ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DC2 update. Still going strong, still kicking ass...

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Evening all!

Haven't posted for a bit but still come on and have a ganders now and then. I wanted to post up this video of the DC2 blasting around Cadwell on Thursday. My second time there and the weather was lovely.

The car hasn't changed a lot since I posted up last. Went to Anglesey last month which was lovely. Snetterton the month before too which was a lot better than I thought it would be. I dare say Snetterton is top 3 for me now in the UK! Cadwell is definitely number one though. Love the place!

C+C welcome,

Cheers
Dan

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Evening all!

Haven't posted for a bit but still come on and have a ganders now and then. I wanted to post up this video of the DC2 blasting around Cadwell on Thursday. My second time there and the weather was lovely.

The car hasn't changed a lot since I posted up last. Went to Anglesey last month which was lovely. Snetterton the month before too which was a lot better than I thought it would be. I dare say Snetterton is top 3 for me now in the UK! Cadwell is definitely number one though. Love the place!

C+C welcome,

Cheers
Dan

Looks like you done well

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436087350.586913.jpg

Ha! Good driving!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Who gives a f**k about the lap! Only place I'm looking is that footwell! Awesome stuff

Ph1 track slag
Using clutch to take it out of gear then again to put it in gear. Makes for a smoother change and gives the gearbox and clutch a bit of an easier time. Helps keep the car settled under braking and downshifting.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Thanks all. Yeah couldn't believe car meme's shared it when I woke up earlier. I wish they wouldn't have called it an insanely quick lap though haha.

Those laps were around 1:46/7, my best of the day was a 1:45.06 just going by frames on my GoPro. I could have gone faster but I had an off in the first session and it knackered my geo. Car felt really unbalanced all day :(

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
@DanielJames
Very impressive video, as well as your other Cadwell uploads on YouTube.

Are you the Dan I met at the Nurburgring last October, if so you were with another Dan who at the Ibiza Cupra?

Using clutch to take it out of gear then again to put it in gear. Makes for a smoother change and gives the gearbox and clutch a bit of an easier time. Helps keep the car settled under braking and downshifting.
10 points to captain obvious ;) I think it was posted in jest.
Skills, DanielJames - lovely footwork. Did you ditch the exhaust from one of your previous threads?

Ph1 track slag
10 points to captain obvious :wink: I think it was posted in jest.
Skills, DanielJames - lovely footwork. Did you ditch the exhaust from one of your previous threads?

apologies. I'm not fluent in smileys, I'm guessing the tongue out meant I'm asking but I already know. Learning.

Last edited:
  DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
@DanielJames
Very impressive video, as well as your other Cadwell uploads on YouTube.

Are you the Dan I met at the Nurburgring last October, if so you were with another Dan who at the Ibiza Cupra?

Hey mate, that sounds like us! Dan was at Cadwell too. We did Spa and the 'ring again back in April, really great experience.

I don't remember making a CS friend though :grin: where did we meet again?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Lovely heel & toe! Very refreshing to see someone has mastered the techniques required for proper track driving ...
Next time wear loafers with white socks though if you are running a pedal cam :wink:

Haha, for sure. That Senna video is one of my all time favourites.

330i. E30 Touring.
Wicked footwork there, but another in the camp of no need to double de-clutch! That's the beauty of synchro's!
Also, would you not be more comfy with a dished steering wheel? Looks a bit of a stretch at on bigger bends?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Why are you double de clutching? Its not a 1960 lorry with no syncromesh!
Scene points
As above. :innocent:

Gotta say I just do it because I enjoy it to be honest. It's pretty cool nailing it especially while braking. I know it's not required but then neither is heel and toe, a lot of guys I go with are happy to just slam the car down a gear and yank the clutch up.

1st, 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are notoriously weak on these as well. My gearbox is healthy and I'll do all I can to keep it that way. :kissing:

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Wicked footwork there, but another in the camp of no need to double de-clutch! That's the beauty of synchro's!
Also, would you not be more comfy with a dished steering wheel? Looks a bit of a stretch at on bigger bends?

A few people have said that about the wheel! I used to have a snap off steering wheel on that brought the wheel say 2" closer to me and I hated it. That was before fitting the bucket seat though so maybe now I could do with refitting and see if I prefer it.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Tried heel and toeing many years ago and I was hopeless at it, mind you I didn't really practise for that long.

