ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D.I.Y. inlet manifold

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
after a day in the workshop i've finally finished porting and polishing the inlet manifold to my 03 172.

re fitted it and taken it for a quick test drive.

its AWESOME!!!

and saved myself about 200 quid!!

who said it was the job of professionals......:rasp:

LMAO - got it!!! never done it before but honestly dont think anyonr could have done better!!! not even you FRED!:rasp:

Lionel Richie
well done, i love it when people get stuck in themselves, i'm giving you a new forum name!!

HaveagoHenry

;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I've seem sum apparent pro work and it's far from being A++!!

Top job in having a go!

Fellas the hardest part is getting the manifold off the engine!!

Removing the Inlet Manifold.

Step 1 - Disconect the battery. Take off air box / IK including, elbow and engine cover (4x black hex bolts).

Step 2 - Take off the thing on the top of the engine with the four fingers, think its called a plenium. To do this you need to remove about 7 10mm bolts and lift it away from the inlet manifold. Don't worry about removing it completely - just move it off the inlet manifold. Make sure you remove the gasket carefully, mine was stuck to the top of the inlet manifold.

Step 3 - Remove the alloy square thing just infront of the radiator. 2 X 10mm nuts. You will then see a long black thing with the fuel injectors stuck into it. On the left hand side of the black thing is the push on fuel valve. Squeeze this together and pull it off. (handy to keep a rag or small cup onder this as a small amount of petrol will come out.)

Step 4 - Take off the fuel rail (3 x 10mm bolts) and remove it from the injectors. You will also need to unplug the 4 injectors. Now remove all the visible inlet manifold bolts - all 13mm.

Step 5 - Go under the car and remove the engine cover thing. 4 x 10mm bolts. Now use a trolley jack to support the engine and remove the drivers side engine mount - 3 x 16mm bolts and 1 x 17mm nut.

Step 6 - Jack the engine up slightly to get to the last 16mm bolt on the left side of the manifold. The manifold should now come off.... Be careful as the matal gasket may bend if your too rough with it..

Porting and Polishing.

Use the original gasket as a guide and carefully scribe around its internal circumference to give you a line to work to. Remove the gasket with a stanley blade and keep flat. My manifold needed about 3-4mm removed from the top edge of two of the holes, and 2-3mm from the other two. The lower edges needed about 1-2 mm removing on all holes. I used a dremil type tool with a 20mm grinding disks from B&Q (49p each) to get most of the material removed. Then used a small round ball type grinding stone to even every thing up. Took me about 3 hours to get all four holes looking perfect.

If i've missed anything - please ammend.
Symo