ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

digi slr

right you lot

400D
D40x

and what lenses would you go for ? its mainly for taking pictures on the honeymoon so versitile would be good we are now looking at going to hong kong bangkok and koh samui or some such thai island so panoramas, low light, temples, animals monkeys/birds/elephants etc etc

advise me !

costs well lets not get silly please !!

BMW F31
as my girlfriend owns a 400D and i use it alot, i would recommend it. very nice weight and overall feel. generally amazing pictures and pretty user friendly, even a novice like myself can take good pictures lol.

The D40 is restricted to only certain lens types and can't Auto Focus with some decent lenses like the 50 f/1.8

How long till the honeymoon? Taken me a year to start getting the potential out of the 350D.

Personally, 400D + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be a good start, if you can raise your budget the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS would be excellent but expensive. Alternatively pick up a 350D if it means you can buy a better lens.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

june next year is when i need it for really but will be going away back end of this year too and most prob start of next year aswell

RB 182
I've got a 350D as the 400D wasn't out when I bought mine and it's a great camera, still need to get the full potential out of it though.

The range of the lens recommended by Pete sounds about right for the thing you want it for I would say.

RB 182
what does the 55-200mm mean when talking about lenses? that the zoom or something?
From what I've picked up so far yes, don't know what it is technically though.

So at 200mm you will be closer to the object you are taking a photograph of compared to the 55mm on that lens. Not much information about the lens there really but you want to look for the aperture value for it as well (I think :eek:)

This should explain focal length in its simplest form (visually anyway) http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm

Remember to select 'Digital' unless you plan on buying a full frame like the 5D, 1.6x crop factor is another long winded explanation on top of f/ numbers, ISO, depth of field etc.... :clown:

See Ukaskew's sticky
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192165

I'd recommend anyone to just get the camera and kit lens really, the price difference of just buying the body is often tiny. Shoot for a while, learn and then buy the lenses/flashes you need...

The D40 is restricted to only certain lens types and can't Auto Focus with some decent lenses like the 50 f/1.8

How long till the honeymoon? Taken me a year to start getting the potential out of the 350D.

Personally, 400D + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be a good start, if you can raise your budget the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS would be excellent but expensive. Alternatively pick up a 350D if it means you can buy a better lens.

would a 17-55 give me enough reach tho? as i would like to use it for other stuff too. regarding f numbers is the lower the number the better for low light ? ie its quicker more light allowed in in a shorter time? or have i got that wrong ?

i was playing witha 1d mk3 at the weekend that was nice !!

D50 instead of D40X if you want to go down that route, £299 at Cameraworld, unbelievable price really.

Personally I've never felt lost with just a Sigma 10-20mm and 50mm f1.8. 10-20 is amazing for landscapes (and night shots), the 50mm is good for just about anything else (portraits, low light, animals, details etc).

D50 instead of D40X if you want to go down that route, £299 at Cameraworld, unbelievable price really.

Personally I've never felt lost with just a Sigma 10-20mm and 50mm f1.8. 10-20 is amazing for landscapes (and night shots), the 50mm is good for just about anything else (portraits, low light, animals, details etc).

what would you have between teh d50 then and the 350 or 400 ? i found it easy enough to hold both when i tried but that was a year or so ago

what would you have between teh d50 then and the 350 or 400 ? i found it easy enough to hold both when i tried but that was a year or so ago

I intended to get a 350D, but after holding it I found it a bit small and less comfortable than the D50. After comparing them I also thought the D50s screen was miles better (and bigger). Personal preference really though, although if going down the Nikon route I would seriously get a D50 instead of the newer D40/X.

Last edited:

would a 17-55 give me enough reach tho? as i would like to use it for other stuff too. regarding f numbers is the lower the number the better for low light ? ie its quicker more light allowed in in a shorter time? or have i got that wrong ?

i was playing witha 1d mk3 at the weekend that was nice !!

Yup lower the f/number the more light it can let in (faster). If you want more reach your going to have to settle for slower glass, the Sigma 17-70 is well rated, although in real world terms that 20 extra mm is a few footsteps! If your happy to travel with more than 1 lens there's plenty of decent 70-300 lenses..?

Alternatively...

The new Tamron 18-250mm would make a good walk around/travel lens, just not great in low light. http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod249.html

There's also the new Sigma 18-200 OS (image stabiliser) which will be out in a month or so apparently...

You could combine one of these with a fast prime in the 20-50mm range for low light work... endless choice :S

thats the problem endless choice lol

so something like this Canon EF 50mm f1.8 Lens would be good for taking pics at small gigs handheld ??

so something like this Canon EF 50mm f1.8 Lens would be good for taking pics at small gigs handheld ??

Yup, although as much as love my nifty fifty, the focusing is erratic and only modestly reliable when using Auto Focus assist on my flash unit. If I was traveling I think a wider prime in the 20-30mm region would be more versatile.. or maybe a wide prime and a long prime ideally (85 /1.8 or 100 or 135).

A red missile
I only have 2 lenses, the 24-105 f/4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS USM, but i'm tempted by the 50mm f/1.8, thinking I want a few primes as well as zooms. If anyone wants to buy me a 400mm f/2.8 i'm not too proud to let them ;)

See My Clio? Tell Me
ie just bought the olympus e-400 and i thnk the quality is amazing the only problem is getting hold of additional lenses

106 GTi
I only have 2 lenses, the 24-105 f/4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS USM, but i'm tempted by the 50mm f/1.8, thinking I want a few primes as well as zooms. If anyone wants to buy me a 400mm f/2.8 i'm not too proud to let them ;)

LOL maybe they can get me a 400 2.8 at the same time !

I am tempted by something wide next - 10-20/22

1.8 Civic EX
have Nikon suddenly made some sort of decision regarding the D50??!? been fine this morning but this afternoon camerworld website now says...

Withdrawn - No longer Available

and it's not on the Jessops site anymore either?!?!

D40x is good but you have to use the lens with motor. Otherwise manual focus :p
400D is good for beginner, but like a toy.
I recommend D80. It gain excellent review from many Japanese magazine.

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Have you considered something like a Panasonic FZ50 bridge camera? Loads of range available from the single lens, ok you don't get the flexibility you have with an SLR but could cover what you need and save you some wedge?

i have been using my dads fz 27 i think it is had some nice results but wanted to have something a bit better but will look at the fz50 too nothing is ruled out

D50 was discontinued a while ago I believe, the D40 and D40x takes it's place.

As for differences...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...debyside&cameras=nikon_d40,nikon_d50&show=all

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

In simple terms:

1) D40 doesn't have an LCD status screen on top of the camera
2) D40 only auto-focuses with AF-S or AF-I lenses
3) D40 has 2.5" screen, D50 is only 2"
4) D40 has 3 auto-focus areas, compared to 5 with D50
5) D40 has no exposure bracketing
6) D40 has unlimited 2.5fps shooting, D50 limited to 12 frames at 2.5fps
7) D40 has bigger, brighter viewfinder

Pros and cons in both directions really, but the lack of full lens support from the D40 means I would snap up (another) D50 over a D40 any day.

See My Clio? Tell Me
just forget bodys for a min m8 and have a look about a lenses! work out what sort of lens your gunna need a see whats about and what body you need!

i bought a Nikon purely because it felt better grip wise and ergonomically... i feel comfort is a must. and very pleased with the quality

Rally bus

I used the Nikon 50mm f1.8 at a gig last week....

rl01.jpg

307 hdi (powered by derv)
PC WORLD STILL HAVE THE D50 IN STOCK. I KEEP HOVERING OVER THE BUY BUTTON. MUST RESIST TILL PAY DAY.