ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does anyone else suffer from torque steer?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I have noticed my 182 can give a bunch of torque steer when pulling away sometimes; anyone else get this or just me? Im still learnign the car, is there a technique to get around it (excluding "dont boot it")? Also how do these 250bhp+ FWD cars not suffer from extream amounts of torque steer?

I have noticed my 182 can give a bunch of torque steer when pulling away sometimes; anyone else get this or just me? Im still learnign the car, is there a technique to get around it (excluding "dont boot it")? Also how do these 250bhp+ FWD cars not suffer from extream amounts of torque steer?

LSD's?

Yeah mine occasionally gets it, never anything uncontrollable, or even tricky to deal with though.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Equal tyre grip/wear on each side? Road surface the same on each side?

Maybe something's broken...I don't know what but worth a good check over each side.

That said, a little less of giving it some will probably help more than anything else.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
hmm. Mine is when im in 1st or 2nd and it occures when the 4K kick happens. I hope its not an underlying issue! I also have noticed that when pulling away hard in 1st gear there is a loud knocking noise, but I assumed this is becasue of the suspension strut thingy that all 1*2 have unless they are modified? (something need to be ground off iirc?)

The loud knocking you mention you don't mean axle tramp do you? When the wheels spin up? If so, this might be why you can't control the car on full throttle?!

i.e. Wheels spinning = poor control?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
No I dont think the wheela are spinning up, and thats not when it torque steers anyway (the knocking happens all the way through the rev range of gear 1). Also if the wheels are spinning up the ESP light would flash.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
The knocking could be loose engine mounts. Mine were loose under the battery and on the off-side and so the manifold used to knock against the subframe. Get someone to pull the engine forward, tighten mounts and the knocking was gone. Easy fix if it's that.

Listerine & Poledo
I can't imagine a 182 "torque steering" per se.

It hasn't really got the torque to do so, surely? It's not like an old turbo SAAB or Focus RS.

You've probably already tried it, but have you had your alignment & tyres checked?

182, 6r GTi
its not so mutch torque steer if your gunning it and go over or across a road imperfectio say a white line it pulls the car about but thats the change in surfic

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
they were recently replaced i think (previous owner).

Yes had alignment checked and tyres are nearly brand new. I think it might be the the inperfections int he road then as there is a lot of that in the south west as the moment! Dont even know why im paying road tax tbh!!!

Black Sheep
When I first bought the car It seemed the wheel was being ripped out of my hand so to speak. Only because it was something I was not used to cause of owning 1.2 clios ect. Now when I boot it you get the tug on the wheel but you dont care cause you know you will be able to control the car what ever.
Its just when you are not used to the steering wheel is sort of behaving out of your control ( which it isnt ) is when you get a bit worried about it. Unless you have a serious mechanical problem lol.

Black Sheep
I say ripped as the feeling when you are noob ect. The torque steer on a 1*2 is nothing more than a slight tug. Just feels weird when you are used to a car with no power whats so ever.