ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser timing?

Been trying to diagnose my friend's 182 that has a very sluggish acceleration. Feels like it accelerates to about 3k rpm then begins to feel sluggish after that. Codes checked and nothing came up. Its in the garage anyway so we've had everything off. We decided to look at the timing whilst we were at it, put the pin in the front of the engine into the crank TDC and had a look at the cam slots. They seem pretty much in line and the cam tool goes in fine, both slots are below the line on the head. However, I saw mentioned somewhere about the dephaser needing to be point at 12 oclock and it seems as though, when the locking tools are on, the dephaser points 45 degrees to the left (image below). Also there are some paint lines on the cams that seem 180 degrees out for some reason (unless we have got the cams upside down?)

Could this be the cause of the sluggish feeling? And if so, could someone please tell me what is required to line the dephasher back up to the correct location? We are scratching are heads trying to figure out what is probably a simple solution. Also, could somebody explain what the dephaser actually does? and how it works as we have no idea, couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:

IMG_20170706_202919_resized_20170706_102004954.jpg

IMG_20170706_202955_resized_20170706_102005379.jpg

Clio RS 172 2002
Have you checked the basic stuff? Fuel filter, spark plugs, ignition leads and coil pack? Battery earths?