ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dogbone mount - How would you know?

Ph2 172 Cup
Otherwise known as 'oh no, not another knocking thread...'

OK - the problem is that sometime after changing cambelt & exhaust my car has developed a small knocking noise. It only occurs when pressing the clutch after pulling away in 1st gear or accelerating in 2nd gear, only seems to occur at relatively low revs (<3,500) and I can't actually MAKE it happen, it doesn't occur every time.

It's not a big bang like the manifold hitting the bulk head. My first thought was that the exhaust positioning wasn't quite right and it was bumping gently against the subframe or heatshield, but looking under the car this weekend there's loads of clearance - there's no way it's that.

Looking at the engine mounts, theres a bit of play backwards and forwards in the top mount (about 2mm?) I'm not sure how much there should be, it's certainly not dramatic, and I'm sure Danny at GDI would have noticed if it was knackered.

The dogbone mount has a small mount of play as well (about 2mm side to side), but this could be just the rubber moving...

I've checked wheel bearings, wishbones, anti-roll bar, strut tops... all of which 'seem' fine.

One thing that seemed loose was the gear linkage? It's really wobbly under the car (even when in gear) but I don't have any problem with changing gears. How much play should there be in this?

So... to cut a long story short - I'm looking for more ideas of things to look for? Otherwise I'll just have to wait until it gets worse and more obvious!

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
check the gearbox mount bolt! mine sort of does the same things as yours got it on the ramp and my gearbox mount bolt had snapped in half