ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Joint

2004 AB 182
Hi Guys, my 182 failed it's MOT today due to the CV Joint on both sides. I am not mechanically minded at all, so have no idea what this means. Can anyone explain what this is, how bad it is and also roughly how much I can expect it to cost to repair.

I have done a search but cannot seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Is there any more details? Mine passed it's MOT with a 'small pin hole in the near side CV boot'.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The joint itself or the gaitor? (gaitor is more common for MOT fail)

Cheapest option:
Pair of secondhand shafts is about 50-100 quid, fitting time is about 15 mins a side, you will need to have your geometry checked really though, in theory it should be uneffected but in reality it often is.

2004 AB 182
From what I understand is the CV Joints on both side are loose. That is all I know. I should know a bit more tonight. If it's too expensive of a job then I may just sell as at the moment I do not need the car as rarely drive anyway.

If I am looking at replacing the full CV Joint, as brand new parts what sort of cost am I looking at?

Suppose what I'm looking for is the worst possible scenario?

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They cant really be "loose" as such.

Unless they mean the hub nut, in which case the bearings will be knackered now.
Or do they mean excessive play? Like making a clicking noise on full lock etc?

If you went for new parts, it would be quite a few hundred pounds.

2004 AB 182
Thanks guys, so I must expect the worst when I get the quote tonight then.

Why are these cars so damn expensive in repairs. Exhaust went and would have been over £800 if I went for standard.

Starting to get a bit fed up with it tbh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
10 year old cars (or there abouts) are best if owner maintained, older cars arent cheaper to own if you spend a fortune in labour.

2004 AB 182
Well I have got the MOT failure certificate and this is what it says:

Nearside and Offside Front Constant Velocity joint gaiter insecure to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc

So how much can I expect the repair of these to cost? It is booked in for Tuesday next week but I have no idea how much to expect.

Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats just the gaitor, cheapest option is if they use a universal stretchy job they are about 20 quid a pair in parts and should be under an hour labour to fit both sides.
Ideally you would get the tracking down afterwards too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes, that is the cheapest and easiest way to fix it, but they arent the same quality as the original items.

For ease of instalation, you want a "stretchy" one, no idea if the one in your link is or not, you slide them up a cone and it means you dont have to take the joint off to get it over.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
It could just need a new jubilee clip on the gator to hold it in place if the gator hasn't actually broken, if it's just popped off its seating that's a 5min job, it needs re-greasing before you re clip it.

Clips popping off is very common, mine has done it twice in a year