I regularly rev match when downshifting but some say it's not that good for the clutch? Pretty pointless for road driving but I'm used to it now, lol.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Tried heel and toeing many years ago and I was hopeless at it, mind you I didn't really practise for that long.

I regularly rev match when downshifting but some say it's not that good for the clutch? Pretty pointless for road driving but I'm used to it now, lol.
Nonsense (whoever told you it's not good for the clutch). Rev matching is preserving the clutch from premature wear. It's all about being mechanically sympathetic which will prolong gearbox/clutch and even engine mount life. Imagine how much force is being taken up by your engine mounts when you drop a cog and slam the clutch out compared to perfectly matching the revs and it just hooking up without drama and keeping the car balanced (if you're cornering).

Funnily enough, I hooked 4 cameras up in my car last weekend and recorded 45 minutes of demonstrating various gear changes and the benefit to rev matching (including rev matching, heal and toe and double clutching- not sure why people are calling it double de-clutching though) with a view to making a few YT vids on it. There are already plenty of vids online showing it, but there's something wrong with most of them. I just hate my video voice so I haven't done anything with it yet!

If a car is reknown for having weak synchros then fair play. But in my experience the only time double clutching helps these days is going into 1st at speed (so when you're doing 25mph in a 172 for example).

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
not sure why people are calling it double de-clutching though

Double De-clutching is the UK word for it. Double clutching is the american-ism that makes no technical sense.

Double De-clutching is totally redunant in a gearbox with a syncro (regardless of it being made of chocolate or not).

Double de-clutching is used on a vehicle with no syncro's or direct mesh 'syncros'. Basically they will not going into gear (up or down) if the lay-shaft speed is different to the main shaft.

The worst sufferers of this were HGV's, of which my experience is in.

You declutch (depress the clutch pedal) to allow you to move the box out of gear. In doing so the lay-shaft disengages and starts to slow. You need to adjust the speed of the layshaft relative the speed of the main-shaft to allow smooth engagement of a gear. Blipping the throttle while the clutch is disengaged has no effect on the lay-shaft speed, as it is disengaged, so you need to engage the clutch (release the clutch pedal) before blipping. Depress the clutch again now the revs (and lay-shaft speed) are up, and engage the gear. Release the clutch to take up the drive.

Summary:

Depress clutch, out of gear, release clutch, blip throttle, depress clutch, into gear, release clutch. Two separate clutch disengagements, so its double de-clutching.

Cars with a syncromesh have a near instant lay-main shaft engagement rendering the old process redundant.

Heel toe on down shifts is still needed though as that a case of matching engine speed to main shaft speed which is dictated by gear ratio and road speed.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Double De-clutching is the UK word for it. Double clutching is the american-ism that makes no technical sense.

Double De-clutching is totally redunant in a gearbox with a syncro (regardless of it being made of chocolate or not).

Double de-clutching is used on a vehicle with no syncro's or direct mesh 'syncros'. Basically they will not going into gear (up or down) if the lay-shaft speed is different to the main shaft.

The worst sufferers of this were HGV's, of which my experience is in.

You declutch (depress the clutch pedal) to allow you to move the box out of gear. In doing so the lay-shaft disengages and starts to slow. You need to adjust the speed of the layshaft relative the speed of the main-shaft to allow smooth engagement of a gear. Blipping the throttle while the clutch is disengaged has no effect on the lay-shaft speed, as it is disengaged, so you need to engage the clutch (release the clutch pedal) before blipping. Depress the clutch again now the revs (and lay-shaft speed) are up, and engage the gear. Release the clutch to take up the drive.

Summary:

Depress clutch, out of gear, release clutch, blip throttle, depress clutch, into gear, release clutch. Two separate clutch disengagements, so its double de-clutching.

Cars with a syncromesh have a near instant lay-main shaft engagement rendering the old process redundant.

Heel toe on down shifts is still needed though as that a case of matching engine speed to main shaft speed which is dictated by gear ratio and road speed.
Fair enough! I have always known it as double clutching. I don't think I could explain it as technically as you have there but I know how it works and have just found personally on old cars it can still be required to slip into 1st at speed. Whether that's the synchro on 1st or something else?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Fair enough! I have always known it as double clutching. I don't think I could explain it as technically as you have there but I know how it works and have just found personally on old cars it can still be required to slip into 1st at speed. Whether that's the synchro on 1st or something else?
At a guess the ratio's of speed between the shafts in 1st will be the biggest, hence benefiting from it. I don't know haha.