ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Euro Tour '11 (Long over due)

As some may remember, a group of CS members set out on a tour of Europe. So here's my account of how the trip went. Apologies for the lateness of it all, but here goes...

Before setting off, Myself, James and Geddes travelled down to London to meet up with Genyx. It was a late arrival as i'd been at work the whole day.

Day 1 - London.

After very little sleep, Everyone woke up excited about the day we had ahead of us.

Whilst waiting for Adam's friend Chris to arrive, we set about the task of applying our trip stickers..
3.jpg

4.jpg

Eventually, he arrived. So we set off to Dover.

Because we'd set off a little earlier than expected we tried to catch the earlier ferry.
5.jpg

Success, they let us on 2 hours earlier than we'd booked. Result!

6.jpg

The time came to board the ferry, and off we went on our epic road trip.

7.jpg

Couple of hours passed and we arrived in Dunkirk, ready for quite a long drive to Challons-en-Champagne in the middle of France. This would be our first halt of the trip.

8.jpg

9.jpg

After a few miss-haps, and wrong turns we eventually arrived at the campsite. It was very late so we set up camp, had a beer or 2 and got some sleep.

Day 2 - France

Another night of not a huge amount of sleep, we went for a walk around the little village we were in.

11.jpg

After a good walk around, we went back to collect the cars so we could go in search of a supermarket for food and water.
Finding some food, we returned to the camp site and made lunch.

12.jpg

Later that evening, AdamP set off to join us. (He drove from the midlands to us, which was about 600 miles in 1 day)
After joining us in the small hours of the morning, we headed back to bed for the early start we had the following day.

Day 3 - France/Switzerland

Having had some sleep, everyone feeling refreshed, we packed up and set off for Switzerland.

13.jpg

We had a few hundred miles to cover most of which was motorway.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Hours passed and we got nearer and nearer to our destination - Lake Geneve. We turned off the motorway and came across some amazing views.

17.jpg

18.jpg

We had an epic night here, after many beers had been drank, Chris thought it would be a good idea to become a human flame thrower. Which resulted in setting himself of fire, and AdamP Falling down quite a steep hill (Haha).
Anyway, before we cause too much harm, off to sleep we went.

19.jpg

Sadly, i don't have any photos from the campsite in Lake Geneve.. Also, we didn't have the best of nights here. Being woken up at 6am by a police officer telling us to move on or we'd be arrested. (Apparently they don't like you camping on the national park -Whoops!)

Day 4 - Switzerland - Lenzerhiede

Being rudely awakened by the Police we packed up and set off. As we were staying in switzerland heading south, we stayed off the motorways and headed for the next camp site.

20.jpg

21.jpg

A couple of hours later, we arrived and set up camp.

26.jpg

27.jpg

After sorting out tents, we went and explored the surrounding area.

22.jpg

25.jpg

23.jpg

Eventually we headed back to the campsite for some food. There was a lovely restaurant literally at the entrance to the camp site, so we ate there. Geddes became fond of the waitress and invited her back to his tent haha !

Day 5 - Switzerland/Austria

Today was one of the days we'd been looking forward too. On our way to Austria we got to drive the San Bernadino Pass.

31.jpg

Half way up to the Start of the pass, we pulled over for a photograph. When we were astonished to see another group of people doing the same trip we were currently doing, all be it they were going in the other direction to us. We had a chat with the guys from the Subaru Legacy from, had a group photo, then went on our way to the start of the Pass.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Reaching the Top of the pass, we pulled over again for a couple of photo's and toilet stop.

35.jpg

36.jpg

Hammering down the San Bernadino was AMAZING!!! Reaching the bottom, everyones breaks on fire we stopped once more and let the cars cool down.

37.jpg

Today was one of the longest drives we'd have to do. So off we went again, this time towards the motorway.

38.jpg

Many hours passed, we had arrived in Austria. After setting up camp again, we had a few beers, food and then went to bed.

Day 6 - Austria

Today would mostly be spent exploring what was around us. Little did we know, we'd find some of the best roads we'd experience on the whole trip, right behind our campsite!

39.jpg

40.jpg

Blasting around the mountains lasted a good few hours, so we decided to head for some food in a local town.

42.jpg

43.jpg

Having had some lunch we set course back to the camp site. Re driving the awesome roads we'd been hooning about on for the last couple of hours.

Later that evening, we decided to go to the American diner that was in front of the campsite. They did amazing burgers here, they were HUGE ! Anyway, many beers were drunk and we headed back to the site. Where we set up a small camp fire.

