ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead Island

Fiesta ST-3
First impressions...

I love it :)
I chose the melee guy, and I have just combined a 'threatening stick' with a box of nails. It is simply awesome what it does to a zombie!!

Seems really good in the way that you get levels, and XP and talent points. Reminds me of a more playable borderlands.
I can't wait for some others to get it so I can do online Coop... would be a right laugh having one of each character running around smashing, shooting, throwing things and slashing zombies together.

I'll get more of an idea for it later on, but so far so good. It's good in the way that you can just get on with the story mode or choose to help as many people as you like for certain rewards.

Fiesta ST-3
Depends entirely on what types of games people like. I personally really like it! Bit of light hearted zombie smashing with a few friends is pretty fun!

So after losing a day on it (today), I thought I'd give a small review (very small).
It's basically Borderlands with a different story and more melee/close quarter weapons.
It's good but not what i expected, there's very little repetition which i certainly like as you never really go into the same area more than once or even go over the same road.
As a single player game i think it might just be a winner, but as a multi-player game it's definitely good fun!

Never above 25mpg
I've heard it's utter s**t...
You heard incorrectly.

Fun game but dont think I could play it alone. I got bored on Dead Rising even though that was fun. Was playing with friends til 1am this morning and had fun.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Agree with the above, decent game multiplayer wise. Not overly repetitive and I quite like the running out of breath idea, it even uses more running up a steeper hill which I thought was quite clever. Not sure how the missions work with regards to online though, are you only completing one persons? The person you join.

I'm only level 10 and had some fun knives and stuff, looking forward to making some weapons, can baseball bat be morphed with wire etc? I chose throwing guy and it's pretty fun lobbing a load of weapons at zombie with them all sticking out of him punch him to death. Although some weapons tend to go missing on multi. Love chopping their arms off too and they try and headbutt you lol.

Bus w**ker
Just seen that you can get this and 12 copies of FHM for £25 from http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/ with the code FHMSAVE£20 and if you go through TopCashBackfirst you can get the package for £19.95 with one card payment, so no Direct Debit to cancel. Worth a punt for that price.

Picked this up today (£32 ASDA).

Not had chance to play yet, as I'll be unveiling it tomorrow with a few mates for co-op.

Bought this today - It's like a cross between Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands & Fallout 3.

I'm really enjoying it - it's completely utterly fecking mental at times, and there are a fair few annoying bits about it though. Good though.

Fiesta ST-2
Bought this today - It's like a cross between Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands & Fallout 3.

I'm really enjoying it - it's completely utterly fecking mental at times, and there are a fair few annoying bits about it though. Good though.

Snap.

Bought today and the above sums it up very well.

Been having a dabble on co-op with my mate and it's a great laugh, ended up just going off on a random drive for about 2 hours, completely forgetting about the quests.

Done a few co-op missions today, it's quite a good game.

Very L4D2 vs. Dead Rising, which is what I wanted.

I'll purely be playing co-op, so not sure if this will make much difference to achievements etc, but so far I like it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone who prefers their zombie killing as in L4D2 (like me) might be a bit put off by this. After all, L4D2 is an FPS and this is an RPG first and foremost. I really, really disliked Borderlands as it was simply a hollowed-out RPG with an FPS structure. Dead Island is much the same, but it has caught my attention more.

As others, coop is where it's at. However, without immediate friends, this is also its worst aspect. In L4D2, even when teaming up with three complete strangers - you had a set mission and series of levels to complete. People joined, people left. But more often than not, they stayed until the end. In this, people are coming and going in minute intervals, sometimes less. It makes for a very fragmented and frustrating progress indeed and ultimately makes me switch back to single player and ignore all the join requests. Like I said however, with three mates who you know well, that would be a different playing experience entirely.

The rate at which the weapons degrade is a little silly - even with the 'upgrades' to make them more tougher through slaughtering zombies. It also makes the cardinal sin of RPG leveling - by that - all the opponents (ala Borderlands) are within a Level or two of the Level that you're currently on. Stupid, annoying and irritating at the same time. That beach area that I was at not two minutes ago had Level 2 zombies on it. Now they are suddenly Level 4 now because I am? :S Lazy, lazy programming. I'm all up for maintaining a challenge and pitting you against opposition that isn't a walkover. But every now and then there should be a sprinkling of weaker adversaries - ones that allow you in an instant to see how far you've progressed in the game and increased your stats/abilities accordingly. One of the very few RPGs of recent times that I've seen do this has been Titan Quest : Immortal Throne. It's great to reflect on how Level 1 enemies could prove tough at the very start of the game. Yet when you return at Level 26 and get surrounded by a horde of them, they prove to be little more than a nuisance.

