ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dilemma of buying a Cup or FF 172

Argh!!!!!

I Have had a 172 before and having just sold my integrale Evo I need something a little better than 15mpg on juice so am after another Clio (I used to have a Williams 2 then a FF172... I cant decide whether to go for the Cup or the 'normal' 172.

My thinkings are that the cup has less to go wrong..... Anyone been in the same boat?

106 GTi
I would'nt look at it in the more things to go wrong, if you dont want the the full fat toys the cup is for you. I knew I wanted leather, climate so the decision was easy.

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
yep i just bought a 172 with all toys - ace motor

the 34mpg its returning is a welcome change to my rs cosworth which does a measly 10mpg on full boost when driven hard.

i honestly cant fault the clio as a daily driver

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Of any cup variant the 172 cup is the only one i'd have .The rest are a bit fake in that they weigh too much.
If in any doubt get a 182 ff

ian

BMW Z4 3.0i
I didn't want my interior to look even closer to a standard clio than it already is. Better stereo, climate control and xenons all helped swing it.

A4 Avant & A3
I went for the cup mainly as i like the colour lol.. .the wheels & generally the slightly different look over the FF, however i did want climate.. & managed to find a Cup with CC which is what i have

GazCB said:
Better stereo,
does a FF 172 have a different stereo? i thought they were the same..?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Get the FF the ABS may save your life or keep your on the road!!!!!!!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Get a FF 172 then add the Turinis which transform the handling due to the extra offset and lower weight. In reality, when are you going to need the extra 0.2 sec turn of speed?

BMW Z4 3.0i
my understanding was:

FF 172 - 4x40W + 6 disc changer
Cup 172 - 4x15W (no disc changer)

owning a cup myself...............i would advise you to buy the full fat .
get the luxuries and then make it animal afterwards :cool: :cool:

Do many people have issues with the Xenons? They are my biggest worry!!!

I wish I could keep the Delta and have a clio as my daily driver as Im going to miss her sooooooooooooooo much

VaVa
No issues with Xenons.

Don't quote me if yours break lol but there are certainly no common faults.

If I were you I'd drive both and make up your mind. The difference is far more than the meagre 0. whatever to 60. The Cup handles very differently to the FF (and better imho.)

Out of the two I drove there's was absolutely no discernable difference between them in a straight line. In terms of outright pace it's more a case of whether you get a fast one from the factory or not from my ( limited) experience.

I chose the FF for the luxuries (it's pretty hard to get a better specced car for the money) and the more supple ride. The roads where I live are awful and I found the Cup to be a little too edgy for my liking - the FF is not as sharp as the Cup but I find it easier to hustle along and more adjustable as a result.

Ultimately though, I have no doubt that a Cup would stretch it's legs on a track over a FF.

lagerlout1 said:
No issues with Xenons.

Don't quote me if yours break lol but there are certainly no common faults.

If I were you I'd drive both and make up your mind. The difference is far more than the meagre 0. whatever to 60. The Cup handles very differently to the FF (and better imho.)

Out of the two I drove there's was absolutely no discernable difference between them in a straight line. In terms of outright pace it's more a case of whether you get a fast one from the factory or not from my ( limited) experience.

I chose the FF for the luxuries (it's pretty hard to get a better specced car for the money) and the more supple ride. The roads where I live are awful and I found the Cup to be a little too edgy for my liking - the FF is not as sharp as the Cup but I find it easier to hustle along and more adjustable as a result.

Ultimately though, I have no doubt that a Cup would stretch it's legs on a track over a FF.

good points there chap.......nice 1 ;)

SLK 350
Buy a FF 172, then get yourself a splitter/cup spoiler and some turini's and you have the Cup look, but in more comfort and for that your looking at £600. To turn a Cup into a FF well the cost doesn't bare thinking about.

If you want it a little quick then rip your back seats out, add some lightweight buckets, and ditch the spare wheel theres 40kg~ lighter :)

But seriously i'd only consider a FF, no offence to the Cup lads/ladies, but they are FAR too basic interior wose (which is where you spend your time) and for the money, your better off making your handling sharper with coil-overs or adjustable Koni's with some Eibach springs.

FF 172 for the win!

It depends how you like to drive at the end of the day. As you have a Delta at the moment, im guessing you like to drive hard and fast.

Either version will do this, and do it well. but as Largerlout has said, the CUP is very much more the drivers car.

No it doesnt have all the toys, but what it lacks in comfort it more than makes up for in fun factor. I have a CUP and my mate a FF 172. Speed wise in a straight line, there is nothing in them at all. However the CUP "feels" quicker due to the noise being louder, and the firmer ride.

When ever i travel in his FF compared to the CUP it feels just that, Fat. this is no doubt due to the extra comfort the suspension and seats give. but as has also been said, it doesnt feel as sharpe in the bends.

At the end of the day its down to what you want from the car i suppose.

But what ever you decide, im sure you'll be happy, oh and BUY MY CUP! lol

Thanks for the responses, I have a very stripped out Westfield for raw speed so I will prob go for the normal 172.. I was just worried about the Xenons breaking and costing a small fortune!

Thanks for the opinions/experiences!

Hmmmm do I spend the extra on a 182??!!! decisions decisions haha

Liquid yellow R26 F1
cbscup said:
Bunch of poofs...

Get a Cup ;)

:D

Agreed .. LOL.

cliostatic3.jpg

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
I changed from a ff 172 to a cup , i dont miss any of the toys , the two cars drive completey differant , the cup feels so much better to drive , best thing to do is drive them both back to back . .... dont f**k about just get a cup !!!!!!!!

MINI JCW
by a full fat 182 with cup pack, virtually the same power to weight as the 172 cup but with all the toys and the cup packs give you the same handling as the 172 cup

Best of both worlds

Clio 172 mk2
Preffered toys and comfort so went for 172 full fat.

Sure the cup drives better but I don't do any track days anyway.

Like someone said earlier...easier to upgrade ff 172/182 with aftermarket suspension etc than fit interior/aircon etc to cup.

Just my opinion...don't drive hard enough to get the most from a cup anyway