ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine management

172 cup
What is it that omex, motec, emerald etc.... do that aids performance so much more than just having your car mapped on a rolling road? Will the standard ecu only let you change how the engine runs by so much or what? Always wondered becasue they cost so much!

Mk1 RT + F7p + 172 Brakes
with after market ecus like omex etc, once coupled to the correct sensors (wideband lambda for example) a fully customisable map can be created and edited in car or on a rr.

when you have a standard ecu "flashed" and another map put on its cannot be edited without having the car on the rr and the ecu flashed again with a different map (iirc)

on a side note a woman at my work was quoted £660 + vat for a new standard ecu for her vauxhall astra, you can get an aftermarket one for less than that lol

Yes, but for £660+vat a new ecu will not just bolt in and work. There will be a whole list of sub systems that will not work.

Standalones are really only designed to run the engine, where OEM ECU's have a whole host of other duties. And IMO, if your not modifying your engine to a state where the stock ECU will have issues controlling it, then there is zero point moving to a standalone. OEM ecu's are extreemly powerful and complex items.

172 cup
what's OEM?!

Say i was to have a huge amount of engine work done, what would be so advantageous of getting aftemarket management instead of having my car rolling roaded and mapped if i was to keep it that way and never change it? Sorry i seem to miss the point with management totally but am sure there must be advantages to it!!! Novelty features such as launch control would be great but could the management increase power over standard ecu if the car had the same mods, if both mapped at the same stage :S

OEM is just original equipment manufacturer, so the stock ecu.

There is a point where the stock ECU can no longer run the engine over its entire operating range, and this is typically once you exceed a valve overlap value or change the induction method. A standalone then is require, not because it offers dramatic performance increases, just the ability to control the engine in a manner which you can dictate as OEM ecu's are setup to run speed density and have their own parameters which the engine is 'supposed' to run in between.

However, you wont notice any performance increases between an OEM and aftermarket ECU on mild level modifications (which is what 90% of people run). The added benefit is complete stock running of supported systems such as aircon, dash displays, warning lights, fault logging and diagnostics, cruise control etc etc.