ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decenct VFM home cinema system - £600

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
What are people’s thoughts on this AV set up?

System 1 from Richer Sounds.

http://www.richersounds.com/information/plasmasystems

I know it’s not going to be the best set up in the world, but it will be in a reasonably small room, so don’t really need anything bigger than a 32” TV. I can run my iPod through the receiver, along with the PS3 and DVD player, and still get 5.1.

Budget is £600, and ideally would like TV, DVD (although not essential), receiver and speakers. I can’t really afford to spend more at the moment, and could do with something ASAP, as I’ll be moving into my new flat tomorrow, although won’t be spending any time there until Sunday.

Anything else worth looking at?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
As I'm sure Revels will confirm, I am a complete techno n00b, so if you do start talking tech, please bare that in mind, and talk to me as if you're training a labrador to sit, as opposed to going massively geeky, if at all possible.

Lol. I think there's a lot worse you can buy than that whole set up TBH.

It's good to have things separate for upgrading at a later date. Obviously you can spend a lot more and people will probably recommend you to do so, but for what you want want that will be fine.

But Richer Sounds actually have knowledgeable staff so if you pop in and explain what you want I'm sure they'll sort you out. You just need to make sure it's got more than 1 optical port on the back as that's what feeds the sound. You'll need one for the PS3 (if you have that, do you really need a DVD player?) and Tv.

1.8 Civic EX
Lol. I think there's a lot worse you can buy than that whole set up TBH.

It's good to have things separate for upgrading at a later date. Obviously you can spend a lot more and people will probably recommend you to do so, but for what you want want that will be fine.

But Richer Sounds actually have knowledgeable staff so if you pop in and explain what you want I'm sure they'll sort you out. You just need to make sure it's got more than 1 optical port on the back as that's what feeds the sound. You'll need one for the PS3 (if you have that, do you really need a DVD player?) and Tv.

Does HDMI not "transmit" 5.1 then? I always thought it did?! (I'm currenlty using optical though so wouldn't know any different lol)

Tesla MP3 2021
HDMI does carry audio but your AV Receiver needs to be able to passthrough audio via the HDMI connection.

For example, I have the Onkyo TXSR508 and I have my Sky HD, PS3, Blu Ray player and Media player all connected up via HDMI and the sound is also passed through to the speakers, though through the Sky Box you do need to use an optical/coax cable if you want 5.1

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I went down there and had a chat with them.

Set my budget with them, as in the OP, walked out with the TV above, and then Onkyo receiver and speakers. All done within about 30 minutes. Was probably the easiest customer that day, lol.

5.1 audi over the HDMI, can use the PS3 as a DVD player, so seemed silly having a DVD player for the sake of it.

Took out the 5 year guarantee with them, which apparently is refundable if you don't use it within the 5 years. I'm willing to assume that's b0llocks, but none the less, means I know I'm covered for 5 years, should I need it.

Revels - That was why I wanted to get seperates, was so that I could upgrade in the future.

Cheers all.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Is this so you can entertain the new ladiesssssssss?

Lol, have you ever met a lady who has been entertained by home cinema systems?

It's mainly so I can watch p**n on a big telly instead of my lap top while I'm sitting in my pants, eating roast beef monster munch and crying into my newly opened box of Kleenex.

As for meeting new ladies, where did you find your wife? She sounds like she tolerates drunken messes with an ability to always say / do the wrong thing.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL!! I wish I lived nearer to you. I'd love to go out on the piss together.

My wife is VERY tolerant indeed. Last night I went out and sank 7 pints of cider and smoked 10 fags. Came home dribbling and stinking and she still let me climb on. Happy days.

She looked like she enjoyed it too. Fair play to me.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL!! I wish I lived nearer to you. I'd love to go out on the piss together.

My wife is VERY tolerant indeed. Last night I went out and sank 7 pints of cider and smoked 10 fags. Came home dribbling and stinking and she still let me climb on. Happy days.

She looked like she enjoyed it too. Fair play to me.

Ha, we do need to get out on the piss.

I'm on a 2 day bender starting on Thursday with my mate who's a sparky and has all of December off. His wife's only request is that he doesn't go to a t1tty bar. If we're not in a t1tty bar by half 7, I will be very surprised.

I was walked back to a mates house last week, she said it was like walking home with a disobediant 2 year old. Some of the people I 'insulted' on the way home apparently:

A group of Emo's - "You all look like lego men, man up"
An old guy in a white suit - (Apparently I genuinely looked amazed) - "It's the man from Del-monte, the actual man from Del Monte". "Where did you get that suit?" "I need one of those in my life".
A girl on a bike - "Learn to drive d1ck face"

Got back to hers, ate some fish fingers, threw up, passed out in her bed, made her sleep on the sofa. Why people are friends with me, I don't know, ha.