ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Lens Advice

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Firstly, please excuse the this n00b like post. :eek:

I have decided to buy either a canon 350d or a nikon d50, probably with the lens kit.

What kind of lens should i be looking at for decent zoom or wide angle and overall picture quality without spending too much money?

For example, I've seen a 90-300mm EF 1:4.5-5.6 lens on ebay for a reasonable price, including the 18-55mm lens and camera. Is this the kind of thing i should be looking for?

Others include
Sigma EF 70-300mm DG MACRO F4.5 - 5.6
Canon EF 75-300mm F4.5 - 5.6
Canon 35-135mm f4/5.6 USM

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Hi Clart

What I would suggest is to learn with the kit lense, once you have the basics, then you can upgrade, two benefits here, firstly you will understand how to get the best out of the camera, and secondly you have time to save up for a better piece of glass.

What you also need to decide is what will you be shooting most, the reason beign you can get a jack of all trades lense, but it wont be the best and you will find that the image can look distorted or soft.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
the only reason i'm asking, is because a lot of the ones i've seen for sale on ebay have 2 lenses, for what doesn't seem like much more money.

i would avoid the 75-300 canon

to be honest the first lense you should buy is the nifty fifty canon 50mm f1.8 its a good fast sharp lense and its a bargain at about £50
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_26&products_id=109

the sigma 70-300 apo dg macro is a good one i read get the apo one though

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=275

sample images for the sigma
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=266596

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i have also seen a brand new 350d on ebay, with 12 month warranty etc for under £300

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have a 350d, and tbh it is a great camera, the image quality is spot on and for £300 you cant go wrong.

I have an old nifty fifty that has had so much use, I have yet to upgrade to a better lense, but have a couple in mind for xmas

these were taken with my 50

pier.jpg

church.jpg

dita.jpg

they were all without filters but now i have a uv on it at all times and have a circ polarising one too for when i need it (not often with this weather )

first 2 have been photoshopped abit well second one hardly any just a bit of crop really

i just walk around with my 50mm on i fancy a 30 or 35mm prime next

then a 10-20

oh and buy a set of extension tubes for doing macro

just the 50mm
normal.jpg

with some tubes cant remember the combo though :(
macro.jpg

I hear the newly announced 200mm f/2.0 IS USM should be a cracker ;)

Be careful with ebay as if the bodies are imported from HK/US way you don't get international warranty with Canon AFAIK. Check if its sellers warranty or Canon warranty.

Lens choices are endless depending on shooting style. I'm soon to reach a setup I'm happy with..

10-22
28 f/1.8
85 f/1.8
70-200 F4
430EX Flash.
Extension tubes and 1.4xTeleconverter.

But thats not for everyone, best thing you can do is get the kit lens and probably nifty fifty, purely because its cheap, don't use mine any more but it was well worth it...

edit: if you do get a zoom now, the Sigma 70-300 APO DG is considered to be best on a budget.

Canon 400D had already released. But it feel like a toy.

I am using Sony A100. I personally don't like Sony but my friend said I like rare stuffs (rare at the DSLR market), so he recommend me to buy it.

Sony A700 had already released too, much faster in focus!!!

Photos i took of my friend's S3.

Last edited: