ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Cameras

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Am i mad?

I bought an Olympus E400 last month and ever since I've had a niggling doubt that I bought the wrong brand (due to lens availability issues) with an 50-150mm lens in addition to the std 18-45mm kit lens

So today I bought a Canon D400 with the 18-55mm kit lens too

gonna try them both and see which i like the best

One of them will be up for sale soon ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm was about to get into bed, damn camera threads!

Wise move. The Canon has more lenses and a larger sensor for a start.

I just checked out the cost of ultra wide on the 3/4 Olympus system - £1,099.99!! WTF! My Canon 10-22 cost 1/3 of that!

you may know it, clio?
lol sorry im going to get very keen on this, i used to work at jessops quit like a month ago lol

very very good move basically oly dont make great compact cameras so there SLR arnt quite there aswell, there lenses are proberly 80% harder to get hold of just because theres not many out

canon lenses are even sold in argos, for once they doing some ok i guess lol

but yeh the 400d id a better camera, built better, easy to get hold of lenses and because you can get the better quality lenses (L range or something cant remembe, which is profesonal quality lenses) you able to get better shots.

its all about the lenses no the camera people.

i found canon an ok, not bad to deal with and reasonabily (compared to others) to get repaired but i've drop a 400D when i worked there and didnt have a mark on.

my opinion is the canon 400D hands down, even if you offered the oly for free i would still buy the 400D

most of this is true but im a canon man myself so...

need any more help, advice or just a general chat about the 400D im your man. best to give me a PM mate as i will forgot im type all of this out due to it being 2am and slight drunkness

See My Clio? Tell Me
im having the same problem tbh ive got the e-400 too what do you think it will bring on ebay if i was to sell it?

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Nikon is the way forward and i suprisling like the Samsung GS-X1 ?

you may know it, clio?
the samsung is and OK camera

like a side nikon and canon are the main company.

whilst at jessops i found someone either was a nikon person or canon person.

i found canon the easiest handle, control and user friendly but still having the high quality.

on the other hand nikons arnt as easy to deal with but do have some cool lenses out aswell

See My Clio? Tell Me
so if i was to buy a new camera what should i get 400d or d40x

mods how about a poll on this ?

2004 1.2 Dynamique
lol sorry im going to get very keen on this, i used to work at jessops quit like a month ago lol

very very good move basically oly dont make great compact cameras so there SLR arnt quite there aswell, there lenses are proberly 80% harder to get hold of just because theres not many out

canon lenses are even sold in argos, for once they doing some ok i guess lol

but yeh the 400d id a better camera, built better, easy to get hold of lenses and because you can get the better quality lenses (L range or something cant remembe, which is profesonal quality lenses) you able to get better shots.

its all about the lenses no the camera people.

i found canon an ok, not bad to deal with and reasonabily (compared to others) to get repaired but i've drop a 400D when i worked there and didnt have a mark on.

my opinion is the canon 400D hands down, even if you offered the oly for free i would still buy the 400D

most of this is true but im a canon man myself so...

need any more help, advice or just a general chat about the 400D im your man. best to give me a PM mate as i will forgot im type all of this out due to it being 2am and slight drunkness

Why you quit Jessops, to go to college and learn English?

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
JoelDee - come on man, that was a dickhead comment!

You haven't posted anything on this thread previously so shush :eek:

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
P.S

Not sure about other users BUT with my Nikon D50;

i think if you're into landscape shots you will ned to fork out on a polarizing lens. It really does your tits in when the sky is what lets the photo down.

Yeah its easy enough to sort out in any image editing software but still...that grides my gears!

P.S

Not sure about other users BUT with my Nikon D50;

i think if you're into landscape shots you will ned to fork out on a polarizing lens. It really does your tits in when the sky is what lets the photo down.

Yeah its easy enough to sort out in any image editing software but still...that grides my gears!

A Gradual Neutral Density filter system will help expose for the land and sky properly. e.g. http://www.cokin.com/

what lense for night time landscape shots of say hong kong ?:eek: oh for a 400d

Is 18mm on the kit lens wide enough for you? If not the Sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22's are fantastic if you like wiiiiide...

00783_hongkongbynight_1280x1024.jpg
i dunno if its wide enough i dont have the camera yet its my xmas present from the mrs but i just want to know what i need to buy lol

i want to get results like this
00783_hongkongbynight_1920x1200.jpg

Last edited:
  Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
from the lighting on the cloud above the largest tower it looks like a polarized filter.

some photoshopping been done on there though

EDIT: looking at this one http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/9674/hong-kong-big.jpg that building top looks highly illuminated so that could be show up on the sky. defo longish exposure with the light "stretched" on the building to the right

very clear sharp photo though - it just looks strange...it looks like it has been edited but i can't put my finger on it

landscape shots are the hardest to do IMO

Last edited:
i dunno if its wide enough i dont have the camera yet its my xmas present from the mrs but i just want to know what i need to buy lol

Hmmm no EXIF data but that's a big gap across the waters, so I think he might been using around 18mm. I'd say its a fairly slow exposure looking at the water and the blurry boat, so its probably on a tripod at a guess..

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
OK E400 going up for sale soon

1 month old (hence 11 month warranty left) E400 with std kit lens
+ extra 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens
2GB Olympus Type-M card
1GB Olympus Type-H card
Lowepro bag

How much do peeps reckon I should whack it on t'ebay for?

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
£400+

which lowepro bag is it cos i'll have it off you if its a slingshot one :D

1.8 Civic EX
waiting to hear about a 55-200mm sigma lens at the moment mate but I'll keep ya posted...sell it if someone else wants it before me...

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Gonna whack the camera and the lens on 2 seperate auctions on Thursday evening, will linky for you then :)

See My Clio? Tell Me
im so tempted to buy the lens off you but then ill end up keeping the camera longer and wont be able to sell it! dam it want to do ? defo keeping it till after sunday a chance to use it again and have a play then ill decide

do ya recon i would get say 320 for

e-400 with standard lens boxed as new
plus 2x extra batterys
1gb xd card

????

Skoda
so if i was to buy a new camera what should i get 400d or d40x

mods how about a poll on this ?

d40x has a limited range of lenses available, unless your happy to manual focus.

You can get AFS lenses from 10mm to 600mm and more in various different guises that all auto focus with the d40x.. There are at least 30 nikkor and then the Sigma HSM on top of that.. If you call that limited then you must have a hefty camera bag.. Or is it you're just not a Nikon man!!

BTW Nikon make the best glass of any manufacturer

d40x has a limited range of lenses available, unless your happy to manual focus.

You can get AFS lenses from 10mm to 600mm and more in various different guises that all auto focus with the d40x.. There are at least 30 nikkor and then the Sigma HSM on top of that.. If you call that limited then you must have a hefty camera bag.. Or is it you're just not a Nikon man!!

im sure [FONT=Arial, Verdana][SIZE=-1]Zeiss [/SIZE][/FONT]may have something to say about that

Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor
1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported,
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus,
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus,
4) Other AF Nikkor (Excluding lenses for F3AF)/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II,
5): Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster.
(IX Nikkor lenses can not be used).

Skoda

im sure [FONT=Arial, Verdana][SIZE=-1]Zeiss [/SIZE][/FONT]may have something to say about that

I was comparing the Nikon compatable lenses i.e. Sigma, Nikkor, Tamron... No Zeiss lens will autofocus on a Nikon.. In fact I may be wrong but do Zeiss make any DSLR autofocus lenses?
A quote from kenrockwell.com a man who knows a thing or two about camreas!!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zeiss and Nikon lenses are equally good optically. Zeiss makes fantastic lenses, and so does Nikon. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zeiss makes no junk. Every Zeiss lens is excellent. Nikon makes a broader range and some lenses have only been so-so. When comparing similar lenses from each they will be quite similar. oddly the newest cheap Nikon zooms are unbelievably good while some of the old manual focus Nikkors weren't all that hot. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon lenses are superior photographically because they are autofocus, which lets me make photos that I used to miss. Almost no one uses fixed lenses on 35 mm anymore. Zooms let me get the shots I used to miss while changing lenses.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20 years ago I also used to think my fixed focus manual lenses were better than my friends' AF zooms. 20 years later I realize that I missed a lot of great photos fiddling with gear, and that today the zooms are 20 years more advanced, have fewer ghosts and are sharper than the fixed lenses were.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These excellent Zeiss optical designs have been around for decades.[/FONT]​

AFAIK there are no wide primes that AF on the d40 if you want Nikon glass. Can't pick up budget gems like the 50 f/1.8..

Anywhoo I'm getting out of here before a fan boy argument starts... canon ftw... :clown:

Last edited: