ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft or gearbox??

Ph2 Flamer
Right the cars on 94,400 miles. Its been making a whine which sounds like its coming from the passenger wheel or in that vicinity at pretty much exactly 68mph which quietens down to almost nothing by 70mph and below 65mph.

Have been freshening up bits and pieces and have done in the last 2 week: pads and discs all round, new drivers drive shaft (it was split) and tonight the passenger side hub and bottom ball joint. I was sure it was going to be the bearing that was causing the noise but while the car feels a bit smoother it still makes the noise at 68mph. So the passenger side has the original shaft on it but a new hub/bearing.

So my question is can a knackered shaft/cv joint make a whine? I thought from reading around they usually make a clicking or droaning noise.... Gearbox isn't amazing with a crunch into 3rd (changed the box oil last week) so i'm hoping its not the box.

Before I drain the box and have a bash at changing the drive shaft, it would be good to hear if the symptom is likely to be the shaft. Also is there a way to check if the shaft is knackered?

​Cheers