ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eibach Prokit or Cooksport springs or stock?

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
Hi there

I am restoring a 172 cup, so full suspension refresh including brand new 172 cup dampers, I also have a set of near new 172 cup springs, but I notice the car sits quite high stock, particular in the front.

Considering I am pairing with brand new dampers, what will give the best handling and drop the Eibach Prokit or Cooksports?
I can get Cooksports at £144 and the Eibachs at £159 both brand new.

What do people recommend please?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Any negatives over the stock springs, did you go with Pro Kit or Sportline versions?

I started with some PI springs and they were absolute rubbish. Switched to sportlines and the drop is pretty much spot on, ride is nice as well. The progressive spring makes it quite soft at low speed.

Cooksports offer a similar drop. Prokit ones don't really drop it at all.

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
I started with some PI springs and they were absolute rubbish. Switched to sportlines and the drop is pretty much spot on, ride is nice as well. The progressive spring makes it quite soft at low speed.

Cooksports offer a similar drop. Prokit ones don't really drop it at all.

Cheers fella.
So in short skip the Pro kit as on a cup it won't offer much lower and go straight to sportlines or cooksports. I've read a few people here seem to not rate the sportlines though saying on a Cup it worsens the handling.

So maybe that leaves Cooksports as favourite, or for now just stick with Cup springs and see how I get on. :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Any chance you can give a little more detail please buddy as to what you thought of the different springs you tried?

Sure

Sportlines. Didn’t drop enough (phase 1), found them soft.

Cooksports. Dropped well although lower on the rear for some reason (phase 2), quite crashy and not great on track.

Apex. Had them on a 172 cup for a little bit. Despite the hate I found them fine, dropped well and cheap second hand.

H&R. Sit well, handle great, not too stiff/crashy. World buy again. Current car, been on for about 12/18 months.

The gramms springs that Kam racing seem decent too. But tbh I’d just buy H&r again. Although I think I paid 100 from Ecp with working in the trade. Gone up since.

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
Grabbed a set of grams as want them here tomorrow, hoping they are as good as owners seem to suggest. :)

Shall be going on new cup dampers, new front wishbones, new engine/gearbox mounts with 16" Turini's wearing 205/45/16 AD08R's on my 172 cup restoration.

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
You don't buy any chance know if the Cup 172 has unique wishbones do you?
Ordered online from RPD and the part number suggest they are a new revised version (more caster / camber) and fit all PH2 models.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
You don't buy any chance know if the Cup 172 has unique wishbones do you?
Ordered online from RPD and the part number suggest they are a new revised version (more caster / camber) and fit all PH2 models.
cup ones will fit the just have more caster than std wishbones

Reactions: hph

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
The Grams lowering springs arrived from KAM Racing which are made in the same factory as the Cooksports to a similar specification. The drop is in theory around 20-25mm on a 172 Cup so nothing outrageous and feedback is a tad firmer than stock but improve handling, as I have no real stock reference to go from the only kind of feedback I shall be able to give is how the car feels on them with a complete suspension refresh, but have nothing to compare too.

Here they are next to some pretty fresh 172 cup springs (20,000 miles) you can see the Grams are a small amount shorter, of course once on the car the originals will compress more with the cars weight whereas the Grams will compress less simply due to being a higher spring rate. (Grams are glossy ones and original cups are the matt ones):

m1.jpg

m4.jpg

I also weighed the springs, the original cup springs come in at 6.8kg total, whereas the Grams springs weigh in at 7.9kg total, this again makes sense due to the Grams having more material due to the closer packed coils and thus more coils.