ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de-cat questions

hey all ive got a 1.4 16v si w reg clio. which ive had put on a powerflow back box.

ive heard some mention of de-catin or cat bypasses, is this where you replace the cat with a straight threw pipe?

i can get this done at the same place i had my back box done, but im just wondering wot differences this makes to the car, eg, noise, performance. petrol consumption? mot?

i gather that if u replace the cat with a straight threw pipe that you will fail ur emissions test on ur mot? is this correct .

cheers tom

my MOT geezer said he wouldnt test it cost the law was the car MUST av a CAT whether it passes or not!

but that woz probably jus that toss pot but i couldnt argue coz no where else could fit my car on the ramp

right, how much louder than my already fairly loud exhaust?

and how much faster would i be looking at from a 1.4? is it worth doing basically??????

so how wud u get round the mot if it failed its emissions?

is it fairly easy to swop between havin a cat and not if i kept my old cat?

thanks tom

Focus ST

I already had a loud k-tec exhaust when I got my (silenced) de-cat fitted and it didnt make it that much louder

The performance difference is definitely noticable

My car passed with a de-cat and its a 93K. Not sure if the garage made a mistake but I didnt mention it and it passed!:)

yeh i thort 5-0 ,might me the police. not my lingo :D

thats alright then i might go and have it done then if its not going to cause too much chaos to my car and the envirnoment lol

so all i need to do is to have the cat taken out and a straight threwq pipe put in its place, and that will improve the performance. there isnt anything else involved?

thanks tom

Focus ST

Nothing else involved, if youre that worried about the noise then get a silenced de-cat pipe, if you can get one for your car

Im in a similar situation as you tom, Ive got a loud backbox + K&N filter already - so im pretty much sorted fr the noise. I mainly want a de-cat for the bhp increase.

Was thinking of a silenced one (cost more), but then since i have all that noise, why not stop and go for an un-silenced one (will give you a few more pops n bangs :)). But i dont want poilce turning heads all the time, especially as this will be illegal.

What you could always do is get an un-silenced one and make a surround to go around it (no sure what it would be made of) and put it round ur de-cat.

Then in the unlikey even of a copper checking under ur car, at least it would look like uve got a cat on.

OR just got for a silenced one :))

Its not illegal to have a De-Cat - as long as it passes the emissions.

There isnt a visual CAT check.. its just the emissions.

I doubt they can check.. but if it fails the MOT it shouldnt be on the road.. if it passes, then itll be ok anyway.

I think they can make you get the car fixed and redo the MOT (not sure how this works for new cars tho 3< years old?) Its not illegal to have a de-cat.

Quote: Originally posted by Phil 99 on 18 February 2004
oh, can the police check ur emissions on the side of the road?

my mate has been pulled to the side of the road for a "Emissions And Safety test" before. was in the middle of the summer. they pulled him into a laybay, bout 6 people in mechanic uniforms, and a couple of police stood on bikes watching. told him to do lights etc, various shouts of "pass" from round the car, then shoved the hose on the exhaust and told him to start it up. took about 2 mins in all, then sent him on his way

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

a decat will probably cause it to fail an emissions test espicially on newer model as the emission limits are a lot tighter.you may need to remove for the mot.police sometimes set up check points as dudelove was saying and they could check the emissions.you will most likely recieve a police rectification order.

I just got a de-cat from magnex, fitted it at the weekend and although i wasnt too chuffed with the fitment (poor for the usual magnex stuff ive had) there is a definate increase in performance!

Ive noticed a much more responsive mid range :D

As my de-cat was silenced all ive noticed in terms of noise is a much MUCH deeper tone but not that much louder thank god :)

i went to my powerflow fitters yesterday and they said they can do me a de cat for £80 fitted. they sed it would make a noise difference but they didnt specify whether it was silenced or not.

am having it fitted this afternoon if they can fit me in,

just another quick question how does a de cat affect your petrol consumption?? cheers tom

does the 1.2 16v (2001) have that twin lambada jobbies? just checking before i put a de-cat on, how do you overcome the twin lambada(sure that aint spelt right) set it up to loop? hows that done? cheers

took my 1.4 16v down to my local powerflow peeps earlier and they werent able to do my de cat today for me . they didnt have enought ime because my exhaust system seems to have 2 cats in it. they are gona do it sat for me. by taking out both of them , and making it so i can put on bk on for MOT purposes. they quoted me £150 to do this fully fitted etc, inc vat.

just went down the road after to look at gettin an induction kit for my clio 2. only ones available r K&N and RAM AIR.

which ones best? K&N is slightly more expensive.

cheers tom