ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

damage repaired cars....

clio 172
I really want to get a phase 2 v6, unfortunatly my budget would only stretch to about £12000 which would maybe get me a phase one vee or a cat c or d phase 2; would any of you touch a damaged repaired car or just steer well clear of them? im unsure on wether to just wait a year or so untill i can afford one without damage :S

RS Clio 182
Personally I would not have an accident damaged car but I suppose Cat D is the safest bet. Also bear in mind re-identified ("ringed") vehicles.

I found the following which may be of help:

If the assessor decides to declare the vehicle a total loss it will be placed into one of four categories:
  • Category A: Beyond repair vehicle must be crushed
  • Category B: vehicles body must be crushed, may be used for supplying some replacement parts
  • Category C: vehicle has been extensively damaged and repaired
  • Category D: Vehicle has been damaged, insurer decided not to repair
If it states on the car accident report by the assessor that the vehicle has been a category A total loss should a vehicle be registered again it would have to go through a vehicle identity check (VIC), carried out by VOSA to establish the vehicle identity, it should also appear on the registration document as a category A. The same applies for categories B and C, however a category D is not required to go through a VIC. These categories are extremely useful in collating vehicle accident history on a given registration number - some vehicle have even been written off several times and this will show on a mycarcheck.com car accident report or vehicle accident report that is included within our vehicle data check.
If you wish to purchase a vehicle included in a car accident report then you must declare this to your insurance company, otherwise they may not pay out in the event of an accident or claim if this had not been made known to them when you were first insured. Remember insurance companies do not check vehicles before they insure them for adverse car history or car damage reports, it is down to the vehicle owner to do this.
The above categories on any given registration number that has been deemed a Total Loss by an insurance company can easily be found by typing the registration number into the check box at www.mycarcheck.com you will also receive other information such as Stolen data from The Police National Computer (PNC) and you will be able to perform a VIN/Chassis check to validate the vehicle's id.
Safety is the main concern with accident damaged vehicles, if a further collision happens then the vehicle could disintegrate, there are over 4 million vehicle currently taxed and on our roads that are regarded as a total loss so check it out first.

Clio 182 cup'd
mycarcheck.com is a little misleading, typed my plate in and in big red writing We have further important information about Y$$$ $$$. I thought s**t!

So I thought Id try another car off Ebay at random "We have further important information about YS54GLF, a Renault Clio Renaultsport 182 16v"

So I figured Id try a car from a dealer just to make sure and surprise "We have further important information about W202WKH, a Renault Clio"

Slightly misleading!!

S4 Avant
dont buy anything below a cat d

bought my 182 as a cat c, thinking it wouldnt cost that much to repair... some one did a good job of covering up the damage, and now my wallets £4,000 lighter

Clio 182 FF/Cup Packs
I wouldn't even touch a CAT D my mate had a CAT D corsa GSI once
it was never right!!

Nothing in particular but it was just never as sweet as it should have been. later on developed significant Gearbox problems.

clio 172
Thanks for that Paul! really helpfull! im still a bit warey of buying a damaged car so may have to just save!

RS Clio 182
Thanks for that Paul! really helpfull! im still a bit warey of buying a damaged car so may have to just save!

Waiting and saving a little bit longer will pay dividends.
Any accident damaged is going to involve additional cost against what may initially look like a bargain. Also consider the resale value when wanting to sell.
Theres plenty of bent motors out there. The good ones take a little longer to find ;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Or just buy a mint Mk1 - they're better anyway hehe ;)

Dan

There is a cat d blue mk2 on pistonheads that doesn't look bad from the pics, the ad says that it's stolen recovered, that car is 12k.

On the other hand 12k will get a superb mk1.

Abarth 500 Essesse
mycarcheck.com is a little misleading, typed my plate in and in big red writing We have further important information about Y$$$ $$$. I thought s**t!

So I thought Id try another car off Ebay at random "We have further important information about YS54GLF, a Renault Clio Renaultsport 182 16v"

So I figured Id try a car from a dealer just to make sure and surprise "We have further important information about W202WKH, a Renault Clio"

Slightly misleading!!

i was getting slightly worried for a minute there too

RS Clio 182
Category A: Beyond repair vehicle must be crushed
Category B: vehicles body must be crushed, may be used for supplying some replacement parts.

I would say that was conclusive. However, there is still the risk that Cat A and B do find there way back onto the road especially in the hands of the unscrupulous - "cut and shut" etc.

Ad

MK2 FRS
dont touch they never drive the same again

just isnt true tbh, especially with something like a vee, were very little damage can write one off due to the cost of the parts.

Written off cars can be risky, but with some like a VX220, Elise, Vee the cost of panels makes them less risky, but like all car purchase listed or not, you have to be careful and make sure you pay the right price.

Engles Mummy
dont touch they never drive the same again

Stupid comment.

I had a cat D v6 which drove fine, I even gotthe legend Mr. Fish to drive it and he also said it was fine.

CAT C/D just make sure its been repaired properly, I.e receipts, invoices, proof of damage & progress pictures of work.

I don't think a good cat d would be a problem if it's been repaired properly!

When i had my 182 it got badly damaged it would of been a cat d/c ( who knows coz i paid for it myself ) was park up outside my mates on a main road, when i heard a bang and my alarm going off, ran outside , was either a stolen car , drink driver , or just some scrote who failed to stop, they were gone!

The whole drivers side of my car was a right fuc*ing mess, i was heartbroken , i drove home , put it on the drive, bloked it in with the wifes car.

Took it first thing in the morning to the BMW bodyshop the best around in my area, it needed a new rear qtr, new door , new wing , new front bumper , they cheaked everything , one of my wheels was scuffed they refurb the lot!

A stunning , it was better than when it went in, just shy of 4k tho!

leon

ValverInBits
becuase you can have a car that you otherwise wouldnt be able to own.
If your handy, then it's a good market to look into