ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital Camera Boffins Please.......!!

6/468 17poo
Holla, well its christmas and the rent's want to no what i want for xmas and i think a digital camera would be wicked ive got a s**t kodak one ive had for ages 3.1mp so pretty dull,

budget is around £180 needs to be pretty portable, thin would be ideal would prefer SD card and sony memory stick as there cheap or i have loads of em!
i want the camera to be able to do that time elapse thing and have a good zoom as im trainin to be an architect so need very good detail views of high buildings!

Any recommendations would be very helpful, cheers, Ryan

Ive got a sony w50. Cost 180 a few months ago and im really pleased with it. Its small, slim, and had a fantastic lens which takes very good pics.

GOLF GT TDI
i got a canon Digital SLR 400 D i like it :)

10.1 MP loads of different setting to choose from to get the pic you want aint tried all them out yet tho ;)

BMW F31
i have an olympus mju400 4.0mp camera that i use when on site, im also training to be an architect, will be finished next year ;)

i find that its perfectly adequate for what i need it for.

you wont get amazingly detailed views of high buildings without a certain camera which costs thousands fo pounds, cant remember what its called now but it allows full height photos of buildings.

will you be taking photos for survey or reference purposes?

either way any camera with 4.0mp + will be fine.

what will you want to do with the photos?
print?
view on screen??

it all depends what your gonna do with them as to what camera to get! ;)

SLK 350
Personally there was one camera range that stuck out from the requirements you specified, thats is the Casio Exilim range.

My friend has a 7mp model, and it's a perfect point and shoot to be honest, very very compact, quick start-up, great quality and an excellent feature set - for not very much cash.

They just bought out the new 10.1mp Exilim, and if my friends is anything to go by, then it should be impressive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FIBON4/?tag=cliospnet01-21

However as for zoom, im afraid thats somewhat of a bridge too far for a compact, you're only likely to get 3x/4x zoom on most compacts because of their very nature, if you require more zoom you either need an DSLR or a prosumer, neither of which are compact or easily mobile.

My advice would be to get something portable like the camera I suggested and then use a program like Photoshop to really zoom in and crop the photo from your software, stick to optical zoom if your doing this though as digital zoom is poo, and it just causes pixelation.

My 2cents

SLK 350
Makes me chuckle, the guy says he needs something compact, and someone comes up suggesting the worlds biggest camera, the 400D.

Salesmen "Welcome to Simply Cars sir, how can I help you?"

Punter "Well im looking for something for the wife, something small, easy to park, and it needs to be economical - any suggestions?"

Salesmen "I know just the car...The Hummer H2"

Lordy :)

GOLF GT TDI
yeh i know my dad couldn't get on with the 400D it he said its a bit complicated for him

thats a perfect sales pitch they would be easy to park just go over the top of the other cars sorted :)

6/468 17poo
blimey you guys know your cameras, basically want it to have good pictures of buildings which i can view on the computer, video would also be good for the fun moment, it defintily needs to be small cant be doing with a round the neck jobby!!

plus going away alot next yr as i finish uni so want to capture the moment with the lads!!ooooh a good size screen on the back is also a must, the only reason i was liking sony is that i got a psp so could view it straight on there but my laptop has a sd slot so sds are gonna be better!
anymore?
is there like a good review website?for loads of em?

SLK 350
Casio Exilim 10.1mp/3x zoom/2.8" Screen/£180~

Reviews:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digit...sio-Exilim-EX-Z1000-Compact-Digital-Camera/p1

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/94/page_1.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/ex-z1000.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0604/06042601casioexz1000.asp

Other suggestions should you deem that not suitable would be:

Panasonic DMC FX01
Sony DSC T10
Canon S80

All of which should be pretty cheap now as they've been around for a whee while.

BMW F31
the only reason i was liking sony is that i got a psp so could view it straight on there but my laptop has a sd slot so sds are gonna be better!

dont worry bout the computer get a usb memory card reader for whatever card the camera takes or just do what i do, connect the camera to the computer via supplied usb cable and download images that way ;)