ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Mounts/Exhaust - two threads in one :)

Clio 172
Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching on these subjects but would appreciate any advice that can be given.

I picked up my 172 today and on my 80 mile drive home I wasn't exactly happy with the exhaust. Very loud and very boomy from about 2000-4500rpm. Sitting on the motorway at 70mph was pretty uncomfortable. I noticed it was loud whilst test driving it, but I knew it had a KTR sports cat fitted in 2010 so I thought that might be the cause and could be replaced. Since then I've found that it also had the centre and back boxes replaced in late 2009. The part numbers on the invoice are RNS118 for the Centre and RNS119 for the back box. The only reference to these part numbers I can find online was in this thread from 2008:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?345671-Exhaust-help-advice

So, looks like it's a shitty exhaust. Honestly not sure how anybody put up with the sound for that long... I'm not really sure if I want the sports cat on it either, can anyone recommend somewhere to get a standard cat/centre/back box from? I know it might be sacrilege on here but I'm really not interested in any loud stainless systems.

I'm also concerned about the engine mounts. I can see from the pile of receipts I've got here that it had a set of uprated bushes fitted to the dogbone mount in late 09 and then rear gearbox, dogbone and upper engine mounts done in 2010. Can they go again that quickly? It was fine on the test drive and it was only right at the end of my journey that it began to kick when idling at traffic lights, but I think I heard a knock when changing gear at high rpm (it's quite possible I'm imagining it after reading so many threads about the symptoms though.)

I've uploaded a short video here, you can see the vibration and the kicks from the movement of the water, is this enough for anyone to give me an opinion?

Caveat emptor, I know, but if the mount is knackered do you think this is something I should talk to the garage about or is there no point?

Other than these points I'm really enjoying the car! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator: