ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Easy induction sound (unplugging a pipe?)

Hi,
I saw on a thread (but now i can't find it for the life of me from searching), that some 182/172 users have disconnected one of the pipes on the intake (i think a breather) which apparently gives you alot of induction noise! I just wondered which it was and if anyone has any pics? But more to the point, if i did do it, is it safe? (Surely it's connected up for a reason? :) )
Thanks,
Matt

ahh yea that was it!
so ignoring the pipes part of the post, same still applies, what is it, how do i remove it, and is it safe? :)

edit: now i know what to search for, just ignore this post, as i imagine its been posted a million times :)

just one final question as i don't want to bring up old threads that don't need to be - if i just unplug the CAF pipe instead of removing the valve (wouldn't want to for warranty etc, and easier etc), this will have the same effect? i saw that perhaps you may lose a bit of power due to warm air, but apparently the stock CAF sucks anyway so it'd be about the same, just with more noise?

monaco 172
I took off my valve and to be honest I still cant hear the induction sound over my exhaust and decat anyway. You can remove one of the pipes yes but it may affect the performance Of the car for the worse.

just tried it then & warmed up the car to test, much much beefier induction, and i have the stock exhaust with decat (can't mod til my warranty is over), very impressed; though like you said i probably lost a bit of performance but it's worth it i think!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
If you're just wanting more induction sound have you considered the R25 v6 airbox?

Looking for 182
Just remove the pipe going from the air box to the acoustic value if you want a bit of noise.

Is this the one going into the airbox from the right? If so, how is it attached? I can't feel anything connecting it but when pulling it away from the airbox it won't budge.

Also, do you pull the whole pipe out or leave it loose once you've disconnected it?

Is there any power loss from doing this? Or do you just get a bit of induction noise?

just pull side to side should come off, and also i just left it half way between both ducts, so i still get cold air, but more noise!
perhaps slight loss of power, but up to you to decide!

Looking for 182
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Sounds easy enough to do so I'll see if I notice a loss in power and decide which I would prefer.

E36 M3 Evo, Clio 172
hmm has anyone got any pics of this? i aint looked at mine will have a peek tonight
does it give much more noise?

Looking for 182
I just yanked mine out and went for a quick drive. Certainly makes a nice sound now :)
It's definitely safe, yes?

One thing that concerned me though, there appeared to be some oil spillage around the entrance of the CAF and also at the entrance of the airbox. Is this normal?

i didn't have any oil around mine!
pretty sure it's safe, it only stops a bit of cold air from the pipe (i kept mine in so it's in between the two airbox holees so i get cold air anyway, it just doesnt suck it as much!

monaco 172
take the acoustic value off. i done mine at the weekend sounds deeper wit panel filter. i removed the pipe and i taught it sounded like a 1.2 wit a filter on it. so that went back on

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Yea i took my one out. You really can't miss it. Right hand side of the air box. You need to squeeze it a little bit as there are little clips so to speak keeping it in place. Performance wise i think it made bugger all difference. In terms of temp it is very similar there, JMS's rs2 feeds from the same space!

Looking for 182
A few days after doing this and I am really please I did. The sound is really nice in my opinion, and I haven't noticed anything different with the way the car drives, it just has a bit more grunt. Nothing over the top, just a bit of a growl when you get higher in the rev range :)

320d
Get a ph1 airbox and run it with no airfeeds. There are no heatsoak issues as JMS proved. Something like 5 degrees above ambient at 60mph.

It sounds epic. Best free mod I ever did to my 172.