That said, Dead Island is good. I'd give it 7/10 overall - probably 8/10 when played in as part of a decent quartet.

D.

been playing it a while now good fun but seems to keep crashing when i join multiplayer :(

Mine doesn't crash, but keeps saying "Unable to connect at this time". But after a few tries it lets me join a mate's room.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What's the crack with the juice pickup from the two petrol stations? I've chucked in two packs from each petrol station into the back of the truck - dumped all four boxes at head honcho's feet - and all he says is "Have you checked both stations"?

Does anyone know if the reliability of the weapons gets any better? It's bloody frustrating having to go back and repair the fecking things again and again....:(

D.

Darren - did you put the juice in the garage? there are two spots on the floor on the far right. Stupidly hard to spot - but they are there.

Stumped me too.

The weapons are shiz. Although it does look good when my baseball bat (forget the actual name of it - blue named one) is so battered and bloodied it looks more like a broomstick than a baseball bat.

I waited what seemed like forever to get hold of a gun, and when I finally do - they're utter donkey dick.

Still enjoying it though.

Yeh the juice one got me too.

I'm up to 45%, skill level 20 now, only doing co-op with 2 mates, so limited when we all agree to go on.

Got a few guns and a stun gun. There's one level with a mounted machine gun which gets some serious kills.

Enjoying it.

8729331a.gif

4fae6718.gif

Excuse the phone shots.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Darren - did you put the juice in the garage? there are two spots on the floor on the far right. Stupidly hard to spot - but they are there.

Stumped me too.

The weapons are shiz. Although it does look good when my baseball bat (forget the actual name of it - blue named one) is so battered and bloodied it looks more like a broomstick than a baseball bat.

I waited what seemed like forever to get hold of a gun, and when I finally do - they're utter donkey dick.

Still enjoying it though.

Yeh the juice one got me too.

I'm up to 45%, skill level 20 now, only doing co-op with 2 mates, so limited when we all agree to go on.

Got a few guns and a stun gun. There's one level with a mounted machine gun which gets some serious kills.

Enjoying it.

8729331a.gif

4fae6718.gif

Excuse the phone shots.

Cheers bollo - thanks for the tip!

The weapons degrade rate is really getting to me now. So much so that when you actually get to an objective, you've 'blunted' two, maybe even three of your primary weapons and have several harder zombie thugs to take on. It's stupid - it really is. Especially pissing about to repair the bloody things. Grrrr. :mad:

It's like playing a great FPS where the gun you're carrying can only hold two rounds and you have to leg it all the way back to base to collect more ammo. I don't know what the hell the game designers were thinking in letting it pass as bad as it currently is. Weapons degrade with use. Fine. But some of the feeble ones are knackered after 10-12 hits - making them pretty much pointless. I agree, the clue is in the name of the weapon - but even ones with a high resilience break down far too quickly. Made even worse by the auto-leveling of opposition which means that a similar level zombie to yourself takes 6-8 hits to put down properly. So a weapon can take on two to three zombies before failing? Rofl.

Crazy. :(

D.

Never above 25mpg
Weapon deterioration is annoying me too aswell. Even after you've spent $$ upgrading them it's pointless. And the guns are crap on the "boss" zombies.

Ok,
So I just murdered Mugambe's wife and daughter in two of the most stupidly small rooms in computer game history
- and now I can't get back - I've got a load of s**tty weapons and keep getting hounded by tw*tty zombies. A kick in the face won't suffice.

Balls.

Who is this chinese blade woman?? - oh ignore me - I'm stupid; you mean one of the other characters don't you?

I'm level 20 and I've had enough of it now - this had the potential to be epic. It just falls pretty far short. Unfortunately. Tempted to trade in for Resistance 3 tomorrow...

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-3
Upgrading weapons improves durability. I think it's really, really good. Up to 52% of the story and it's one of the best games I've played for a while!

^ Worst spoiler tags ever?

Did a few more last night, up to 55%. Still on Act 2, but have gone back to the beach to do some of the side missions to gain XP to level up.

Fiesta ST-3
Yeah I love how you can just go back and do more stuff. The amount of weapon mods, and different category of weapon (green, blue, purple and orange) make the game really deep and playable. I have a toxic axe that does like 600 damage.

I've just got through the sewers... did anyone else find the orange skull thing?

Evo 5 RS
They really nailed the lighting in this, I wouldn't say it's even comparable to L4D 2. The only comparison is the fact it has zombies.

Finding blue prints for weapons is a little frustrating and so far I've only managed to make a bat with nails.

Also, with mates it's a scream. Play on your own and it gets boring in 5 minutes.