ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical fault.....MOT in a couple of weeks.

PH1 172
Hi all hopefully someone knows what the problem is as I have my MOT in a couple of weeks and use the car daily.

My horn started to only work when it wanted to a couple of weeks back and now it doesn't work at all.
My indicators have started flashing at a really fast pace but the indicator lights on the dash are really faint and can hardly see them. The actual indicators are also flashing at a really random pace or not working at all.

Anyone had this problem before or have any idea what it could be ?

The car is a PH1 172 and totally standard.

Thanks

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
indicator problem sounds like the relay has gone. as for the horn, clean up the connections on it and see if that makes a diffrence. someone else should be along shortly with more info

ryan

Horn check earth and the horn itself along with with power actually getting to the horn
Indicators flash quick usually when there is a bulb gone but if the dash barely displays and they sometimes dont work at all its more than likely an earth issue

PH1 172
UPDATE:

The indicator light on the dash now seems to be visable but it is just lit contstantly when the stalk is moved down or up.
The indicator on the outside is also lit constantly and theres no clicking noise inside the car.

Where abouts is the earth for the horn ?

pretty sure indicator will be an earth issue, unlikely a relay

You will have to trace the earth wire of the horn

PH1 172
Will have a look under the bumper tomorrow to have a fiddle with the horn.

Where is the earth for the indicator ? Im pretty clueless when it comes to vehicle electrics :(

PH1 172
I have just removed the relay that was making the clicking noise when the indicators where operated and now it seem to be working fine with no relay.

Am I correct in thinking it is a dodgy relay causing the problem ?
Would it be on to use the car without the relay fitted as a temporary fix untill I can get hold of a new one ?

Thanks

If you pulled the relay to the indicators they wouldn't work at all so you haven't taken the one out for that. Can't remember if the clio has a separate flasher relay for hazards and indicators-check both. You know your indicators work now so hit the hazard button. I still think it will be the earth as like I say above the relay you have pulled is clearly not related to indicator. Can't remember if there is a common earth or not for all relays, if it's corroded it'll cause all the issues you have currently-may well be affecting your horn relay too hence initially ok then getting worse until dieing altogether