ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft or CV boot kit?

Okay, when i got the car i had it under warranty for the first 3 months, after a month or so i noticed a knocking when on full lock when parking. Took it back to the garage for the guy to tell me it needs a new driveshaft and it's not covered under warranty.. Typical really!

Decided to take the wheel off and have a look myself this weekend after a few more months of wear and found that that the large CV gator clip had snapped (possibly due to the shock being worn?) and grease splattered everywhere, I cant see any wear on the driveshaft really and theres still grease in the CV joint, cant see any splits in the gator either.

So am i daft in thinking i can repack the gator with grease and get a new clip and things with be fine? I'm gonna atleast try it for the sake of a few quid but any other ideas?

Few photos:
16910626165_1c3d40590f_c.jpg

16290605893_1cff0071fc_c.jpg

16884723336_e822911d02_c.jpg

16722956998_eb960b0eed_c.jpg

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
as you say for the sake of a few £'s may aswell give it a go before forking out for a new shaft

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Sure its the driveshaft? The top mounts tend to knock at full lock - Renault supply a spacer to fix it.
Only tends to happen when the tyre tread depth gets low. New tyres and it instantly stops.

Yep, as you suggest - just repack it with grease and re-clip it (I've used jubilee clips on the outer boots and have been perfect for 50k+)
If it doesn't solve the issue you've not lost anything but your time and a few pence.

Gonna try this at the weekend, had new front tyres about 3k miles and it was knocking before that anyway :/

Bought some grease and some clips so will keep you updated, hope for good weather Saturday!