ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU failure or engine management ?

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
hey, just wondering if any one in the wigan area has a diagnostic machine?

today whilst out my car decided to break down (thankfully i was only 5 min from home), i turned my key and nothing happened and it wasnt even turning over, however the speedo was freaking out and eventhough the engine wasnt started we toutched 120mph lol, anyways i began going over the usual including trying to jump start it, bump start it, checked wires and connections, checked fuses inside and out even checked the airfilter lol, luckily my friend whos only 19 is on his dads insurance and regularly drives his dads land rover defender instead of his 08 plate punto so getting towed home was easy, then i called my other friends dad who's a mechanic to come and have a look, after a lot of playing it came to out attention that it was electrical becuse even shorting out the starter motor wasnt working so we used a set of jump leads to connect the negative terminal of the battery to the engine block to earth it then it started but once started it was idleing at 3500rpm ? wtf lol ( correct me if im wrong but this could be like a "limp" mode programed on the ecu to keep the engine running to get you home? possibly or the throttle positioning sensor), but even wierder is when the jump lead was disconnected the engine continued to run somehow but once i turned the engine off and tried to start it without the rig up eath cable it went back to usual and this is the situation i am stuck with at the moment?

has anyone ever heard of this before and does anyone know how to cure it ?

any help is appreciated

thanks jamie

EDIT: pack of cookies for the person who figiures it out ;)