ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP + Service lights on - only them !

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Hi everyone,
Today I drove to my work. At about 60mph speed on the road suddenly the ESP + SERVICE lights came on and stayed on until I switched the car off. After a minute, I fired it up again and these lights were off (but I not tried to drive to see if they will come on again).
I know about brake lights swtich and adjusted it yesterday but since then I drove 2 times + the battery replaced. Need to metion that today I was at garage and they replaced the battery mount (it was broken!) and the upper gearbox mount too + yesterday the lower gearbox mount. But since the garage I drove about 45 minutes without any lights.

Brakes fluid is ok also.
Car: clio 172 FF MK2 K

What can I check ?

RB 200 Cup!
check the airbag connector under the seats - mine had come loose and caused these lights to come on - one quick wiggle and all was fine

Clio MkII 172 K reg
How this connector is related to ESP ? I know about the connector under right seat (my car is left hand drive) but it turn on the airbag+service light and not the ESP.

Thank you for helping
Lior

LY 182 FF CUPPED
mate mine is doing it every day too.
Have to keep pulling out the switch under the break pedal....mine keeps sticking 2 clicks in.
like yours though, Turn the engine off - then back on problem solved!!!

Clio MkII 172 K reg
No no no. This situation isn't right. Until yesterday, everything was fine. 2 days ago I took out the brake light switch and adjusted it. Since then I drove about 30km. Yesterday, after 10 minutesof driving the lights came on. I don't think that it related to the brakes switch.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Ok, now the ABS light also came on. Propably the Brake switch.
Will go to renault today to find out exactly.
Somebody has resistance data about this swtich ?

BMW M135i
It'll be the brake switch 99 times out of 100, if more than 4 bar of pressure builds up in the brake circuit before the switch puts the brake lights on then those lights come on to indicate a failed switch.

If you adjust the switch so the brake lights come on as soon as you touch the pedal (as it should be imo) then it won't come on anymore. Thats what I did with mine.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Yes, I adjusted it to come on as I touch the brake pedal but still the ESP + service came on after few minutes. Today at the morning also the ABS light came on. I adjusted it again few minutes ago and on my way home from work will check. If it will come on again, I'll replace this switch.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
this happend to me on humid days or wet ones. sprayed everything under the bonnnet with wd40 and it hasnt happend since. (two years ago)

BMW M135i
Yes, I adjusted it to come on as I touch the brake pedal but still the ESP + service came on after few minutes. Today at the morning also the ABS light came on. I adjusted it again few minutes ago and on my way home from work will check. If it will come on again, I'll replace this switch.
Yep if adjusting won't fix it then replace the switch. They're not very expensive.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Ok, Adjusted it last time at work at the morning and afternoon came home. All the way home everything was ok but I still bought new swtich because I'm going to holiday at the end of a week and don't want to see any french lights came on that will make me nuts.

After all this adjusting, my brake lights still not come on as I touch the pedal but after about 1.5 cm of pressing it. Pissing me of.

P.s.
New switch costed me 14 pounds.

Iceberg 172
Is this with the new switch? ie it made no difference?

How do you actually adjust it though? I fiddled with mine and could move it about a bit, but I don't think you could technically call it an adjustment!

Clio MkII 172 K reg
No, everything ok now with the old switch.
To adjust, youe remove the swtich from the pedal assembly, when you hold it grab the pin and moved it out with a little of power. Then push the brake pedal down as much as you can with one hand and with other hand put the switch back. At the end, realease slowly the brake pedal. The switch will click few times. ADJUSTED;)