ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dealers never fail to surprise...

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Found a car I was interested in, in a garage up north somewhere....thought I'd see what they'd give me in part ex for my car as would save the problem of selling mine.

2004 clio 182, 42k on the clock, frsh, 11 months mot etc...

...I expected it to be on the low side but 3500 seemed to be taking the piss a little lol!

Needless to say the car is still on the market privately!

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Well, I was!

Was looking a month or 2 ago and was offered a part ex at around 4950 and was thinking as their car was priced reasonably that I might have taken that.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
was only 6 months ago vw offered me 5k for my cup... exect its worht about 2p now...i wouldnt take 3500 for your 182 would rather let it go privately..

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Nope, I'm not going don't worry!

I don't need the money (although money is tight, but budgets set etc...) for anything else, except the desire for a vx220 na.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I dont and will never understand why people try and trade in at dealers.

Some people say its for convenience and easy transaction to there new car.

I cant see how being riped off for roughly 2k on trade in is a convenience

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I was only considering part ex if I could get a vaguely sensible figure as they had a car I want, and cars aren't really selling right now - mine is down to 5600 on here - and I thought that wasn't too bad a price given the mods/mileage/mot/fsh etc...

182 FF Inferno
Joebristolgym, maybe the mods put some people off? Maybe they look at the mods and think the car has been thrashed . I think the mods you have on it limit the market you are selling to.

All my opinion, if you can I would put it as back to standard as poss maybe drop the price slightly, and sell the bits seperately. (sure you'd get good money for the steering wheel)

320d
I'm loving these falling RS prices. Along with falling petrol prices, next summer will be a good time to buy hopefully.

- i've moved this in here as it clio related. As long as it doesn't turn into a 'what is my car worth thread' then it can stay.

Monaco RS Clio 172
3-4 months ago I paid 4650 for my 52 plate 172, full history totally std good condition etc all new tyres, years mot 4 months tax.

just wondering if I paid too much actually. altho I love it so am not too worried. doubt I'd get near this private let alone trade in. am really starting to fancy a 197 cup in white with the black wheels and huge brakes... would renault even consider my car? I'd guess at them giving me nothing more than 2k the way things are

so I'm sticking with this until it dies or until 197 cups are worth 7k lol

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
i got £3400 p/x for my 52 plate 172 with also 100K on the clock in march! think i got rid at the right time

I think the mods won't help you sell it tbh. I'd go for a standard one over a modded one, but that's just me.

At this time of year, these cars just aren't selling. And you can pick up standard ones for £4500-£5000 private now!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Is anyone genuinley surpised by what there car isnt worth anymore?

We are in the middle of a recession and no one wants to buy cars that do 30mpg along with steep insurance/tax

Theres a limited amount of people in the market for hot hatches.

Theres far, far more supply than demand, thus making it a very strong 'buyers' market unfortunatley...

Motorbikes
I looked at part exchanging the Fastra but I was shocked at just how little they offered me for a car only 18 months old.... at a Vauxhall garage too.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldnt hold your breath on the Oil price to stay as it is chaps.

If the past is anything to go by then there will be tsunamis and storms by the dozen this winter and the price of oil will go through the roof as per par for the course...

(Can you tell my glass is half empty?) lol

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Well I'm certainly not letting the 182 go for £3500, unless the garage are going to drop the price of their vx220 - I could prob let my car go for £5500, but wouldn't be looking to go much lower then that...

I can't put the 182 back to standard fully as don't have the original wheels/tyres or steering wheel. Have original suspension/airbox etc, but the car sounds much better with the Viper in it, and the 15's might look a bit daft with standard height suspension.

The only way round that is to do a deal with someone for my wheels and suspension in exchange for their standard Clio wheels (some kind of 16's - either 172 cup ones if they'd fit, or 182 anthracite wheels) plus a bit of cash. That way I could then reduce the price down even further.

Selling steering wheel prob isn't an option as all in new it was about £200 for wheel/boss/horn buttons, and a 2nd hand standard one would prob cost £150 so it wouldn't work out any better - just I'd have a standard one. If the car doesn't sell I don't want a standard one in there, as the sabelt one is so much better.

182 FF Inferno
To be honest Joe, I don't think you'll get £5.5k in the curremt climate. Theres an RB in classifieds up for £5k.

I can see your point about the mods, and I'm sure there is someone out there who wants your car with all the mods, just a question of finding them. Just that your market is limited as, like xzibit (and me) prefer seem to prefer standard cars.