade available), was how it went around corners, this is the bit that gets me going, so, what I want I suppose is some suspension that is compliant on the road and as good as the race car's on track...no mean feat. After speaking to friends about suspension I've found out I know and understand very little...I really must make an effort here. Brakes I think are straight forward, there's been a great deal of debate here before and all I know is the Cup car's standard set up is fantastic.
So I'll soon be on the lookout for a suitable candidate, have never tried a ph1 road car but can only imagine the real difference to a ph2 172/182 being the so called "instant" throttle response, there's also the different suspension set up's between the 172/182 ranges that this may also be worth looking into.
If anyone has any bright ideas they'd like to share, then feel free......I'm not looking to beat anyone in a straight line at the next track day we all attend....but make sure your looking in your mirrors coming up to the corners....(wishful thinking)!

Megane Trophy, Golf
Dude I dont know if your selling a Cup or a Cup racing car or if your looking to buy mods for your existing car lol

Im confuddled :)

Dude I dont know if your selling a Cup or a Cup racing car or if your looking to buy mods for your existing car lol

Im confuddled :)

As per title "cup race car going" should tell you that a cup race car is, well, going, ie being sold and therfor I'm on the lookout for a 172 to modify is the gist of it....is my English really that bad?

Have you driven a road going 1*2?

Yeah, it all started a few years ago when I purchased a 182 cup, it ended up with H&R's, 2118's with Paradas and Brembo HC's with DS2500 pads, did lot's of track days with it as well as 30k or so so road miles, was so impressed with it that the race car followed but now I need to put the money elsewhere but do miss a nice road car.

Sorry to hear your parting ways with the cup racer. Epic motor.

For the money, especially if you intend to tinker with it, you can't beat a ph1, almost always provide more power than the ph2's for a variety of boring reasons too.

Although you said your not interested in power - a cheeky £300.00 on a remap and a ported manifold provides great gains power-wise for the money on a ph1 and is not exactly breaking the bank! Then a good set of adjustable coil-overs (track orientated but ideally can be softened for day to day road use), good braking setup, basic strippage, buckets and your onto a winner.

I will say looking at the standard suspension differences between models is irrelevant for you as you are used to working a car on proper track suspension to its limit, therefor to get the most out of a road car I really would fit coil-overs.

I sometimes wish I had bought a black ph1 instead of a ph2 as the difference is price no way reflects the cars abilities - the difference in interior for example is less relevant as I would throw some Bimarcos and an OMP wheel in it anyway.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 3.2
shame your selling! such an epic car that was!
least you staying with a clio though:approve: