ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dephaser pulley

RenaultSport 182
can anyone tell me what the dephaser pully is and what does it do , and why could it make my 172 sound like a diesel on tickover when warm.

Monaco 53/468
its the camshaft pulley, pretty sure its oil filled and acts in a similar way to a torque convertor (on auto boxes), basically its related to the VVT and they can wear/break up after a while and cause the rattle, cambelt off jobbie I'm afraid

Try looking on www.howstuffworks.com! maybe some info on there

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
dont know what it does but mine was fucked and had that lovely diesel sound and would stall a lot a low idle. cost about £100 for the part, i had mine swapped when i did cam belt.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Dephaser pulley is the oil filled inlet cam pulley. It controls the VVT (variable valve timing) and means the inlet pulley can become out of phase with the other pulleys by a number of degrees, controlled by the ECU. This then increases or decreases valve overlap duration etc, mainly for EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and emissions purposes afaik.

But as to why it may fail or be noisy, I would imagine something to do with being starved of oil or something, but not sure. Sorry! At least you know what its for though :)

Last edited: