ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine light flashing - no start

172 Track Car
Hi all,
Bit of an urgent one.
I was driving along, the dash went Christmas tree and the car cut out.

Symptoms,
on ignition the engine warning light flashes and the rear wiper moves. Stop, serve and esp lights are all illuminated.
The car will crank but not fire.

I'd guess it's UCH related as the rear wiper is moving, any idea where to start when trying to troubleshoot?

Cheers,
Alex

172 Track Car
Ok, so after replacing the fuse and the unplugging and replugging the UCH the car fired. The rear wiper is still going so either there is a UCH fault or a short somewhere, in the meantime I've disconnected it.
I've just had another 30A ECM fuse go, replaced and everything worked again. Are there any common locations for the ECM to short out?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so after replacing the fuse and the unplugging and replugging the UCH the car fired. The rear wiper is still going so either there is a UCH fault or a short somewhere, in the meantime I've disconnected it.
I've just had another 30A ECM fuse go, replaced and everything worked again. Are there any common locations for the ECM to short out?
When you say the rear wiper is moving, is it doing a full sweep? Or is it doing little movements? If it's little movements check the earth points that are located under the dash top on the dash bar mate. Seen these come loose and cause problems like this.

172 Track Car
When you say the rear wiper is moving, is it doing a full sweep? Or is it doing little movements? If it's little movements check the earth points that are located under the dash top on the dash bar mate. Seen these come loose and cause problems like this.

Sorry, I've been out the country. It's running the full sweep

172 Track Car
Bit of an update on this in case someone stumbles across this in future.

I found two bits of loom where it had chaffed through, one under the battery and the other where the second lambda sensor wraps back under the heats shield. I scruffily tapped them both up and didn't have the problem for another couple days. After a hot and long drive I had another trip, jacket it up again and the tape on the lambda sensor cable had come through again, further inspection revealed a tiny break where the cable the is potted into the crimped connector. Not enough was exposed for a cut and shut with solder splices so I tapped it up again and then wrapped some hose round it, no problem since.

I've yet to look at the rear wiper, don't really use it.

Cheers,
Alex