ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DI Vessel + Megane Wash + Full r****d

Not a 320d
Bought a 15 litre DI vessel with MB115 resin and a new Nilfisk E 140.3-9 pressure washer to replace a ruptured Nilfisk C110 which I am going to try get replaced. I have always wanted to do this but never had the cash and having bought the Megane and found washing satin black wheels is the most difficult thing EVER due to spotting (even with C5 applied)... I decided I had to have a DI vessel. Sold a kidney and I was then the proud owner of a DI vessel.

So I got it hooked up to the mains which was reading 305+ (370 the other day) and ran it through, filled 2 large buckets with it and then hooked it up to the pressure washer. Quick water test showed 2ppm Initially (straight after running the water through it before filling buckets) which I was happy with. I thought it had some issues feeding the new Nilfisk but this seemed to sort itself out after a couple of mins and during the final rinse I had no issues. Then I decided to test the water that was left in the Nilfisk at the end of the wash and much to my annoyance it was showing 90ppm.

Decided to drag the vessel round back and see if it just needed water running through it, or perhaps lower the rate of flow through the vessel, but the tests showed 90ppm+ consistently. I was really annoyed, then it dawned on me that I had attached the water hoze on the outlet side of the vessel. Swapped this round and got consistent readings of 2ppm over a continuous 2 minute full flow run. If it stays at 2ppm for the next 12 months I will be thrilled, I hope it goes to 0ppm with the next use.

I think the water feels smoother now (no joke) and there were less suds than normal. Amazingly there is no streaking on the windows atall after drying as usually I would need to run round with AF Crystal quickly to clean the windows. Time will tell if there is any marks left from the sills running

2016-08-31%2020.40.12_zpsljigzkze.jpg

Before and after

20160831_205011_zpsvewb8yq8.jpg

9m hoze is a god send but the thing leaks at the inlet just like the reviews said it would.

20160831_200338_zpseormsrod.jpg

Hope it looks as shiney on your screen as it does mine.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A friend has switched to DI vessel and thoroughly recommends them. He has said you need to roll the vessels so that the water doesn't create a channel through the resin.

Lovely looking colour. I really want that

Not a 320d
Thanks both, Dave I did give it a good shake but ill try again when I next use it (probably this weekend on the Focus).

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Appreciate you opening my eyes to this. I had never heard of a DI vessel. Im guessing it takes out all the minerals from the water. Can you link to where one can buy this DI vessel . By "rolling the vessel" do you mean you have to do that everytime you use it or just once the first time you use it.

Not a 320d
Appreciate you opening my eyes to this. I had never heard of a DI vessel. Im guessing it takes out all the minerals from the water. Can you link to where one can buy this DI vessel . By "rolling the vessel" do you mean you have to do that everytime you use it or just once the first time you use it.

Np.

http://www.daqua.co.uk/divessels.htm

So I got mine from daqua. A vessel is a vessel so if you wanted to try get one on eBay or second hand then you might get one for a good price. The resin is expensive. 75 quid or so for mb115 and that will give you 2 fills in an 11 litre vessel. A fill should last you 18 months or so detailing world seems to say so that's maybe 3 years for 75 quid???. The ppm tester is cheap... Maybe a fiver off amazon. People say change at 10ppm as anything under that you can literally leave to dry in the sun. Over on detailing world people say the 11 litre is the sweet spot I just went for 15 because it wasn't a lot extra.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=104955&highlight=DI+resin+vesse

There is the dw thread I got a lot of info from on this. I have almost the same setup as he does now.

Basically window cleaners use the vessels as they are portable and produce 0ppm water which means they can leave the water to dry without water spotting. That's all it is. Just a tank that sits in line with a hoze pipe and filters the particles out of tap water.

I won't be using mine sparingly. I'll be using the filtered water to fill 2 buckets, clean wheels and pre wash paint and for the final rinse.

I'll update at some point as I noticed water splashing from the wing mirrors tonight when I drove the car. Be interesting to see if the 90ppm water I rinsed with gives any marks.

Reactions: Gus

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've wanted one for years, it'd certainly make maintenance washes using hydro2 etc a complete f**king doddle!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Friend uses it just for the final rinse on his black and dark grey cars. He hasn't found it necessary for the washing parts, but whilst the LSP is still effective he can pressure rinse with the di water, then open hose rinse with the di water and it's good enough to leave to dry in direct sunlight.

The rollin of the vessels is a periodic thing. Continued use of the vessel the water will start to create a path through the resin reducing it's effectiveness. Occassional rolling will mix up the resin and close up any cavities created by the water path. Not needed every use.

Not a 320d
Friend uses it just for the final rinse on his black and dark grey cars. He hasn't found it necessary for the washing parts, but whilst the LSP is still effective he can pressure rinse with the di water, then open hose rinse with the di water and it's good enough to leave to dry in direct sunlight.

The rollin of the vessels is a periodic thing. Continued use of the vessel the water will start to create a path through the resin reducing it's effectiveness. Occassional rolling will mix up the resin and close up any cavities created by the water path. Not needed every use.

Thanks

Wish Id of had one with the BMW 320d lol. That was a mare to keep pristine.

I had planned to just use it for the rinse but even if it costs me £75 a year in resin I can live with that.

I think I sorted the leak in the pressure washer. Changed the inlet adapter to the standard one and used a plastic hozelock adapter and its been fine all of yesterday when i used it to clean the driveway. Hopefully wont start leaking again as its a good pressure washer with a good spread on the nozzle. Not too sharp.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
@Cliotoby if it's a nilfisk you've got, the auto nozzle attachment gives a good fan and not quite as pressurised as the standard nozzle. Works well for final rinsing
https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=3563

Can't remember if the adjustable nozzle comes as standard now, but if regularly used/ adjusted I found them fail. I've switched back the the standard jet nozzle and the slightly weaker auto nozzle

The angled nozzle also comes in very useful through winter or wet grimey weather
https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=3564