ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diesel put into a 172....

Clio 172 Mk2
Anyone mad enough to do it an drive? My other half did just that :( and just spent £200 draining the tank. What damage can be expected?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Anyone mad enough to do it an drive? My other half did just that :( and just spent £200 draining the tank. What damage can be expected?

i think if its left running long enough and enough fuel gets around the system, it can cause a bit of damage.

the fuel eats a lot of seals i presume top and bottom end so not advisable really.

im sure someone will be along soon enough to tell you the exact causes.

in a nutshell - just dont make the mistake!

Clio 172 cup
most people put a small amount of diesel in, say a fivers worth before they realize their foolish mistake. The best thing to do in this situation is fill the tank full to the top with petrol to dilute the diesel as much as possible. This exact thing has happened to a few idiots I know and everything has been fine

Clio 172 Mk2
Had the car tank drained yesterday - not sure they purged the fuel system, but they got it started and I was away. Filled up the tank, and drove home gently, but the car is lacking a bit of power and a bit spluttery with the exhaust ever so slightly popping. Hopefully it clears up as its driven. :(

Lots of Alfas
I didnt think a diesel fuel nozzle would fit in a petrol hole. I know a petrol fits in a diesel..

Renaultsport 200
your car should have cut out 100 yards after putting the fuel in. Once you have managed to drain the fuel out and put petrol in everything will be fine. Your car is computer managed and it should have simply stopped so not to cause damage. It's not like it is an older car that would have continued to suck the fuel in, blow loads of smoke and stutter to a halt.

You also didn't need to spend 200 beans on it either. I spent nearly 2 hours draining the fuel tank of a vw beetle that bad anti theft devices on it. The car is now running just fine.

Don't worry, it's really not that bad, it will be fine in a few miles and a bit of smoke!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't they do this on Channel 5. Did a test and nothing actually went wrong, just drained the tank and that was good enough. Do a search.

Clio 172 Mk2
I didnt think a diesel fuel nozzle would fit in a petrol hole. I know a petrol fits in a diesel..

Thats what I was absolutely baffled about! She phoned me up (on the M4) balling her eyes out while I was perhaps a little shoutey, and she explained that the nozzle wouldnt fit but she still put a few litres in with most of it going on the floor. Silly bint :(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Could have been ten times worse mate.

She could have filled it to the gunnels last summer when it was £1.26 a litre of Diesel...

*Pics of said dozy missus?*

Thats what I was absolutely baffled about! She phoned me up (on the M4) balling her eyes out while I was perhaps a little shoutey, and she explained that the nozzle wouldnt fit but she still put a few litres in with most of it going on the floor. Silly bint :(

LOL... proof women are useless.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
ive drained loads of petrol cars filled with diesel, they always seem to run aright after, its putting petrol in diesel which is worse

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Diesel in petrol car is not as bad as other way round, mrs did it in her last scenic.

Just unclip fuel line & turn on ignition with large container handy.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye

SuperStock_1589R-13986.jpg