45.jpg

More beer was drank then it was time for bed.

Day 7 - Austria/Germany

Today we'd be heading to germany. Originally we were supposed to go to the Sinshiem auto museum but after a few chats we decided to head straight for the 'Ring.

46.jpg

47.jpg

49.jpg

A few hundred miles later, we were there ! The Hotel at the 'Ring was fully booked (Even though we'd reserved our rooms months before) So we went in search of a campsite nearby. Eventually finding one, we made a big mistake. Deciding to take 2 cars to go and get some food from the supermarket. Having drove back into Adenau we realised the shops were all shut, so we made do with pizza's and kebabs, which were nice i might add.

Anyway, on returning to the campsite, we were about to turn into the junction and some idiotic German man decided to overtake us...

Resulting in a side on collision with Adam. Initially we thought This is going to be messy, but luckily the damage was only cosmetic. Ill not post pictures because i believe Adam is still in the process of sorting this out.

Day 8 - Germany

Today would be spent mostly at the 'Ring.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

55.jpg

After a long day watching the cars, we headed back to camp.

Day 9 - Nürburgring

Today was the day we'd all have a go around the track. Whilst waiting to go on, we heard of a nasty accident involving the ring taxi, and quite a few other cars, slowly they started filtering past us on the recovery wagons.

56.jpg

Ill not post anymore as it's not nice!

Anyway, we'd managed to check into the Ring hotel and dumped all our stuff and headed for the track.

On our laps, there were a few crashes again which resulted in the track being closed for hours.

Back to the hotel we went to get ready for our meal in the local Italian restaurant around the corner.

57.jpg

58.jpg

60.jpg

Day 10 - Germany/Belgium

Another early start saw us headed for Belgium.

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Arriving in Brugge. We went on the hunt for a hotel, as we'd had enough of camping. Haha.
Finding one pretty quickly, we settled in and relaxed for a short while. By this point, James had left us and headed home.

65.jpg

66.jpg

That evening, we went out for food and a few beers.

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

I really enjoyed Brugge. A nice place. Sadly that's all the photos i have from there as my camera died.

Brugge was our last stop, the last day would be spent travelling home. So off we went back to Dunkirk, Then home.

That's pretty much my view of the whole trip, (sorry for the long post)

Hope you enjoy the read.

Stu.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Brilliant write up! Thanks :)

Only thing i worry about is the toilet situation at camp sites, whats it like?

pimp mobile Zafira
Looks like an epic trip. Just got back from a mini trip into France last night. Albeit no where near as good As this one. Roads over in France, Germany, Austria etc are so much better than over here.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Nice write up! Really can't wait till I get a chance to do a similar trip. What was your total mileage for the trip roughly?

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I love how you all say your going to do it, but don't, pussies!

Was the best holiday ever! Can't wait to do it again soon!

RB 200
suppose i'll have to get myself into gear and sort my photos out haha ... i'll do mine shortly ... epic trip though .. hope to do it again one time eah lads

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice little read that mate.

Never been interested in road trips across Europe etc but seeing some of those pics makes me want to do something like this so much.
Maybe one day lol :)

Yerrrrrr buddy.

I haven't been on here in ages, don't even know why lol. I really want another gay beer in Bruge. And next year, I'm deffo up for doing this again.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Who's the fells in the black v-neck near the start of the first post?

He looks spookily like my mate Chris. lol

I'm in for next year though, definitely. I'll start saving this Summer.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Quality write up Stu.

I really want to do this too. Unfortunately, the missus doesn't and it not the kind of thing my mates would be into. Maybe one day...

Big gay beer for my big gay friend. Haha!

Oh they finally found the right insurance company for my crash, got the details yesterday so hopefully ye old sunshine bus will be fixed soon.

I have't got any gay shoes anymore, ruined both pairs. So yer, I actually own "proper" shoes now.

Come with us next year Luke, I went with these guys by myself, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Come with us next year Luke, I went with these guys by myself, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

I may be tempted fella. Always get well jel every time I see one of these write up's. Where've you been!?

Oh they finally found the right insurance company for my crash, got the details yesterday so hopefully ye old sunshine bus will be fixed soon.

I have't got any gay shoes anymore, ruined both pairs. So yer, I actually own "proper" shoes now.

Can't call you gay anymore lol :-(. Yeah, we don't bite Luke. ;-).